Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920224 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A look inside a Richmond training session ahead of round 1 (Foxsports)
« Reply #4141 on: March 24, 2016, 03:09:50 AM »
A look inside a Richmond Tigers’ training session ahead of the opening round of 2016 AFL season

James Fitzgerald, Crowd Correspondent
Foxsports
March 24, 2016

RICHMOND, after somewhat of a disappointing finish to the NAB Challenge, have opened up the gates at Punt Rd for not only an open training session but also the club’s pre-season family day for the Tigers faithful on Sunday the 20th of March.

The Tigers lacked intensity in their last outing against Port Adelaide and, with a host of injuries obtained within the said feature, key players are subsequently under injury clouds coming into season proper. This has not only hampered their own progress but also strained the club’s structural plans in the short term.

With a crowd of over three hundred present at Sunday’s open training; with somewhat of a carnival atmosphere around the ground, the Richmond players begin by splitting into midfield and forward units respectively under the guidance of Mark Williams and Brendon Lade. Newly re-signed Damien Hardwick taking more of a back seat on this occasion.

The powers that be at Richmond will be looking for greater levels of intensity as competition for spots and preparation for round one take on greater levels of urgency as they look to a positive start for season 2016.

TRAINING THE HOUSE DOWN

Shaun Grigg enjoyed one of his more productive seasons in 2015 and showed why he was high on Richmond’s wish list after his decision to leave Carlton proceeding the 2010 season. Grigg’s work rate, ability to negotiate heavy traffic and heightened kicking efficiency to forward targets are his main attributes, and he is a valuable member of the Richmond midfield.

Grigg’s output and work rate are head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield group, his high intensity around the ball and his leading off from a contest to create space is on show in the early part of Richmond’s training regime, much to the plaudits of Damien Hardwick and midfield coach Brendon Lade. Grigg is still under an injury cloud coming into the start of the season but the signs are promising.

THE HIGHLIGHT

Intensity around the entire Richmond group was rather underwhelming throughout the duration of the open training session. Much work will need to be done to improve their chances of starting the season on a high. This being said some key players did show their worth and commitment to being in peak condition starting the season proper.

The kicking program, consisting of double lateral drills, precise forward entry kicks and kicking to space deep inside the forward fifty was promising. Ben Lennon, Steven Morris and Dustin Martin excelled and showed the kicking efficiency and poise needed in regards to forward entries to provide Riewoldt and co with direct and accurate delivery.

With the core forward group of Riewoldt, Vickery and Ben Griffiths providing the tall timber to take contested marks and create leading options inside the forward fifty, it was interesting to see their structures change with the inclusion of Daniel Rioli.

Rioli has the ability to provide Richmond with the crumbing forward they require to create an air of unpredictability to their forward line and take advantage of ground ball opportunities when the football lands at his feet in heavy traffic.

NEW FACES

With forward training underway under the watchful eye of Mark Williams, rookie listed player Mabior Chol is certainly providing a handy target up forward; using his height to a premium and kicking truly from fifty meters out on four consecutive occasions. Mabior Chol will be lucky to have a look in during season 2016, but with Richmond’s constant forward woes and their lack of scoring opportunities, he may get his chance sooner rather than later if he continues his development.

WHAT’D YOU MISS

Speaking of Rookie Mabior Chol, after his charmed run in front of goal as mentioned above. Senior Development Coach Mark Williams took exception to his over confidence and decided to treat him to an additional thirty minutes of one-on-one forward training contesting against Development coach Ryan Ferguson.

Mabior Chol failed to reproduce his earlier efforts and seemed to struggle under the constant pressure of competing against a similar sized opponent when leading and contesting for the ball in the forward fifty. Williams was not impressed.

REHAB ROOM

Ivan Maric returned to training on a light program and looks relatively untroubled but is still in some doubt for the opening round. Shane Edwards and Shaun Grigg trained well but left the track early with the former seemingly recovering well from a collarbone injury he suffered in the NAB Challenge.

Brett Deledio had a very light session and is still recovering from his quad injury, the former NAB rising star did laps and then hit the showers early without training alongside the main group.

MEDICAL ROOM

Much maligned new recruit Chris Yarran was a notable no-show and with his lack of fitness and subsequent foot injury, he is unlikely to see action until at least Round Six.

Reece Conca was also absent from the main session while he recuperates from his serious hamstring injury, Richmond will look to ease him back into the fold and place him on a light program for the foreseeable future.

All in all, it was a disappointing training session from the main Richmond group with key players in Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance and showing their class, while youngsters Ben Lennon and Connor Menadue showed promising signs and provided the intensity sorely lacking in some of their senior counterparts

With key injuries hampering their preparations for the opening round of season 2016, Richmond will be looking for an improved output this week in their last training runs before the season proper.

James Fitzgerald is a regular contributor to The Crowd — follow his views on the latest sporting news which he posts as Jimfitz88

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-crowd/a-look-inside-a-richmond-tigers-training-session-ahead-of-the-opening-round-of-2016-afl-season/news-story/de969b708f7ea94d7dd760aa37cea7d1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #4142 on: April 08, 2016, 02:42:05 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4143 on: April 12, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »
Deledio jogged laps and kicked short at @Richmond_FC training this morning.

Yarran, Grimes and Conca all did laps.

Maric a chance to play.

https://twitter.com/BenGuthrie_

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4145 on: April 12, 2016, 10:40:55 PM »
Lmao
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4146 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
Yarran not looking too fat :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4147 on: April 20, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »
A handful of pics from today's training:

Source: RFC twitter.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4148 on: April 20, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
Tearing it up, best training to date, in great form on the track.... :clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4149 on: April 20, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »

interesting

I thought today was their day off.  :-\

Pretty sure I got told last night at the Players Sponsor dinner that today was their day off

As per the players CBA they must have a day off a week
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #4150 on: April 20, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Is Drummond going to be any good?

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #4151 on: April 20, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »

interesting

Pretty sure I got told last night at the Players Sponsor dinner that today was their day off

Was told the same by the player I sponsor

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4152 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »

interesting

Batch?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4153 on: April 21, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »

interesting

Batch?

Ahhhhhhh, the penny drops!!!! FFS... :rollin :lol
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #4154 on: April 21, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »

interesting

Batch?

No, I sponsor Nathan Broad