Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920248 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1860 on: July 10, 2009, 12:46:15 AM »
Some footage of training this week along with a preview of the Carlton game courtesy of footyheads.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=039IXOrdgl0

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1861 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
Would somebody like me who isn't necessarily "in" with the club be able to go to tomorrow morning's training, or is it a closed session?

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1862 on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
Would somebody like me who isn't necessarily "in" with the club be able to go to tomorrow morning's training, or is it a closed session?
You may be able to get in as sometimes the first 30 mins is 'open' but John Vickery (Ty's dad) might kick you out when it becomes a 'closed' session if you can't convince him you're just a keen Tigers man and not a spy lol. The next open session is Saturday morning, 10am at Punt Rd.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1863 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:27 PM »
I'm only 20 years old.  I certainly don't look like a spy. :)

Is tomorrow's at 10 or 11?

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1864 on: July 16, 2009, 02:38:31 AM »
I'm only 20 years old.  I certainly don't look like a spy. :)

Is tomorrow's at 10 or 11?
I'm not sure myself as I haven't been able to get there for a few weeks. Maybe RR can PM us both if he sees this early this morning.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1865 on: July 16, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »
I finally got down to training after missing the last couple of weeks. This morning it was a closed session at Vic Park that went for a couple of hours although I got there late as I thought it was at Punt Rd initially.

I can't say much about what they did for obvious reasons but it was the first time that I got a proper chance to compare training under Jade to that under Plough. I was told they did heaps of handball on Tuesday so that's no different  :P and today there was still the run and carry by hand but the one thing that stood out for mine is players weren't deterred from kicking to a long contest if need be. A friend of mine that watches training regularly said there's also been a couple of different training drills.

The enthusiasm is still high despite the year we've had. They had a goalkicking comp. between two teams today you got a point if the ball through the middle even if it bounced off the inside of the post. Jack was one who hit the post  :-\ but it went in. Cleve was the only one who was doing serious repetitious goalkicking practice. I was told he is getting better as far as the "issue" he's had and that is showing up in his recent improved form at Coburg which is good news  :). Richo and Browny were having a face-off pinging shots from the boundary. It was fairly quiet apart from the usual banta  until Richo yelled out "oh yeah" as one ball left his boot and then he ran around like a crazed man as it snuck through telling everyone "how good was that one"  :lol. He should have taped it for the footy show when they tease him about his goalkicking.

In rehab this week were Simmo, Richo, Kel, Axel (with limp  :-\ ), Blingers, Collo, Connors.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1866 on: July 16, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »
I take it Jay Schulz will play for Coburg if he wasn't with the rehab group this week?

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1867 on: July 16, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
I take it Jay Schulz will play for Coburg if he wasn't with the rehab group this week?
Oops I knew I forgot someone. I don't remember Sarge being out there but I may have just missed him as I arrived 30mins late.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1868 on: July 16, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Is Bling playing with an injury?

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1869 on: July 16, 2009, 08:13:11 PM »
Is Bling playing with an injury?
Richie didn't train with the main squad. He only did today some 100m runs along the boundary. Not sure if there's anything wrong that will prevent him from playing or they are just giving him a light week as precaution. If there's an injury they should rest him. No point risking him with the season shot.

Cuz only partly trained as well but that's more likely because he's over 30.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1870 on: July 16, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »
The plot thickens  :shh He has been our best this season...perhaps a rest is in order regardless  :whistle

How does players like Thomson, Putt, Gourdis and Gilligan look at training? Are they any chance, given their comparitive training form, for a game this year?

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1871 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:22 PM »
The plot thickens  :shh He has been our best this season...perhaps a rest is in order regardless  :whistle

How does players like Thomson, Putt, Gourdis and Gilligan look at training? Are they any chance, given their comparitive training form, for a game this year?
Goo, Putt and Gilly are still playing VFL ressies. I'm not sure what they are going to do with Goo at the end of the year. He's project type so he could be kept on or after 2 years they might cut him. His kicking is still a major issue IMO even at training. Putty is still too raw and needs to fill out. Gilly is too young and only in his first year so he's got time on his side. As for Thomo, I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I didn't and still don't believe we should have recruited him. I believe at 22 he's just a State league player beit VFL or SANFL. At Port Thomo was a fringe player who couldn't get a game in a bottom 4 side crying out at the time for a inside mid. His kicking was ordinary which is why he handballed twice as much as he kicked. I'm not sure what we saw in him to cough up a decent pick. At 22 a traded player should walk into your side especially ours. The excuse was he was picked up to protect Foley. A bit hard to offer protection playing in the VFL  :-\. Anyway nothing much we can do about it now except not repeat the same mistake.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1872 on: July 17, 2009, 08:47:22 AM »
Sounds like we need to get Putt on the powder and into the Gym for 6 months and forget the skills training for a time just to ensure he has the size to fit his height. He will be useless in the ruck or forwardline if he outmuscled every time.

Gourdis is another 'cut our losses' type IMO. He has been 'developing' for 2 years without even cementing a spot in the Burger seniors let alone claiming a place in the AFL. Obviously his kicking is terrible and is not improving and as a KPP this is a huge weakness. In fact if you can't kick in AFL footy you shouldn't be playing.

Which brings me too your favourite trade MT - Thommo! ;) I still have hope for Thommo. From what I have seen he attacks the ball at every opportunity, he is a great clearance player and strong around the packs but yes, he has no confidence in his kicking. Like you MT, it worries me that he has not even played one game for the side when similiar player-types like Foley, Collins and White have all been injuried at different times this year. He needs a developmental coach working religiously with his on his foot execution to build up his skills and confidence in this area over the preseason or next year will be his last.

Still love to see Gilligan make a cameo appearance this year to give him a sniff

As always MT thanks for being our eyes and ears on the training track. Best training reporters in Melbourne!  :thumbsup

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1873 on: July 17, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »
Sounds like we need to get Putt on the powder and into the Gym for 6 months and forget the skills training for a time just to ensure he has the size to fit his height. He will be useless in the ruck or forwardline if he outmuscled every time.

Putt and Edwards can get a joint membership at that gym please

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1874 on: July 17, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »
Cleve was the only one who was doing serious repetitious goalkicking practice. I was told he is getting better as far as the "issue" he's had and that is showing up in his recent improved form at Coburg which is good news  :).

I think as Polak improves, so will Cleve
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do