Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920182 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1155 on: April 10, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Did they do any forward training?
Did they have any small players such as Edwards etc practising crumbing? What about Riewoldt - how did he go?

I'm interested - does Rance, Collard etc train with the main group? If so, how are they looking?

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1156 on: April 10, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
Did they do any forward training?
Did they have any small players such as Edwards etc practising crumbing? What about Riewoldt - how did he go?

I'm interested - does Rance, Collard etc train with the main group? If so, how are they looking?

Stripes
1. Not today specifically. More part of the full-scale match simulation.

2. Not crumbing off a pack but they did have the mids running around and opponent and kicking long running goals and across the body goals.

3. Jack was maily up the other end of the ground with the forwards so I didn't spot him too much. Took a couple of marks on the lead. He had a long talk with a couple of the coaches. He also was his usual vibrant self and took pot shots at goal on a sharp angle at the end of training.

4. Yep Rance and Collard train with the main group. I still can't under why Rance is playing VFL ressies when one or two others are struggling in the Coburg seniors. If Collard can get his fitness up then he'll be a dead-eye dick in the forward line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1157 on: April 10, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »

4. Yep Rance and Collard train with the main group. I still can't under why Rance is playing VFL ressies when one or two others are struggling in the Coburg seniors. If Collard can get his fitness up then he'll be a dead-eye dick in the forward line.

Noticed on the VFL site and the teams that Rance is named on the extended interchange for the seniors
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1158 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

Noticed on the VFL site and the teams that Rance is named on the extended interchange for the seniors
Ta WP. Good to see  :thumbsup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1159 on: April 15, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
I didn't make training today but I bumped into a mate who did. It was just a short 30min skilled session at Punt Rd and if I heard him right Jack and Moore took the session. The whole squad was present from what he saw. The only concern was Sugar who had a big bandage wrapped around his thigh but when he asked one of the trainers they said Sugar will be fine for Sunday so hopefully it's only a precautionary measure.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1160 on: April 15, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
Yeah wouldnt expect it to be much after a getting into town early Monday morning (2am) and then having recovery session yesterday arvo.

Rev it up on Thursday.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1161 on: April 17, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »
Training today was at Punt Rd. They were meant to start at 11 but they really didn't get out there until 11.30 and the trained for only a hour and a quarter or thereabouts. No surprise given they are backing up after the trip to Perth.

As mentioned in the changes thread, all 22 from the Freo game trained along with Joel, Tivs, Jacko, Howat, Petts and Gus. Petts trained with the main group but during the breaks and afterwards he had long chats with one of the recovery trainers about his right thigh just above his knee. Rainsey was with a trainer on the boundary do some ball and reflex work. Cleve, Cass, Meyer and JON were in casuals. Jack while having a ping at the goals from the boundary kicked one off the side of his boot and almost hit JON in the back of the head as he was walking out of Punt Rd. Missed only by a whisker and JON's head quickly shot around  :lol.

As for training itself they did a lot of work on clearing the ball from stoppages in particular ball-ups and then hitting a lead inside 50. Lids, Jack, Morton and Patto were the noticeable forwards (i.e. No Richo up forward ;) ). One thing that was noticeable was a number of the cubs can clear the ball forward without needing to do a great big u-turn unlike some senior fringe players. They whole squad also worked on their midfield spread running into space to offer option and moving the ball in numbers through the corridor.

And that was about it. Jack, Patto and Edwards stayed behind longer to do some goalkicking.

Any questions just fire away.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1162 on: April 22, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
Training today was at a sunny Punt Rd Oval. The whole squad was present and it was only a short session which went for around 45 minutes.

Before training started Meyer, Petts and Tivs were doing some straight running drills with the fitness coordinator while Kingy was running laps. They formed the rehab group along with appearances at various stages by Hyde, Cotchin, Gus, Rainesy, Collard and Cogs. Cogs didn't do much apart from so hand reflex drills and then when everyone had gone in he stayed out there with the fitness cordinator doing some technical things with his running like high-knee skips.

Royal mentioned to a group of school kids watching training that given the game was on Sunday the players are still sore from such a physical game. So today was more about the players keeping their hands sharp and as motivation is harder when the players are sore they also try to make it a bit of fun. Putt was given the job of leading training initially - running a lap, stretching and a game where the players got into a big circle with someone in the middle and the rest of the group had to copy the party trick the teammate in the middle was doing. So there were a few basketball moves with the footy moving it around the body, around the legs, etc. Edwards got them to catch the ball behind their back and poor gangly Gus had the footy going everywhere except behind his back  ;D.

The next part of training was the players breaking up into the specific skill groups. Royal said this was designed for players to either work on their weaknesses or strengthen their strengths. Most of the younger Coburg based boys were doing to kick-to-kick with their non-preferred foot and hitting a 25m away target with a man on the mark. They were overseen by McRae. The young rucks and mids were with Monkhurst. Royal said that was for them to work on understanding the hitting zones at stoppages. Richo, Browny, Cleve, Jack and Schulz were in the forwards group at the Brunton Avenue end with Rawlings while the rest were in the middle with David King. Royal said as he is director of football he oversees training. He said Terry has to face the Board tonight.

Royal also gave a basic run down on training each week. Given a Sunday game, Monday is recovery day and a team review of the game the previous day.
Tuesday starts at 7.30am. They have a massage, do a weights session then come out to train lightly before having lunch in the social room and then if in the senior side watch their individual tapes.
Wednesday the Coburg RFC boys watch their tapes and then the boys walk through the upcoming opposition set-ups. Royal mentioned Hawthorn's defence sets up as a zone like in soccer.
Thursday is the main training session for the week.
Friday is their day off.
Saturday morning they do their final training.
For Saturday and Friday night games all that comes forward to the day before or two respectively.

That's about it. Any questions just fire away  :cheers

Offline GOOHUC

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #1163 on: April 22, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »
Great report mightytiges... :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1164 on: April 24, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
Training today was at a sunny and warm Punt Rd Oval. I only saw the last hour or so but they were out there for an hour and a half.

It looked as though only the squad for Sunday and a few underdone ring ins were at training - Newy, Thursty, Lids, Simmo, Polak, Browny, Jack, Edwards, Joel, Richo, McMahon, Petts, McGuane, Sugar, Putt, Morton, Tuck, Meyer, Jackson, Schulz, Patto, Blingers, Hyde, Cleve, White, Moore, Foley, Collins, Gus and Kingy. Everyone was wearing different guernsey numbers to their normal ones probably in a bit of a silly attempt to confuse Hawk spies. I think we can tell Blingers from Hydey Terry  ;D.

It was good to see Danny training fully. A friend at training said Danny told him within the last week that he hasn't felt as good in ages. Petts left about halfway through the time I was there but looked to be moving fine. Kingy hardly trained and went indoors. The trainer said he'll be fine for Sunday. Putt and Cleve did a lot of 1-on-1 marking with Monkhurst with Monky telling Putty to put his body between the fall of the ball and his opponent so the opponent has to go through you to reach the footy.

As for training itself it was mostly match simulation. The squad was split into two teams and they worked on full ground rebounding from defence, run and carrying through the midfield and then spotting a teammate inside 50. Out of interest Richo was playing in defence at one end (more loose man) while Jack was used both as a forward and defender. Going by today I doubt we'll be changing the way we play from the last 2 weeks. In fact today was full on direct attack - a few change of hands out of defence, Blingers, Newy, Lids and co sprinting through the centre corridor and then spotting someone on a 45 degree lead or long and deep to the top of the square where Polak was. Browny, Morton and Edwards were the small forward while Lids was used both as a forward and midfielder. Morton just adds so much footy smarts to our forward line.

They then finished with some goalkicking on the run and hitting teammates on the lead from a kick about 60-70m out. Jack, Edwards, Blingers and Lids stayed out longer to practice kicking goals around their body from an acute angle.

Any questions just fire away.

Offline Snatch

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #1165 on: April 24, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
Long time reader,first time posting!
Can i just say what a great job you do mightytiges with your training reports. :clapping
I've been a mad Tiger supporter for nearly 40 years & grew up idolising the great Royce Hart.
Long live the Tigers & here's hoping to a continued improvement from our boy's this season.  Cheers Snatch! :thumbsup

richmondrules

« Reply #1166 on: April 24, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
Can i just say what a great job you do mightytiges with your training reports. :clapping
I've been a mad Tiger supporter for nearly 40 years & grew up idolising the great Royce Hart.
Long live the Tigers & here's hoping to a continued improvement from our boy's this season.  Cheers Snatch! :thumbsup

Welcome Snatch. MT's reports are fantastic aren't they.  :clapping Royce was my favourite too. I grew up with the number 4 on my duffel coat.  :thumbsup

MT. Did it look like they were doing anything specifically for wet weather?

Offline Snatch

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #1167 on: April 24, 2008, 05:16:11 PM »

Welcome Snatch. MT's reports are fantastic aren't they.  :clapping Royce was my favourite too. I grew up with the number 4 on my duffel coat.  :thumbsup

Cheers RROFO! Royce was a legend & so is mightytiges. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1168 on: April 24, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Snatch and welcome aboard OER  :)  :cheers

The only thing I would say RROFO is the ultra direct play they were doing at training looked like they were planning to K.I.S.S. in wet weather. Don't stuff around with it; just get it forward quickly. Other than that it was hard to simulate wet weather conditions when it was dry and warm. We told Tucky it was going to be wet and he seems to be looking forward to it. It'll probably suit him when you think about it.

Just on another thing Moore received praise from Wallace for his defensive reading of the play while Lids after stuffing up a kick that went straight to Moore was told there were no reputations here Brett.

richmondrules

« Reply #1169 on: April 24, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

The only thing I would say RROFO is the ultra direct play they were doing at training looked like they were planning to K.I.S.S. in wet weather. Don't stuff around with it; just get it forward quickly. Other than that it was hard to simulate wet weather conditions when it was dry and warm. We told Tucky it was going to be wet and he seems to be looking forward to it. It'll probably suit him when you think about it.

Thanks MT. lol. It would be hard to simulate wet weather conditions today. I could have got down there with the hose.

Just on another thing Moore received praise from Wallace for his defensive reading of the play while Lids after stuffing up a kick that went straight to Moore was told there were no reputations here Brett.

Good to hear. Reputations should mean nothing, every one should be seen as equal. Frankly Lids has no reputation yet only perceived potential.