Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920255 times)

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1635 on: February 24, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »
Training today was at a sunny Vic Park. A bit different today as they had a normal open session from 11am for half an hour with the media making up half the crowd. Then at 11:30 it was closed session time and they (John Vickery) threw everyone out that they didn't know  ;D. Of course OER's reporters were allowed to stay and watch the last hour of training :thumbsup.

In rehab today were:
Cotch - only did a bit of boxing and a few snaps from the boundary at goal. Pretty funny at the end when Richo had about 3 goes near the point post and just missed them all before Cotch has just one go and squeezes it through the middle.

Cogs - had a stretch bandage around his right knee. He did a few laps around the boundary.

Cleve - was also in rehab and did laps with Cogs.

Patto - same as Cleve.

Petts - trained with the main group for the first time for the first 30 minutes then joined the boxing in the rehab group.

Polak - likewise trained with the main group initially before sitting out the scratch match and joining the rehab group.

I don't remember noticing Thursty today but I might have just missed him in the pack.

As for training itself, the open session was a pretty much stock standard kick, mark, handball drill. The media were mainly taking snaps of Cuz. 

I can't really say too much about the closed session except to say they played a short 10 minute each way scratch match and we were wondering what was so secret about what they were doing lol. It didn't look any different from a gameplan point of view. Perhaps a couple of positional moves with the younger guys although anyone here on OER would guess where they played anyway. The younger guys based on today won't be shielded away from key positions. Richo will remain on the wing, Cuz in the midfield, Rance at CHB, and Vickery and Simmo swapping between forward/ruck.

The skill level by foot on the whole was a marketed improvement on last week. A couple of turnovers but most kicks hit their target and some of the longer footpassing was impressive at times. The goalkicking could still improve with Richo missing a goal on the run from 30m out and yelling out "F---" at the top of his voice lol.

Lids was the standout IMO. Brought his own footy and used it well through the midfield. His goalkicking was on song too today. Threading the eye of the needle  :o.
Cuz played in the midfield and got one clearance which I mentioned in the other thread when he gained possession from the tap, dished it off and then ran forward to be near the contest when Simmo marked up forward on the lead. I think that means he's ready to go  ;).
I kept an eye on JON as I knew he was playing on Thursday and apart from one kick into the space in the forward pocket that missed everyone, he hit every target in general play. Played both across HB and HF.

They finished off with some in close handball and snap shots at goal. a few misses (LOL @ Gus kicking around his body and not making the distance  :wallywink) but Morton showed how it's done.

Any questions fire away. No photos this time as I arrived about 10 minutes before they threw everyone out and I wasn't sure if we were allowed to take photos during the closed session and I didn't want ot be thrown out lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1636 on: February 24, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
I forgot to add that Schulz almost cleaned up Richo in a pack marking contest in the goalsquare. Richo got up gingerly but he's okay. A force of habit those two collide at least once every game  :P.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1637 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »
Here's some Herald-Sun footage of training plus Plough chatting to the media:

http://player.video.news.com.au/heraldsun/#Ik58bboAA_4ErzCbLEy3rTayBLx_6d1C

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1638 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
Thanks MT. :)

How did Connors train? Do you expect he will play?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1639 on: February 24, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Robbo headed down to training too today and talks about Richmond with Jon Ralph:

http://player.video.news.com.au/heraldsun/#JDzhFytKeFuZPqvILgno4p9jhrv8H5mN

Robbo really like the look of Vickery. Tall as Monkhurst (but not as fat lol) and athletic. Said Vickers looks a likely type.

Lids is a jet.

Browny looks fit and ready for a big year.

Joel looks a lot slimmer and fitter to him although a trainer said he's still at the same weight. Pressure on Joel to start the season well unlike last year which resulted in him getting dropped.

Robbo expects Cuz to play 70% of the game maybe on a wing and Pies to play someone young on him like Cook to learn from Cuz.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1640 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »
Great going yet again MT, how about Collins, how is he going??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1641 on: February 24, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
Collo played in the midfield WAT and got a couple of possessions once the play broke out into the open. He wasn't too influential on the play. Interesting to see if he gets more of a run this week or gets dropped to run around with Coburg.

Thanks MT. :)

How did Connors train? Do you expect he will play?
He did the whole session which was good to see. I didn't pay too much attention to him sorry. He must have been either playing across HB/HF at the other end of the ground in the scratch match as I didn't see him up our end or at the centre bounces in the midfield.

Not sure if he'll play Magic. I would prefer Daniel to play than Kingy but out of the nine changes we could come up with it was hard to find room for him given what we were told. I guess if he doesn't play on Thursday he'll come into the side the following week. I believe he played in a Coburg intraclub match on Saturday (no news on how he went sorry). Coburg have their first practice match for the year on Saturday at Gosch's Paddock so if we don't see him on Thursday he should be playing Saturday.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1642 on: February 24, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »
Thanks MT, it would be goo to see him get a real go imo.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1643 on: February 24, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »
Thanks MT.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1644 on: February 24, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »

I kept an eye on JON as I knew he was playing on Thursday and apart from one kick into the space in the forward pocket that missed everyone, he hit every target in general play. Played both across HB and HF.

Thanks for the report MT, as always very insightful.

Lets hope JON has a decent game on Thursday night, seems like a genuine, decent kid and it might shut up some of the impatient posters who expect him to develop at the same rate as Lids.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1645 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:29 PM »
Robbo headed down to training too today and talks about Richmond with Jon Ralph:

http://player.video.news.com.au/heraldsun/#JDzhFytKeFuZPqvILgno4p9jhrv8H5mN

Robbo really like the look of Vickery. Tall as Monkhurst (but not as fat lol) and athletic. Said Vickers looks a likely type.

Lids is a jet.

Browny looks fit and ready for a big year.

Joel looks a lot slimmer and fitter to him although a trainer said he's still at the same weight. Pressure on Joel to start the season well unlike last year which resulted in him getting dropped.

Robbo expects Cuz to play 70% of the game maybe on a wing and Pies to play someone young on him like Cook to learn from Cuz.

Just love these two commenting on how "bored" they are with the Ben Cousins hype. Pot, kettle etc et al.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1646 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
it might shut up some of the impatient posters who expect him to develop at the same rate as Lids.

Was that actually said or are you just making it up

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1647 on: February 25, 2009, 12:06:56 AM »

Thanks for the report MT, as always very insightful.

Lets hope JON has a decent game on Thursday night, seems like a genuine, decent kid and it might shut up some of the impatient posters who expect him to develop at the same rate as Lids.
He is a genuine and decent person who will freely talk to supporters but if we're being honest he hasn't actually done much even at Coburg to win supporters over that he can play. His decision making out on the park has been poor and his kicking has been hit and miss. Plough told us at training in JON's second year that we had to wait 4 years to judge him. Well 4 years has arrived and he needs to start showing he can play at AFL level otherwise he'll be cut just as Meyer was last year. Our list is gaining depth and others younger than him (JON's now 21) will pass him by if he doesn't get a move on. Footy is a tough business.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1648 on: February 25, 2009, 05:26:22 AM »
There are 40 odd players on our list and he would be in the bottom 3 or 4. Right now, that is the most relevant rating of his standing in the football community - not his draft pick.
I'm quite sure your summary is pretty much what both coach and player would've have already discussed at seasons end last year.
If he makes it, fantastic for him and the club - if not, well he has had a fair crack at it and good luck to him. :thumbsup

It's that simple Spud

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1649 on: February 25, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
There are 40 odd players on our list and he would be in the bottom 3 or 4. Right now, that is the most relevant rating of his standing in the football community - not his draft pick.
I'm quite sure your summary is pretty much what both coach and player would've have already discussed at seasons end last year.
If he makes it, fantastic for him and the club - if not, well he has had a fair crack at it and good luck to him. :thumbsup
Agree with all that Y&B. And he won't be the first top 10 pick that hasn't made it. The Club at least seems to have got it right with their first rounders since - Jack, Cotch and Vickers. A sign of more and better recruiting resources in the last couple of years.