Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920278 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1095 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:05 PM »
Great training report
Meyer should be have been delisted this is another huge mistake
The club wanted to see how Danny goes if and when he gets over his hip problem. He may be playing for Coburg tomorrow but if not then next week.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1096 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
Training today was at a warmish Vic Park. The whole squad was present with Cotchin, Simmo, Polak, Kingy and Meyer in the rehab group with Collard joining them late on. I forgot to mention in the injury thread that Gus also has a slight niggle in the groin/upper right leg.

When I arrived the squad was doing some in close handball work on the wing. Next up was a drill similar to what they did last week designed to make players spread out and run hard into space and encourage longer forward handballs and to runners and to have the attacking team linking up properly with overlap and support.  Once again you had about 12 mids (6-on-6) at CHB and the attacking team had to get to one of three forwards - Lids vs Newy, Hughes vs Thursty and Edwards vs Moore.  This week it seemed the runners were running more at full tilt when receiving the footy. Only spotted one stuff up where the handball was a fraction too behind the player running at full pace.

The following drill was similar except Rawlings situated himself about 25-30m out from goal facing away from the goals and the long kick forward was deliberately batted down to work on crumbing. Initially the players attacking overran the ball getting too close to Rawlings allowing the defending team to clean up (Moore was excellent in one play). After about the 4th or 5th go the attackers started to get their hands on it better with Petts kicking about 3 goals and Tambo, Whitey, Edwards, Browny and McGuane kicking one a piece. Edwards set up McGuane's goal cleverly where he scooped the loose ball from Rawlings' bat down and with two defenders chasing him towards the pocket he did this classy look away handball straight to McGuane running past who didn't need to break stride and ran into an open goal  :clapping  :bow. Shane got a big cheer and high 5's from the rest of the group too.

Next up was footpassing circle work with a twist at the end. With the squad split into 5 groups spread around the ground the ball was passed from one group to the next until it got to the last group on the wing who had to pass to one of the assistant coaches who were randomly calling for the ball leading from different positions inside 50. It was cleanly done (as were all the drills today) so I watched Gourdis' kicking a fair bit during this drill. He's fine over short-mid distances with his kicking but his action looks a bit clumsy when he has to stretch for distance and he floats it up and under. 

The session finished with the squad spilting up into smaller groups to work on specific skills. Gus, Putt and Cartledge were with Monkhurst doing ruck practice; Foley, Cogs, Sugar, Collins and Whitey were with Chocco practising ground-ball work bouncing off a bag. The rest were doing some run and carry and set shot goalkicking. Hughes was working on his marking on the lead.

While warming down the players mentioned they had group meetings (back, mid, forward) in the afternoon to go to. 

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1098 on: March 04, 2008, 11:32:37 PM »

Nice get by the photographer. That's the look away handball Edwards did :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1099 on: March 05, 2008, 01:03:41 AM »
Thanks as ever MT.

richmondrules

« Reply #1100 on: March 05, 2008, 07:05:37 AM »
I see Lids has dyed his hair again lol.

Thanks MT. Boys look like they are growing up a bit in those pictures.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1101 on: March 05, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Great report again MT, by the way how is Rance and why hasn't Edwards been selected for the Cats game??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1102 on: March 05, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »
Great report again MT, by the way how is Rance and why hasn't Edwards been selected for the Cats game??
WAT, I haven't heard anything new about Rance. Although those photos of him on the ground clutching his ankle make it look serious, he walked off the ground fairly calmly with no noticable limp just chatting with the trainer that the problem was when he changed direction. It didn't come across as being too serious an ankle injury but I'm guessing they will cautious with it given he has re-injured it and give it more than enough time to fully heal.

Edwards had a slight quad injury last week so although he trained fully yesterday I guess they are bringing him back via Coburg.

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #1103 on: March 05, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »
Excellent work MT.  I hear on the grapevine that Shane Edwards is lacking form, from your observations how hard is he training, is he making more errors than 'good' things?  Does he deserve a spot in the 22 for Round 1?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1104 on: March 05, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
From Tuesday's training he looked classy 3121. No noticable mistakes that I saw. I thought Edwards missing out on selection was more due to him coming back from the quad he had but I didn't see how he went for Coburg last weekend to judge his form in games where it matters.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1105 on: March 06, 2008, 12:02:34 AM »
How are Connors & Polo traveling MT?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1106 on: March 06, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »
I didn't notice Polo too much on Tuesday Magic to be honest. He was there and training but he didn't stand out from the others.

I'm glad you brought up Connors as he was really feeling it towards the end of one of the last drills. Had his arms on his head haunched over slightly trying to gather his breath. Being pale skinned showed up him being red in the face. Newy who was playing as a defender on Lids walked over to Connors and gave him a encouraging tap on the bum to keep going which to his credit he did. Not surprising his fitness base is down given he missed most of the preseason due to that ankle.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1107 on: March 06, 2008, 01:51:14 AM »
I didn't notice Polo too much on Tuesday Magic to be honest. He was there and training but he didn't stand out from the others.

I'm glad you brought up Connors as he was really feeling it towards the end of one of the last drills. Had his arms on his head haunched over slightly trying to gather his breath. Being pale skinned showed up him being red in the face. Newy who was playing as a defender on Lids walked over to Connors and gave him a encouraging tap on the bum to keep going which to his credit he did. Not surprising his fitness base is down given he missed most of the preseason due to that ankle.

Thanks Mighty.

These are two young footballers(see gatherers) I'd hoped a large amount of our improvement would come from.
To hear that they (along with Cotchin & Edwards) are struggling doesn't give me any joy whatsoever. :-[

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1108 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
WAT, I haven't heard anything new about Rance. Although those photos of him on the ground clutching his ankle make it look serious, he walked off the ground fairly calmly with no noticable limp just chatting with the trainer that the problem was when he changed direction. It didn't come across as being too serious an ankle injury but I'm guessing they will cautious with it given he has re-injured it and give it more than enough time to fully heal.

Edwards had a slight quad injury last week so although he trained fully yesterday I guess they are bringing him back via Coburg.

Cheers MT.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1109 on: March 06, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
Training was again at Vic Park today. Typical Melbourne weather too. Pouring with rain at first then bright sunshine lol.

All Tigers were present. In rehab were Cotchin, Meyer, Polak, Simmo, Gus and Patto. I think Patto was just rested. Schulz was around the place too. Everyone else trained fully.

No real specific or technical drills today. No game based stuff either. More your general circle work of kicking, handballing, marking and goalkicking so not much to report on that front except the skills were clean (no pressure of course  ;) ). The whole group seemed very happy and jovial. I was told the boys regularly catch up with each other for dinner so some signs of the team bonding. Highlight of the day was Daniel Jackson letting go of a massive barrel from inside the square that went straight between the big sticks  :clapping. The session only went for an hour and a bit as they play a game tomorrow. Gourdis and Rance were last to leave practising banana kicks.

One of the tv networks had a camera down at training so a chance there might be some footage on the news. I didn't notice Plough or any of the assistant coaches do an interview though. 

Any questions just fire away.