Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920283 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1650 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »
There are 40 odd players on our list and he would be in the bottom 3 or 4. Right now, that is the most relevant rating of his standing in the football community - not his draft pick.
I'm quite sure your summary is pretty much what both coach and player would've have already discussed at seasons end last year.
If he makes it, fantastic for him and the club - if not, well he has had a fair crack at it and good luck to him. :thumbsup

Thought he'd play for sure.

Not good signs for JoN I don't think Wallace has much faith tbh.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1651 on: February 25, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »
There are 40 odd players on our list and he would be in the bottom 3 or 4. Right now, that is the most relevant rating of his standing in the football community - not his draft pick.
I'm quite sure your summary is pretty much what both coach and player would've have already discussed at seasons end last year.
If he makes it, fantastic for him and the club - if not, well he has had a fair crack at it and good luck to him. :thumbsup

Well if he didn't then TW should've delisted him and kept Meyer or taken an extra pick in the draft for Nahas. They didn't hesitate with Casserley who was picked up in the same draft so we can't argue that 3 years is not long enough to make the call.
TW must sees something, lets hope it is the same thing he saw in Tucky all those years ago....
Anyway, all will be revealed this year. I'd love him just to pop up and show us some magic mr (pardon the pun) if just to make the natives behind the keyboard a bit edgy!!!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1652 on: February 25, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »

Well if he didn't then TW should've delisted him and kept Meyer or taken an extra pick in the draft for Nahas. They didn't hesitate with Casserley who was picked up in the same draft so we can't argue that 3 years is not long enough to make the call.
TW must sees something, lets hope it is the same thing he saw in Tucky all those years ago....
Anyway, all will be revealed this year. I'd love him just to pop up and show us some magic mr (pardon the pun) if just to make the natives behind the keyboard a bit edgy!!!
Contracts can have say in who goes or stays. I can't remember but JON may have been contracted till 2009 so he couldn't be delisted unless we paid him out. Meyer on the other hand was out of contract so he was chopped. This situation happened previously with Rodan going yet Krakouer staying one year longer. More likely it is just that Terry was/is willing to give JON 4 years as that is what he told us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1653 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
Casserley was paid out. I reckon the coach would want JON - he would cost nix to pay out.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1654 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:12 PM »
I got along to training again today. A fine but mostly overcast conditions with the sun making only a brief appearance. It was a closed session so once again OER's reporters had exclusive access  :thumbsup. Sorry no photos though.

In rehab today were Cogs, Patto, Cleve, Sugar and Cotch. Petts trained for most of the session and only stepped out during the game-based drills. Cotch is still just making a short appearance at the start before disappearing again without doing much apart from chatting to the staff. Sugar did the same thing later on. Cleve just watched on for most of the session (he's out due to a foot injury and was wearing a moonboot a few days ago a friend told me). Cogs and Patto did some 200m runs plus some kick to kick. Hopefully Cogs is not far away.

Apart from the usual handballing and kicking drills, most of the session was based on game-based drills and pleasingly working on areas we stuffed in last Thursday night. The first game-based drill was a mini scratch match where the team in white had to rebound and attack through the midfield zone of the other team in green singlets. As we've seen in most of the preseason games the side with the ball goes wide and indirect to try and outflank the zone. Even Terry afterwards admitted it's not pretty when my friend asked him if she had to put up watching this rubbish all year  :lol. Plough said you can't just kick directly up the centre as the midfield zone is in the way and means the ball comes back the other way just as quick over your head as we saw today when there was a turnover. I told Plough just to make sure the boys bloody kicked straight and he agreed it cost us the game as you don't win games kicking 5.15. Fortunately in this drill most of the shots inside 50 went between the two big sticks even from shots on a wide angle. Royal was inside the forward 50 as a guide for the forwards to lead within the "vee" rather than towards the boundary unless the kick itself went wide.

The next drill was goalkicking on the run and from snaps. 5 cones were set up about 30-40m out from the Sherrin Stand goals on different angles and groups of players had shots from each of the 5 cones. On two of the cones Royal and David King would tap the ball down and our smalls like Nahas, Morton, Gilligan and Whitey would have quick snaps. Obviously we want to improve the number of crumbing snap goals.

That was about for most of the squad. I noticed Jack stayed out there longer practising his set shots directly in front. Hopefully he's learnt to stick to a routine as far as number of steps in the run-up etc.

Any questions fire away.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1655 on: March 04, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »
Great stuff MT.  A couple of questions.

1.  Where do you expect JON to play against the Saints and how did he train in the scratch match today?

2. From what you've seen at training, is Gilligan likely to be a better FP or BP?  Where have they been playing him in the scratch matches?

3. Is Tambling dominating these intra-club scratch matches like he has in previous years?  If so, what is missing in terms of him translating this to games against real opposition?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1656 on: March 04, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »
1.  Where do you expect JON to play against the Saints and how did he train in the scratch match today?
Across HB or at least behind the ball based on training today. Actually he was quite good today. Hit most of his targets by foot and ran and overlapped.

2. From what you've seen at training, is Gilligan likely to be a better FP or BP?  Where have they been playing him in the scratch matches?
At the moment I would say they are grooming him as a FP. I haven't seem them use him as BP from memory. I actually thought he was playing on Friday night but I must have got my wires crossed.

3. Is Tambling dominating these intra-club scratch matches like he has in previous years?  If so, what is missing in terms of him translating this to games against real opposition?
Belief in himself.

He did this great perfectly weighted 50m pass today from the centre to the advantage and down the throat of the leading forward (I think it was Schulz). Rarely seen him kick that far let alone with that precision in the real game. The same as on Thursday night when he ran to 50 and then kicked short sideways instead of taking the responsibility to nail the long goal. He's got to believe in himself and take ownership of his game instead of going into a shell. It's been said he has that belief and confidence playing against players he's familiar with (such as in intraclub matches) but that it's not always there against other sides. Ritchie needs to belief in himself 100% of the time out there.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1657 on: March 04, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
Great report again MT just two questions from me mate; one, how did Polak go I noticed he has been named for the Saints game? Two, is there any way based on what you saw today that we could possibly replicate the poo we dished up last Thursday Night??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1658 on: March 04, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »
Great report again MT just two questions from me mate;

one, how did Polak go I noticed he has been named for the Saints game?

Polly didn't standout but he was moving as well as the others. If you hadn't known he had been in an accident and coma just 8 months ago you wouldn't have noticed any difference from the rest of his teammates training. In an article the other day they said he got through the Coburg game well.

Two, is there any way based on what you saw today that we could possibly replicate the poo we dished up last Thursday Night??
Sadly yes  :help lol although our goalkicking was much better.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1659 on: March 04, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
I forgot to mention that a friend said that on Monday they trained for 2 hours and did heaps of tackling practice. McRae was in charge of it apparently and after watching them for a while where they mistackled like last Thursday night he stepped in and was jumping and stomping literally telling them this is how you tackle. After that blast they were quite good. Foley and Lids did more tackling practice with McRae today after main training finished.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1660 on: March 05, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
......Two, is there any way based on what you saw today that we could possibly replicate the poo we dished up last Thursday Night??

Funny how many are saying we were absolute crap last week yet only 2 things cost us the game against a team widely being touted as Top 4 - physical conditioning and goal kicking accuracy - and both of these things will correct themselves as the season proper commences.  Has anyone noticed almost EVERY team making the same skill errors in the PRACTICE matches - gotta be something in that don't you think?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1661 on: March 05, 2009, 09:27:58 AM »
......Two, is there any way based on what you saw today that we could possibly replicate the poo we dished up last Thursday Night??

Funny how many are saying we were absolute crap last week yet only 2 things cost us the game against a team widely being touted as Top 4 - physical conditioning and goal kicking accuracy - and both of these things will correct themselves as the season proper commences.  Has anyone noticed almost EVERY team making the same skill errors in the PRACTICE matches - gotta be something in that don't you think?

WE HAVE A WINNER!  ;D  :woohoo
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1662 on: March 05, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »

I cant understand that either, we were in it for three quarters and in the last quarter when we were done we rested a number of our prime players if memory serves correct.  I am sure if we had kicked straight and were still in it at the end of the third quarter, the fourth quarter would have been played much differently.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1663 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

I cant understand that either, we were in it for three quarters and in the last quarter when we were done we rested a number of our prime players if memory serves correct.  I am sure if we had kicked straight and were still in it at the end of the third quarter, the fourth quarter would have been played much differently.
Although the pathetic goalkicking cost us a game we should have actually won (yep we turned off in the last quarter), the overuse of handball, indirectness of play and the unforced turnovers is why people are saying we played crap. Mind you they are saying that about most sides in the preseason thanks to the zoning and stupid new rules. As long as it's all tidied up by the time the real stuff comes along then no one will remember let alone care about what happened in a glorified preseason practice match.

richmondrules

« Reply #1664 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
Although the pathetic goalkicking cost us a game we should have actually won (yep we turned off in the last quarter), the overuse of handball, indirectness of play and the unforced turnovers is why people are saying we played crap.

It's a cunning plan that cannot fail.

:lol