Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920196 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1515 on: January 14, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1516 on: January 14, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1517 on: January 14, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1518 on: January 14, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
Training today was at a hot Vic Park. It started around 9am and finished about 2 hours later. The cool change thankfully came around 10.30 but it was warm in the sun. A day the boys earnt their money.

I got there about 9.15 and I saw Cotch, Connors, Gourdis and Nahas leaving so they weren't around long. Petts was running along the boundary but left as well shortly after. I didn't see Morton or Patto. Browny didn't do much except have about a 100 snap shots at goal. Adam Thomson left during training so I'm not sure what was wrong with him. Apart from those guys everyone else trained.

As for training itself they first worked on a couple of full ground things for an hour. As well as the usual run and carry and coaches telling them to take their man on they also were working into the drill spreading from little groups placed evenly around the ground. So you would say a 4 on 2 situation in each group with the 4 attackers starting close together with the 2 defenders and then as the ball was kicked towards them the 4 would spread quickly into the space to offer up leading options. I know we're hearing Cousins this and Cousins that but his kicking skills are spot on. Every kick of his is to the advantage of the reciprient and hits the target whereas others were rusty and kicked the occasional pass that landed at the feet of their teammate.

They then changed the drill slightly so it was more game based. Defenders zoning and spread amongst the attacking team while it was one-on-one up forward. The first time the kicked off all 3 kicks missed the target  :P so Cambo blew his whistle, told them you've got to hit your targets and made them do it again. The skill level improved as the drill went along and players started to pinpoint longer passes that split the defence which gained praise from Cambo. They had Lids, Cuz, Jordie, JON, Schulz, Foley, Whitey and Jacko behind the ball starting from HB as he rebounders. Richo, Jack and Cleve up forward from what I could see. It seemed everyone was encouraged to play on quickly. Even the lead-up targets would mark, take a step back away from the mark and then either dish off a handball to a receiver running past or just play on themselves.

After the run and carry drills they did some punishing back-to-back-to-back length of the Vic Park sprints. Foley finished first by 5m in about all of them followed by Jacko, Whitey and Hislop if my eyes didn't deceive me. Poor big Andrew Browne was feeling it big time afterwards at the drinks break. Hands on the head and gasping for air. Welcome to AFL training. Good on Jack to pat him on the back and to give him encouragement.

They then finished off with some team-based goal scoring. They'd have a group line up 50m out on a line between two cones with 5 defenders in front them. An attacking group would then have to handball and work one of their teammates into space to have a snap for goal. This was done directly in front and on a 45 degree angle. Ummm all I'll say is we were a bit rusty.

Lids and Cuz stayed out of the last 30 minutes of training and did some reflex drills together with a couple of the trainers. The first year guys also did their own thing away from the main group as did the rucks - Simmo, Putt, Vickery and Gus.

As I was leaving I noticed Brian Cousins was watching training. Apparently his mum was there too. Good to see Ben now has solid support around him.

I took some photos myself so I'll post them later on.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1519 on: January 14, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »
Pics from today's training......

Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

The boys getting ready for another sprint // Hislop gets a massage as another group sprints

Foley, Jacko and Whitey lead the pack // Foley and Hislop finish first
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:40:19 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1520 on: January 14, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »
Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

What repeatedly sprinting in 39 degree is like 

Vickery, Gus and Simmo walk off as Lids cops one low! // The newbies and Rance and Thursty train away from the main group.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1521 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »
Appreciate the great pics but Pick 4 not working for me cyclops. :-\

Training today was at a hot Vic Park. It started around 9am and finished about 2 hours later. The cool change thankfully came around 10.30 but it was warm in the sun. A day the boys earnt their money.

Another Mighty report. :)

Bloody hell it looks like thirsty work.

Speaking of which I have hardly heard a peep about Wil this off season, how's he going MT?

Also we've heard about which boys are flying but are there any that are doing it noticeably tougher than others?

Cheers as always. 8)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1522 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:31 PM »
Just a couple more things from training I forgot to mention earlier....

The crowd was over 100 people there. Plenty of kids in Tiger guernseys too with school holidays. Cuz knows how to pull a crowd.

Bucks showed up with the AIS kids to watch us train.

In the goalkicking drill, Polak was a defender intercepted the ball. Jack spent the next 5 minutes saying great defence Graham Polak. You can't shut Jack up lol. Even when everyone was stuffed from the sprints and trying to gain their breath he was still very vocal encouraging the group.

Polo looked very good today. Hopefully a sign the riot act he was given has sunk in.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1523 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »
Speaking of which I have hardly heard a peep about Wil this off season, how's he going MT?
He trained for most of the session today but for most of the preseason as he did during the actual season last year he doesn't always train every session. I'm not sure why. Maybe Will and the fitness staff know his limits?! I'm sure when the actual scratch matches start he'll be involved.

Also we've heard about which boys are flying but are there any that are doing it noticeably tougher than others?
The newbies always do it tough. It's a big jump from training say 3 nights a week in the U18's to full-time professional 6 days a week with the elite open age. The Club wisely only makes them do only part of the training each session to protect their developing bodies. There was an article in the Age yesterday about junior footballers (AIS kids) copping injuries before they arrive at the AIS through training too hard.

The older guys also need to be treated with kid gloves except Richo does everything anyway because he is a freak who appears to be getting better with age. Browny has slowed down a fraction.

Cotch is still carrying that achillies problem  :-\.

Apart from that everyone who is uninjured appears to be putting in. It's hard to get a true guide as they've done no real match practice yet.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1524 on: January 14, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »
Appreciate the great pics but Pick 4 not working for me cyclops. :-\
Ta Magic. Fixed. It's a bit blurry but it shows Hislop finishing ahead of the others with Foley.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1525 on: January 14, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »
Great info as always. Thanks for the update on WillyT & the strugglers.

Cotch is still carrying that achillies problem  :-\.

It is of concern as it's been some time now.
Do you know the extent of the injury?
Is it tendinitis or a partial tear?

I am a little worried considering he's also had problems on the other leg too.
Safe to say he is the last player we need having ongoing injury concerns.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #1526 on: January 14, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
Just a couple more things from training I forgot to mention earlier....

The crowd was over 100 people there. Plenty of kids in Tiger guernseys too with school holidays. Cuz knows how to pull a crowd.

Bucks showed up with the AIS kids to watch us train.

In the goalkicking drill, Polak was a defender intercepted the ball. Jack spent the next 5 minutes saying great defence Graham Polak. You can't shut Jack up lol. Even when everyone was stuffed from the sprints and trying to gain their breath he was still very vocal encouraging the group.

Polo looked very good today. Hopefully a sign the riot act he was given has sunk in.

did i miss something "MT"?

what "riot act he was given"?

great reporting.  :thumbsup

no good about Cotchin.  :-[

is Cotchin running?

how is Tambling training?

how is Hughes training?

Offline tigers_of_old_1980

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #1527 on: January 14, 2009, 10:31:46 PM »
Excellent work MT, thanks!

I look for ward to their next training session so I can take a few pics and post a report next time too.
10 PREMIERSHIPS

Ramps

« Reply #1528 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
Id like to know how Vickery, Thomson and Hislop are going ... anyone who knows please tell us ;D

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #1529 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:30 PM »
thanks for the reports and pixs  good stuff
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench