Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920196 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1620 on: February 13, 2009, 04:34:27 AM »
1) why didn't Ben Cousins train?
Cuz trained but he just didn't do everything. I'm guessing it was a lighter training day for him. Normally the older guys get a session off here and there compared to the others to keep them fresh. There's no injury or anything as he was kicking and running fine.

i truly believe Richmond's problem is our entry into the forward line.

we seem to not have a structure at all.

those five teams have a structure and any player can kick goals if the team follows the forward line plan.

i really really really believe that Richmond have better players that can kick more goals then any of those teams, but our problem is the entry into the forward line.

we have the talent to share it and work out plans for ever forward line player kicking 2-3 goals a match with someone kicking the odd 4-5-6 goals.

if you do the math on those totals, Richmond would be one of the most attacking team in the AFL.

so my question to you MT is ...

2) have you seen any forward entry so fair that you have noticed. who kicked it? and who marked it?
We did finish 2008 as the 5th highest scoring side but I agree we can improve the way we enter the forward 50. IMO we need more options across HF leading up and at the kicker. Players who are reliable long goalkickers from 50m are valuable. Jack is doing this now out of the young cubs but the others need to as well instead of leading out into the space around the pockets and away from the kicker. I'm hoping as the other young talls bulk up and gain confidence at AFL level they will straighten us up more. Of course you also need mids who can take the edge off the pace of their kick so those that are leading up can mark it. There's no needs to kick hard bullet passes to teammates 25-30m away who have 5m on their direct opponent. It's February so the skill level at training is still shall we say "rusty". We look very good and move the ball quickly when we hit our targets. It's when there's an unforced error that a whole play can be stuffed up. Even if we maintain possession every missed target slows you down.

3) when do we find out the "26" players off to Fremantle?
See the Squad for Freo game thread.

4) who are your Top 5 '08 - '09 Pre-Season performers? for what reason?
Tough one.

Whitey - just looks incredibly fit and ready to go up a notch.
Rainesy - just like Matty he looks fit. I hope he's found new tricks though.
Richo - superfreak
Jacko - still like Rainesy has to prove himself in actual matches but has trained hard and very well over summer.
Edwards - his intraclub effort has bumped up his ranking in my eyes.
Jack - I know it's six lol but just couldn't leave him out. Infectious enthusiasm.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #1621 on: February 13, 2009, 07:55:43 AM »
Richo - superfreak

Superfreak ... Superfreak ... He's super freaky!!! LOL.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1622 on: February 13, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »
Richo - superfreak

Superfreak ... Superfreak ... He's super freaky!!! LOL.
Thank you Grand Master Funky Richo  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1623 on: February 19, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »
Training today was at a warm Vic Park today. It started around 11am and went to about 12.30. We found a convenient spot to watch the session where you can hear everything but more on that later.

In rehab were Cotch (left early again), Patto and Petts from what I saw. A friend said she spoke to Cotch on Friday and he told her he's improving. He had no support on the ankle or achillies when she spoke to him. Cotch didn't mention a return date. Round 4 is what she's heard. From what I saw everyone else trained although Richo only trained for the first couple of drills while and Newy and Sugar didn't join in the last drill.

Onto training and the first drill they were doing when I arrived had the squad split into two with small groups running and linking up via handball while "defenders" with tackle bags tried to bump them and force errors. After Sunday it was great to see more handball lol.

The whole squad then moved into the centre of the ground for a chat with the coaches and then got into the next drill which was to work on hitting up a leading target by foot. Basically we had players running through the centre and then drilling 40-50m passes to forwards leading out from the square. A few sloppy kicks that ended up at the feet but obviously the coaches also saw that our entries inside 50 on Sunday weren't enough and up to scratch.

The rucks - Simmo, Putt, Gus, Vickery and Browne - by this stage had split from the main group and were working on body positioning in ruck and marking contests with Rawlings and Monkhurst. Simmo shows his experience in these situations although the young guys like Browne showed they have good hands. As I mentioned in the player photo thread Vickery can leap higher than most players and certainly got off the ground more than Monky lol. Poor Gus had the marking yips today with the yellow footy. He was the last off the training track because he didn't leave until he started hanging onto his marks. Thursty and JON later joined them with Thursty acting as a close defender on Simmo and Gus when practising their marking on the lead. Simmo said it better having someone to compete with while Thursty said this sort of practice helps with his timing.

Back to the main squad and after another chat in the centre of the ground they added run and carry to the previous drill of hitting up leading targets in the forward. Starting from CHB a player would to someone in the centre of the ground and then run on to receive the handball and then fire a 50m pass to the leading forward. These drills really show up who has the best skills with Cuz and Lids the standouts. Out of the newbies Gilligan was very clean with is disposal. They stood out to be honest as nearly every attempted run involved at least one skill error (mostly errors were kicks landing at the shoelaces). Schulz yelled out "F---" when Jacko's pass missed him. Jay then missed the goal  :wallywink and a friend said he missed it because he was still peeed off about the pass lol. One run had 4 errors out of 5 disposals including the forward missing the goal  :-\. Hopefully just February rustiness.

Midway through the players had to do a lap around the boundary before getting back into it. I heard Plough from our handy viewing spot tell Jordie to lift his training performance (which he did as on his next run he hit all his targets). Connors must have broken a team rule because Terry told him off - "it's about the team not just you" and Daniel then ran a lap around the boundary back to the exit and we didn't see him again. Mind you at the end of this drill the squad thinned out to what looked like most of those who played on Sunday plus Cousins, Vickery, JON and Thursty. I'm guessing they could come into the squad against Collingwood. The coaches were pretty happy with how the boys executed the drill at the end of it.

The final drill was just the usual mark, run and kick. They then finished off with some goalkicking. Cuz did the whole session. Ch 10 news tonight claimed "he's flying". We'll see how he goes in a week's time.

Any questions just fire away. Photos to come.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1624 on: February 19, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
Brilliant reports as ever MT. Cannot underestimate how much they are appreciated. :)

Thursty and JON later joined them with Thursty acting as a close defender on Simmo and Gus when practising their marking on the lead. Simmo said it better having someone to compete with while Thursty said this sort of practice helps with his timing.

How is Thursty looking?
Has he bulked up noticeably? Recent pics of him I have seen show a boy who's become the man over the summer.\

Schulz yelled out "F---" when Jacko's pass missed him. Jay then missed the goal 

Sarge had better start to get it together if he wants to be on the list in '10.
Others are closing fast and he's just about out of time.
This comes from me a big fan and supporter of his over time.

Connors must have broken a team rule because Terry told him off - "it's about the team not just you" and Daniel then ran a lap around the boundary back to the exit and we didn't see him again.

Dan's another of Jay's type. A heap of talent just needs to focus it better.
I really hope he can make big strides this year.
Is he a chance to play this week you think?

Cuz did the whole session. Ch 10 news tonight claimed "he's flying". We'll see how he goes in a week's time. .

Rehardless of how Cuz goes for us this year it's hard not to get excited by his Y&B debut.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1625 on: February 20, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »
Pics from yesterday's training....

Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

handball drill with tackle bags // The rucks Ty, Simmo, Browne, Putt and Gus with Monkhurst

Simmo and Gus contest a ruck contest // Lining up for the next drill

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1626 on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:55 AM »
Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Running a lap // Browne and Cleve contest

Simmo marks in front of Thursty

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1627 on: February 20, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
Ta for the kind words Magic :cheers

How is Thursty looking?
Has he bulked up noticeably? Recent pics of him I have seen show a boy who's become the man over the summer.\
Thursty does look a bit bigger in the shoulders. Check out pic 7.

Dan's another of Jay's type. A heap of talent just needs to focus it better.
I really hope he can make big strides this year.
Is he a chance to play this week you think?
I hope so but he doesn't want to go annoying the coach  :-\.

A friend said to Daniel the other day she's expecting big things from him. He replied he's expecting big things from himself too.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #1628 on: February 20, 2009, 12:18:31 PM »
 thanks for the update and pixs gents
  any word on young Rance  is he a chance to play v the pies ?
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1629 on: February 20, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
Fantastic as usual MT, really can't thank you enough for these reports. Was Cogs anyware to be seen??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1630 on: February 20, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »
Oops I forgot about Cogs WAT. Nah he wasn't there yesterday. Probably another week or two away with the knee.

Like Connors I hope Rance plays too but neither were in that main group towards the end of training which composed of mainly those who played on the weekend plus Thursty, Jordie, JON, Cousins and Vickery. Sugar was still around too at that stage. It looks like the INs will come from those 5 or 6.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1631 on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »
Cheers MT, I would like to see Rance play, lets hope they are going to give him a go at some stage.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #1632 on: February 20, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
Oops I forgot about Cogs WAT. Nah he wasn't there yesterday. Probably another week or two away with the knee.

Like Connors I hope Rance plays too but neither were in that main group towards the end of training which composed of mainly those who played on the weekend plus Thursty, Jordie, JON, Cousins and Vickery. Sugar was still around too at that stage. It looks like the INs will come from those 5 or 6.

:thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1633 on: February 22, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1634 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »
Good on you OE... :thumbsup

"Rucks: