Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920258 times)

Offline Z-28

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1050 on: February 02, 2008, 08:32:35 PM »
how do the centre bounces/stoppages look? is it just all uncontested or is there some actual thought in the matchups and work on clearances?

is that geoff raines on the boundary in the last pic?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1051 on: February 02, 2008, 11:21:46 PM »
how do the centre bounces/stoppages look? is it just all uncontested or is there some actual thought in the matchups and work on clearances?
One thing over the summer you notice about our style of play is there are very few ball-ups if at all during the play. Just mainly centre bounces and throw-ins. Anyone going to ground over the ball gets pinged for holding the ball. From what I've seen there's been hardly any heavy tags as such. More 1-on-1 match-ups at the stoppages and around the ground with just hand pushing contact with your direct opponent. An exception on Friday was Schulz for a bit was playing as a loose man in defence.

With so many Tigers missing and ring-ins playing I'm not sure how seriously the coaching staff took match-ups on Friday. I wouldn't say it was uncontested either as it was a scrappy game. Clearance work is done more in specific training drills rather than during these intra-club scratch matches.

Terry said that he'll be playing the best forwards against the best defenders etc in the Echuca game this Thursday and with it being the last game before the NAB Cup it should be a more serious intra-club hitout.

is that geoff raines on the boundary in the last pic?
That's Andrew with the shirt off so it could be.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline I love LIDS

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #1052 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »
It was a very blustery day and it showed in what was a scrappy game especially by foot. Goalkicking was difficult especially towards the freeway end with the ball veering severely left to right.

Individuals

Newy - One of the best today. Got a heap of it through the midfield and ran through the lines well. Seemed to be playing more his familar rebounding role today.

Raines - did okay but probably too much 2007-like (got caught twice).

Polak - solid. I thought he kicked a goal for the Blacks in the first quarter but maybe I mixed him up with someone else. He definitely kicked 2 goals for the yellows in the second quarter taking a handful of marks on the lead.

Riewoldt - Much better today. Played forward and back, got a decent amount of footy and was clean with his marks and disposal. Very vocal too telling teammates to pick up opponents.

Edwards - Better today as well. As he was playing forward pocket at the other end of the ground it took me half the game to realise he was wearing #35. I was going this Coburg player is pretty good  :lol. Only blemish was he missed a set shot from 15m out at the freeway end forgetting to take the wind into account.

Polo - Did alright when he had the ball. He was on Morton for a while from what I saw (plenty of rotations as usual though) and Morton was best of ground.

Rance - Started in defence on Gourdis. Not sure who he was on after that. Solid without standing out from what I saw.

Morton - best of ground. Brought his own footy especially in the first quarter when he kicked 2.4. Continually got away from his direct opponent to mark on the lead or gain the footy in space. Also played midfield for most of the game.   

Tuck - Played in defence once again moving through the midfield. He and Cogs were given rests on the bench.

Jackson - I didn't notice him too much today although he popped up towards the end when moved into the forward line. Was matched up on Whitey I think in the midfield and they sort of cancelled each other out.

Schulz - Played in defence once again before pushing forward late in the game. Not as eyecatching as last friday but solid enough except for the time Cleve nailed him  :lol.

Patto - Played forward as well as in the ruck again. Was fairly quiet in terms of posessions but he won most of his ruck duels.

Collard - not the ballmagnet game of last friday but was he did was clean and effective.

JON - fairly solid. Not the "where did this come from" game of last week but not the JON 2007 version either.

Hyde - Was in the bests again. Got plenty of the ball and ran through the lines well. Had the captain's guernsey on too.

Gourdis - Didn't get much of it but he looked more comfortable out there this week. Chased and tackled well  which resulted in two turnovers (got a pat on the pack from Rawlings) and his kicking wasn't too bad. He's a project player which is what you'd expect from a young PSD pick.

Hughes - I thought Clever was solid. Had Richo's number and presented well at times.

White - See Jacko.

Casserly - Played in defence in his usual rebound and long kicking role. Solid and kicked a nice long running goal.

Silvester - I didn't notice him in the first qaurter but I think he was on Polak in the second.

Cartledge - See Patto basically.

Moore - Started on Cleve on defence but went off halfway through with a calf injury.

Collins - Not sure who he was on (I think he was meant to pick up Morton at once stage as that was   what was yelled from the bench). Was allowed to run around on his own basically and pushed forward to take 3 marks and kicked 2 goals at the Richmond end and one OOTF at the freeway end from 20m out.

Kingy - Typical Kingy game. He was on #10 from Coburg in a back pocket.

Did Deledio play if so how did he go mightytigers
Deledio Richmonds Next Coleman Meadalist/Brownlow medalist

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1053 on: February 07, 2008, 04:04:48 AM »
Did Deledio play if so how did he go mightytigers
Nah Lids didn't play ILL. He was one of the boundary umpires as he was the week before. I'm not 100% sure but I think he copped a slight knock to his left hip a couple of weeks ago at training (he was lifting his jumper to look at his hip and then he went down the race). Lids seems to be fine now though going by the training pics from Echuca. 

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #1054 on: February 07, 2008, 05:05:55 PM »
Hey MT where are these training pics from echuca your referring to??
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1055 on: February 07, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »
Hey MT where are these training pics from echuca your referring to??

In the Echuca thread RR  :)

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=6246.msg86300#msg86300

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #1056 on: February 07, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #1057 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
when do Richmond train next ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1058 on: February 13, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
when do Richmond train next ?
Closed sessions this week according to the Club.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1059 on: February 14, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
The NAB Cup squad had a 1 hour "closed" training session this morning. There was no actually gameplan scenarios. It was mostly the usual handball, kicking, goalkicking and run and carry drills just to sharpen everyone up before tomorrow night. The trained well too with a fair bit of intensity and the skill level was actually good albeit under little pressure. Hopefully that continues tomorrow night.

Gus, McGuane and Connors were also there. Connors and Gus ran laps while McGuane basically joined in with the main group. McGuane and Gus then towards the end of training were running around with the trainer playing kick to kick so I'd expect all aren't too far away. I think Gus said he's back into it next week. Connors apparently did something on Tuesday as a friend told me he was limping. Edwards pulled out towards the end of training to chat to the trainer but he rejoined in the goalkicking so I think he's okay.

St Kilda had a spy in the stands with binoculars and a mobile. Surprised no one kicked him out. 

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1060 on: February 14, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »
Connors apparently did something on Tuesday as a friend told me he was limping.

Hopefully not the ankle again. :-\

Geez he's had a very interrupted pre-season.
Disappointing.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1061 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »
Connors apparently did something on Tuesday as a friend told me he was limping.

Hopefully not the ankle again. :-\
Not sure what it is Magic. Daniel's just come back from the ankle he reinjured in the first place  :P.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1062 on: February 19, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »
Training today was at a hot  :P Victoria Park. The session went for around 2 1/2 hours with regular drinks breaks.

The whole squad, minus Cotchin, were present. Rance and Kingy only did the warm up from what I saw and Putt spent some time with Monkhurst. Rawlings thanked Rance afterwards for his encouraging words and talk while Kingy was offering advice to our defenders in particular Schulz. It was good to see Meyer train fully. Hopefully a sign he's getting over his hip injury.

After warming up with a run and in close handball drill, the squad spread out into small groups of 3-4 for the first drill which was to work on moving the ball quicky with runners receiving handball from markers. Basically a kick in from one goalsquare to HB then dish off and kick to the centre then dish off and kick inside 50 then dish off and kick a goal at the other end. They had two footys going at once end to end. Still the one too many missed targets but at least they were working on handball receives which they didn't do on Friday night.

Next up was 1-on-1 match-ups from the HB line. Inside forward 50 they had Schulz on Hughes, Thursty on Richo (where Thursty copped a cut to his leg towards the end of the drill and went off), Tucky on Lids. Moore was on either Browny or Petts. Moore was again the best defender following on from Friday night. Richo the best forward. The big fella held onto a ripper of a mark at full pace on the lead. He was holding onto everything that Thursty couldn't get a fist to. Unusual seeing Richo taking marks with his arms out away from his body (like they should be). They rotated players a few times so I can't remember all the match-ups. Rawlings was instructing near the goals while Wallace was barking instructions from the wing. One time both Polak and I think Petts or Collard both led out of the square leaving the goalsquare vacant which forced the inside 50 kick wide to Polak (which was too long btw). Plough told Rawlings that he wanted someone to run back to the goalsquare so the ball stayed in the corridor.

The last drill was an inside 50 kick one. They had a 3-on-3 contest on the HBF where the attacking teammate had to handball their way out of it (sometimes it looked a lot like Friday night  :P but without the turnovers) and then pass to someone just outside 50. They then had to pass to a leading forward who needed to kick the goal otherwise everyone bar the kicker had to run a lap. Morton, Richo and Lids nailed their shots but Gourdis just missed his.

Training was then finished off with about 5 or 6 ~200m goal to goal runs and then another lap of Vic Park before warming down. Edwards fetched some ice to place on his quad. Rance had his foot and ankle in a bucket of ice.

Any questions just fire away.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1063 on: February 19, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »
Forgot to add there was a lot of emphasis on pressure and intensity today. Sugar saying at the end to the group that's the way we should always train.

Also when Terry had them in a huddle someone received a big round of applause. Not sure who or why. I was thinking it could be someone who hasn't played seniors but Cotchin and Rance injured I couldn't think who else it could be.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1064 on: February 19, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
Forgot to add there was a lot of emphasis on pressure and intensity today. Sugar saying at the end to the group that's the way we should always train.

Also when Terry had them in a huddle someone received a big round of applause. Not sure who or why. I was thinking it could be someone who hasn't played seniors but Cotchin and Rance injured I couldn't think who else it could be.

Collins ??