Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920243 times)

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #3015 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
Richmond_FC twitter:

"Rain doesn't put us off folks, training still on at 1pm"

Gee....that's nice to know.

We had about 5-10 people tweet us if training was still on once it started raining.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3016 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
Ok kids. Here's my perspective of today's training session.

Around 100 keen souls braved the blustery and at times wet weather to view what I would describe as an interesting training session.

I arrived early as often this is the best time catch injured players hit the training track. At 12.30 Dean McDonald trudged out with a club trainer who video taped his slow run for analysis. McDonald looked proppy but on the plus side has lost puppy fat from last season.

That was all the action on the field before the main session. We killed some time by having a look at the Social Club facilities. Nice but unfinished. Also noticed commencement of construction for coaches boxes in j dyer stand. A question for the club is this for coburg games  :pray or training review? I suspect and hope for the former. Also noticeable were significant on field surface level differences adjacent to the new building. Anyone questioning whether we need to spend bikies on resurfacing should be shot.

At 1.30pm a vocal rehab group trotted out, incl. Riewoldt, Browne, Astbury, Moore, Cotch and Batch. The 6 paired up and mainly did stationary handball drills at the station end of the ground. Were off the park by 2pm.

1.40pm the main group trickled out, and im not going to name everyone other than to say it was a healthy group of 34, minus the rehab group, McGuane, and probably a couple of others.

Initial thoughts were:-

- Dea taller bigger. 190cm I reckon.
- Darrou nice size
- Piva is a Unit, nice soccer skills too.
- Ellis is a unit but short (newmans height).

Initial warmup was typical of what you would see after the boys run out on game day, with the exception of Post, Piva Wright, Gus and Derrickx kicking one on one Lade. Gus has leaned up a bit.

Players then split up into 3 groups (defenders, mids, fwds) and paired up within these for the first drill, which consisted of basic 1 on 1 kicking which changed every 3 min. Eg from straight kicking to kick, drop, then run and pick up and kick to running on arcs and kicking.

I note Newman and Lids were in midfield group and Griff was in defence.  ;)

Helsin's kicking was sublime. Morris was good too - he knows how to drill it. However, a number of errors from others which didn't look good.  :-\

After 15 min they moved onto what i would describe as a lead and kick drill in the same three groups. Within these, players we grouped in 4 points with another group in middle, leading from each, forming an X pattern over the ground. This was done at a higher pace than the previous drill, but again was a bit sloppy for my liking even given the sometimes blustery conditions. On the positive sided Rance was barking orders, taking the major defensive lead incl directing players to position.

Following this, there was a similar drill. Players were put into 2 groups split on either up the length of the ground (more loose and alot more running) with an end shot at goal. This was quicker again, but still a few too many kicking errors. Delivery into F50 was hmmmmmmm......Elton moved very well. Is noticeably quick. Grimes vision and reflexes were excellent, chopping off the ball/spoiling.

A 1 on 1 'win the ball' contest drill then followed. Very competitive. Mids were thrown the ball along the ground whilst defenders opposed forwards and were kicked to. Good stuff.

Then the highlight of the day for mine. Players were put into 4 teams and two teams opposed each other in a large rectangle with full match rules bar no kicking (Handball and run only). The aim was for one team to stop the other getting the ball through a set of gates at the other end 50 meters away. Full body contact allowed - good too see. The tackling in this drill was ferocious and very very good. Based on what I saw, we also must have been practicing riding the tackle, getting arms over the tackle and handball. Both tackling and breaking tackles has gone up a notch from last year. Morris in particular was ferocious, he hates losing contests, and let's his team mate know when he's nailed themin a tackle by pushing their face into the ground!  :bow

Unfortunately, Martin hurt his back (right side lower) and trudged off. Gibson went off with a sore wrist after being hammered by Morris and lids. But both seemed minor.

Other things which stick in my mind:-

Houli great skills, put in 110%. Big year coming up based on what I saw.
Connors - geez he's lost some weight. Concerning. Spaghetti arms.
Dea taller (as I said earlier). No really. He's taller.
Maric = leader. Did alot of extra work.
Morris - will be a cult figure. Angry angry man. White line fever. Think Glen Archer but with more size, and absolutely brutal in the contest.

That's about it. Alot more professional training set up than the others I've seen in previous years, and I think our playing style will be alot more physical in 2012. Unfortunately kicking skills and hitting targets appears to be concerning at times. But hey, it's still January.

Any questions fire away.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:36:54 PM by Dubstep Dookie »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3017 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
I assume you are talking about big Maric? haw does mini Maric go?

I like what I'm hearing about morris. :thumbsup
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3018 on: January 11, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
I assume you are talking about big Maric? haw does mini Maric go?

I like what I'm hearing about morris. :thumbsup

Yep Big Al, I was referring to Big Maric.  :thumbsup

Mini Marric went ok. Didn't do anything horrendous or spectacular. He is very short, shorter than foley and possibly Nahas, but is bigger in the upper body than both. Came across as being introverted - wasn't too vocal on the track. Mentally in the zone.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3019 on: January 11, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
Thanks for your feedback on training.How did Posty and Astbury look and the new rookies?.Also does Elton look like a natural forward big wraps on him.Tom Derickx is another who could be a suprise for us in 2012.

When you say errors were happening alot what do you mean and by who? turnovers,etc.Cheers

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3020 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »
 :cheers dooks
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3021 on: January 11, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks for your feedback on training.How did Posty and Astbury look and the new rookies?.Also does Elton look like a natural forward big wraps on him.Tom Derickx is another who could be a suprise for us in 2012.

When you say mistakes were happening alot what do you mean? turnovers,etc.Cheers

No probs.

For mine Posty looked a bit more involved and positive today compared to previous training sessions where he often looks like hes going through the motions. Has bulked up a little but needs a little more size.

Astbury was in the rehab group so not much to write home about there.

Elton should be a good. He did a few good defensive things today and like chase down a smaller player. Hes quick for a guy of his size esp once he gets motoring (likeGriffiths but quicker off the mark) However, I suspect hes a bit lean to get a game this year.

Derrickx went ok today. Moved freely. Out marked shorter defenders as expected, he also did a couple of nice 1 percenters which didn't go unnoticed. Superior 'link up' work to Graham, but not as much confidence or mongrel as Maric.

The main mistakes today were hitting targets by foot and delivery into F50. A number of kicks were 9 ironed over the leading forwards. It was blustery at times but I (along with others) thought it was a little concerning. There were players who did it more than others, including some newbies, but I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:18:17 PM by Dubstep Dookie »

Offline tigerblood

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3022 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »
hello,

my observations from todays training

griffiths is one huge unit and has beautiful skills, hopefully he makes it
arnott is extremely strong, in the one on one drills he was pitted against martin and i'd have to say he won more than he lost.
connors has still got very nice kicking skills, looks leaner though, could be a good thing
derrickx looks fantastic and has good skills

thats about all that stood out to me today, however deledios kicking is unbelievably good

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3023 on: January 11, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »
hello,

my observations from todays training

griffiths is one huge unit and has beautiful skills, hopefully he makes it
arnott is extremely strong, in the one on one drills he was pitted against martin and i'd have to say he won more than he lost.
connors has still got very nice kicking skills, looks leaner though, could be a good thing
derrickx looks fantastic and has good skills

thats about all that stood out to me today, however deledios kicking is unbelievably good

Yep Arnot (unit) was pitted against Martin and he held his own. After Arnot out muscled him in one contest, Martin gave him a love tap as they were running to the back of the line as if to say he respected him and acknowlede he got beaten fairly. Never seen Martin do anything like that!

Lids kicking was good, Griff looked a bit bigger than last year.  :thumbsup

Connors though looks to thin for mine now. Spaghetti arms  :-[

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3024 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
Great reports  :thumbsup

A shame about Dusty  :-\. Hopefully he's fine.

I'm guessing we are trying Griffs in defence as part of his education as a forward (learn from another forward about where to run and lead to).

Did Conca train and if so how he did he look?

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3025 on: January 11, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
Great reports  :thumbsup

A shame about Dusty  :-\. Hopefully he's fine.

I'm guessing we are trying Griffs in defence as part of his education as a forward (learn from another forward about where to run and lead to).

Did Conca train and if so how he did he look?

Dusty should be ok MT

I think I read elsewhere a griff is being tried at CHB also because he's less likely to get injured there? Moved freely today incl full body contact so that's a good sign.

Conca was one of the few that nailed his kicks and hit all his targets (from what I could see). Also of note, at the end a group of 24 or so stayed on and did repeat 400 and 800m runs. Conca was almost always first in his sub-group  :thumbsup.   He will definitely run games out in 2012 better than last year

Offline tigerblood

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3026 on: January 11, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
arnot's legs have to be seen to be believed. 

absolute trunks. 

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #3027 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
Dooks I'm shocked :o :o fantastic report, great detail! Hats off to you for taking he time to put it up :bow. Three cheers for you :cheers :cheers :cheers

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3028 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »
^ What the Tassie Tiger said.

Thanks a lot for the reports Dookie & tigerblood.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3029 on: January 11, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »
No problemo.

Hey TFT, look at me gooooooooooo!  ;D