Author Topic: Frawley Resigns  (Read 3673 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Frawley Resigns
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 05:22:36 PM »
That's true Danny or any coach isn't the only one making the decisions but as head senior coach he does have the final say. You'll also find the assistant coaches (who are also part of the selection committee) and recruiting manager (hopefully) won't be at Tigerland either next year.

Recruiting old off-cuts like Hudson, Houlihan, Nicholls, Fletcher, Fleming, etc... were poor attempts at quick-fixes. Coburg missed out on a Grand final by less than a kick only two years ago when Richmond finished 13th. So Coburg form doesn't necessarily translate to Richmond but agree if we had better depth on our list then blokes at Coburg would continually put regulars in the senior side under pressure to maintain their spots. However poor depth cycles back to poor list management. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 05:25:57 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
CLEAN THE WOMEN AND OIL THE GOATS-
TONITE WE CELEBRATE

GOOG RIDDANCE IMBECILE !

LMAOOOOOO@Saying on 9 news he expected to be there for 10 years.

LMAOOOOOOOO@How devistated he was at the press conference.

LMAOOOOOOOO@How he HAS to have realised his whole life he has been kidding himself about being the real deal.

Go and have a nice life per courtesey of the RFC $$$.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 08:43:19 PM »
Want to kick someone, kick the players, kick the media who claim they always know better.

We do, and if you had have done your homework you would have realized that.

I have never seen the pages upon pages of criticism of Caro, Sheahan, Wallace, et. al.
Have you ??

Yes

Don't blame the coach because he can't get a bunch of incapables to produce.

That is his job for crying out loud, he's got to get them to produce, that's why he's there.

Could you make stars out of duds ??
It just is not possible to get results when players don't run, kick to the opposition, don't tackle, etc. etc. etc.
When that siren blows, on-field performance is your responsibility, no one else.

Our list is far better than the way they have been playing, there is no doubt about that. they have been driven into the ground by poor trainning, poor game plan, shifting ideas, uncertainty and that is just a few things that Frawley has left with the playing group.

You are obviously someone who doesn't know much about the game as you have almost stated with your admission that you don't like it. So this will be my last post to you on this subject.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 11:12:35 PM »
Frawley's disappointment
6:45:44 PM Mon 28 June, 2004
Jordan Chong
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Danny Frawley didn't think it would end this soon.

Frawley resigned as Richmond coach on Monday afternoon, with the decision effective from the day after the club's round-22 match against the Sydney Swans.

At a packed media conference in the Richmond board room at Punt Road, an emotional Frawley spoke of the disappointment of having it end this way.

Alongside him were the club's director of football Greg Miller, who will oversee the search for a new coach, president Clinton Casey and captain Wayne Campbell.

"I thought I was going to be here for the next 10 years. I haven't thought anywhere past the next nine weeks and I'll continue to do so. I'm just looking forward to turning up each day and try and improve each player as much as we possibly can," Frawley said.

"It's a tough decision, but it's one that's going to be in the best interests for the Richmond footy club first, the players second and Danny Frawley third."

"I take responsibility for the on-field and the buck always stops with the senior coach. It was always going to be a big year for the Richmond footy club and probably Danny Frawley as the senior coach."

He said the support he has received over the last four-and-a-half years, from the president to the property stewards to the members, had been enormous.

Richmond is 15th on the ladder, with only four wins from 13 rounds.

He has been coach since 2000, with the best result a preliminary final appearance in 2001. His record with the club is 45 wins and 59 losses.

In a recent newspaper interview, Tigers president Clinton Casey stated his personal view was that the club needed an 'experienced coach'.

But in a statement released by the club, Casey 'complimented' Frawley on his 'selflessness, great loyalty and his strength of character'.

"Danny’s legacy to the club will be felt for many years to come. His dignity, morality and his courage under fire will be instrumental in life lessons the playing group will carry over to the next era,” Casey said.

“His decision will alleviate the continual media pressure on both him and his family," Casey added.

Frawley played 240 games for St Kilda between 1984 and 1995 and was captain between 1987 and 1995. He was then an assistant coach at Collingwood for four years.

Describing the prospects of seeing September action 'mathematically possible' but unlikely, Frawley conceded his time in charge was up after the loss to Carlton.

"Obviously the last few losses haven't been great for the club and after the Carlton game, I called Greg and Clinton and had a chat. After a few days deliberation and thinking it over with the family, there was no point in seeking another contract," Frawley said.

"Once the realistic chance of playing in the finals was out, it was always my intention to finish off the year. I owe that to the players to really make sure that ... I'm not speaking for the players at all but if I've taught them one thing over the five years, it's to be up front and honest."

"After a couple of ordinary years, obviously playing in the finals was going to be a key criteria for me to maintain this job."

"It's going to be a tough nine weeks but it's something that I'm really looking forward to."

Frawley thanked the club for giving him an opportunity to coach at senior level and described it as 'one hell of a ride'.

He didn't regret 'too many things' about his time as coach but made mention of the club's efforts after making the 2001 preliminary final.

"We're all wiser in hindsight. In 2002, as a young coach you look at it and think you're a game off the grand final. We were probably further away than we thought."

"When you get to a preliminary final and you think you're not far away ... looking back now we were playing against one of the greatest teams of all time and we did really well to get to a preliminary final. But when you look back, we were still a fair way away."

In terms of highlights, Frawley nominated Wayne Campbell ('making people realise the player that he is') and Andrew Krakouer ('he is going to be an absolute beauty') as two.

He declined to indicate what plans he had after finishing out the year, declaring his focus totally on the remainder of the season, where he will try to give his players new challenges and try new things in what he hopes to be as normal an environment as possible.

But he did say he still had a passion for the game and had learnt a lot along the way.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=157174

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 11:24:50 PM »
I know what you're saying TS but he could have waited until the end of the year (his contract) which would have deprived us the opportunity we now have to be open and frank about chasing after a new coach. Saying his time is up gives us heaps of time to interview and process potential candidates.

I agree MT and said that at the end bit. ;)

Sorry about that TS, I misunderstood what you meant.  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 12:54:31 AM by mightytiges »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
'One hell of a ride'
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 12:32:44 AM »
'One hell of a ride'
By Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 29, 2004

Danny Frawley is famous for his honesty but it was his failure to deliver on one crucial early promise that led to his downfall at Tigerland.

Frawley told the Richmond annual general meeting at the end of 1999 that the club had existed for too long on emotion and passion. Those two elements had provided some great victories, said Frawley, but they were too few and far between and now he must take the emotion out of it.

But of course he never could. And yesterday he admitted that his emotional make-up was both a strength and a weakness for him and had led to his biggest mistake as coach of Richmond - which was to believe the club was on the brink of greatness after it finished third in 2001.

And Frawley was emotional to the bitter end. He refrained from mentioning his youngest daughter Keeley by name for fear of breaking down, coming closest to tears at the mention of his young charge Andrew Krakouer, to whom he has been a tireless father figure.

For all its inevitability there was also sadness yesterday. Richmond captain Wayne Campbell, whose form has recently suffered due to injury and age, said he knew now that he would never get a premiership from AFL football but that he had a friend for life in Frawley.

While it would seem his reputation has been badly damaged over the past two seasons, deep in his heart Frawley still believes he can coach. His faith in Richmond's director of football, Greg Miller, would also have him believe that had Miller come to the club one year earlier he would not have found himself on the outer. That he would have had a cool head alongside him to make the tough decisions required, instead of believing his club was a whisker away from greatness and that the likes of Paul Hudson and Adam Houlihan could get them there.

Miller too appears to have kept his word to Frawley. Only yesterday did he make indirect - and apparently futile - contact with Kevin Sheedy, indicating the club was never truly serious about snaring its old No.10.

Frawley was correct when he said that his time at Tigerland had been "one hell of a ride". In his second senior AFL game he strode on to the MCG at three-quarter-time and told the reigning premier Kangaroos they were too old and too slow. In round 22 he stepped outside the box at the MCG to vent his spleen against an abusive Carlton fan.

Obsessed by winning but inexperienced and under-resourced, he launched some desperate if successful assaults, turning up at the home office of Darren Gaspar's manager late one 2001 September evening and, with a singlehanded plea, retaining the centre half-back at a hefty long-term cost. He issued a similar anguished visit to the home of Ben Holland.

That was the year Frawley declared, after the Matthew Knights-Tony Liberatore incident that: "Every dog has its day." When "payback time" against the Western Bulldogs eventuated Frawley looked to be quite literally spinning out of control in the coaches' box.

Coaching sent Frawley, 40, quite literally grey. He knew the situation was becoming desperate after the Tigers' horrific capitulation against Adelaide in round five and earlier this month against Fremantle understood the game was up. "Here we go again" was Frawley's admitted thought shortly before half-time, when the Dockers put a small hole in the Tigers' seemingly unassailable lead.

Frawley's philosophies are clear and simple. To retain his job he knew the Tigers had to make the finals, so in the lead-up to the Richmond-Carlton game he had done the maths and realised that a loss to the Blues would end his coaching career in its current form.

On the eve of that game he met his manager Ricky Nixon and began to plan his exit. In the days that followed the Carlton loss he communicated to Miller and president Clinton Casey that he knew he was gone but requested he be allowed to spend some time with his family.

While Casey is understood to have indicated to Frawley there is work for him under his wide business umbrella, Frawley is keen to remain in football. But Tony Jewell's frank assessment of his shortcomings hurt him.

While Frawley could not envisage working as an assistant coach next season, he seems to understand he would at some point have to drop down a level in the pecking order so as to prove he has learned from his mistakes. His old club St Kilda has not ruled out offering Frawley a job next season, nor has the AFL where he once worked in game development. There are also media opportunities.

For now he will coach out his contract and is looking for a response that has rarely been there this season. But, to take the emotion out of it, there will be an army of Tiger supporters eyeing early draft picks who hope the rallying remains insignificant.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/28/1088392603166.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 12:52:26 AM »

I don't have any angst against Frawley. Moved on already to wonder who our next coach will be and what major changes will be made to our playing list. The sad fact was he wasn't up to coaching and developing a AFL list into a team. However, it's awful to see what coaching has done to Danny personally both physically and emotionally. You've got to be concerned for his long-term health looking at the pic :o.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 08:17:21 AM »
Kids to that to a person as well.  I'm really on in my early 30's - not my late 30's :P

Ox

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 01:17:16 PM »

I don't have any angst against Frawley - I do!!

. You've got to be concerned for his long-term health looking at the pic.
stuff him!
We paid him and he took it.
He is a rudderless ship in the coaching world and his friends and family should have told him he was a dud an save everyone the pain and setback.
Sooner he goes the better.

Jackstar

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 01:35:32 PM »
Wayne Campbell bought up a good point this morning on radio, he said the club was to blame and I totally agree.
Danny is actually a nice bloke although nice blokes dont make good coaches.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 01:00:36 PM »
Wayne Campbell bought up a good point this morning on radio, he said the club was to blame and I totally agree.

Yep the whole Club is too blame but why does it take these scenarios for people at the Club to acknowledge it ??? :-\

Danny is actually a nice bloke although nice blokes dont make good coaches.

So true Jackstar.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
There's an article in the Australian today comparing Spud staying on at Richmond after getting the flick and Sheeds doing the same at Essendon.

------------------

Sheedy's long goodbye is toxic
Chip Le Grand | August 07, 2007 | The Australian

PETER SCHWAB believes it is untenable. Danny Frawley describes it as the most difficult thing he endured in football.

Yet for now, Essendon and Kevin Sheedy are determined to make it work.

The example of Frawley at Richmond is instructive. Clinton Casey, the club president at the time, believes the interests of both parties were served by Frawley coaching out the second half of the 2004 season after coach and club agreed to part ways during the mid-season break.

"It worked for us but that is not to say it is going to work for everyone," Casey said yesterday.

"Danny had a good relationship with the players and it was a mutual decision. He was happy for us to start our search for a new coach and it avoided the need for a caretaker."

Certainly, the club benefited from the arrangement. While Frawley agreed to mothball senior players and give game time to his younger recruits, Richmond was free to rebuild its football department around new senior coach Terry Wallace.

Whether Frawley benefited from the arrangement is less clear. Frawley does not regret his decision to stay on as coach, but he believes his stocks were damaged. Richmond did not win another game for the rest of the year and Frawley now concedes it was impossible to coach with the commitment he previously did.

"The competitive edge goes out of your veins," Frawley said. "The thing that got me through was trying to give all these youngsters a game.

"We played (Shane) Tuck and we played (Andrew) Raines and gave other guys an opportunity and some meaningful goals and that is what got me through."

Where the younger players were excited to be playing, Frawley felt his bond break with the senior group.

"There is no doubt," he said. "You are coaching a club and you have got players going out to see Terry when there are five or six weeks to go. That is tough."

The only benefit to Frawley was that by the time round 22 came around, he was more than ready to leave. When the moment arrived, there was no grand send-off; not even a handshake.

"On the Monday after the last game, after being there for five and a half years, I walked in there at 7.45am. There was no one around. I cleaned my desk out and was out of there by 7.55am. That is the last time I have been back."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22200077-5012432,00.html

Ox

There's an article in the Australian today comparing Spud staying on at Richmond after getting the flick and Sheeds doing the same at Essendon.

The only benefit to Frawley was that by the time round 22 came around, he was more than ready to leave. When the moment arrived, there was no grand send-off; not even a handshake.

"On the Monday after the last game, after being there for five and a half years, I walked in there at 7.45am. There was no one around. I cleaned my desk out and was out of there by 7.55am. That is the last time I have been back."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22200077-5012432,00.html

:nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity
 :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats :congrats
:ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL  :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 06:53:14 AM »
 :clapping :clapping :clapping

f o spud, we dont want u to set foot back in our club

:rollin :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
"We played (Shane) Tuck and we played (Andrew) Raines and gave other guys an opportunity and some meaningful goals and that is what got me through."
Now this is just crap Spud. Rainesy only debuted in our last game of 2004 and Tuck was virtually out of door because you wouldn't play him. Played just 3 games R14-16 then dropped despite having more possessions than half his teammates.