Author Topic: Senior players = cancer, tackling deficiencys, defense wins championships +more  (Read 3788 times)

Offline pattersonmiller

• Tiger Rookie
Senior players = cancer, tackling deficiencys, defense wins championships, 2007 NAB drafts, culling of the list, sides for next year and my old articles and long time beliefs of Terry Wallace coached teams.

I know pressure is building around the club and the like, but I have been relatively happy with the way the club has stood strong in recent times.

However, our leadership group is the poorest in the AFL.  Come draft time we need character people who have leadership skills on and off the field.

Bowden. J, Tivendale, Richardson, Johnson, Pettifer, Tuck, Knobel, Krakeour
(And our elder players) minus 2 just don’t cut it unfortunately. I don’t see the need to keep them any longer. They do not deserve success. Nathan Brown and Troy Simmonds show leadership despite being under some duress.

The senior players at Richmond, minus Simmonds and Brown are Cancers at our footy club.

A point on the way Richmond play, we do not pressure the ball carrier, and our tackling technique needs work. (The hips boys)  This needs to be rectified quickly.

To be successful in the AFL you need at least 3 things.
•   Win Contested ball,
•   Win clearances
•   And tackle more than the opposition.

If you do these things well you win more games than you lose.

Statistics from 1996: (Mostly concerned with the lack of tackling and the 1% per centers Terry Wallace coached sides do in a season).

Tackling

1996: Sydney = Runners up Rated 1st in tackling Footscray: 16th
1997: Adelaide = Premiers 1st in tackling W.B 12th
1998: Adelaide = Premiers 1st W.B 11th
1999: Kangaroos = Premiers 4th W.B 10th
2000: Essendon = Premiers 2nd W.B 14th

(Note Essendon’s only loss in 2000 was to the Western Bulldogs in round 21. Western Bulldogs tackled more than Essendon that evening.

2001: Brisbane Lions = Premiers 4th in tackles W.B 15th

(Note in 2002 and 2003 Brisbane was rated no 1 in tackles in the competition).

2005: Sydney = Premiers 1st in tackling Richmond 15th
2006: Melbourne = ? 1st in tackling Richmond 11th

1 per centers (Smothers, Shepard’s, blocks,) e.t.c
2000: Essendon = Premiers 4th in 1 per centers W.B 16th

2001, 2002, 2003, 2004: Brisbane = Runners up and Premiers 3 straight years
No 1 in one per centers W.B in 2001 15th

2005: Sydney = Premiers 1st in one per centers Richmond 16th
2006: Melbourne = ? 1st in one per centers Richmond 15th

Note: Premiership teams in the history of the game have been good tackling sides. Tackling does many things in a game of football; it places pressure on the opposition and even places perceived pressure when you do it correctly. It obviously fatigues sides later in the contest also. In Finals games when there is a definite improvement in areas mentioned above, it has been proven that Terry Wallace coached teams do not tackle and apply physical pressure and 1%’s on the ball carrier, or in the game in general.
In Wallace’s best years in charge of a team 1997 and 1998 they were overrun and then smashed by the crows in both years. You could see Adelaide lift especially in 1997 because they were not being tackled, and therefore were not tired at games end. It gave them the ability to run the game out.

Wallace at the Bulldogs had one of the best tacklers the game has seen in Tony Liberatore. Even still it did not assist tackle numbers team wise. Romero, West, Dimma, and others were also productive tacklers or should have been.
Wallace allows teams with good foot skills too much time and space. In Richmond’s severe losses this year, the opposition has eased through the midfield with the mindset they would not be tackled. (Figures above prove this) Sydney, W.B were allowed too much time and space. If you give AFL footballer’s time and space they surely will cause havoc.

Wallace is successful in limiting contested marks, as well as hard ball gets to the opposition, although this may be a thing of the past. Most teams now play with an uncontested aspect to assist their running players. Teams with numerous forward options will often beat a Terry Wallace coached side. He likes to have a defender such as a Bowden free at Richmond to zone off or be the 3rd man up at the contest. At the Bulldogs Craig Ellis or Todd Curley would do that role. If you are the opposition and you see this, you surely direct some football through Bowden to hurt them on the scoreboard.

Wallace has struggled to beat coaches such as Mark Williams, Schwab (Hawthorn), Malthouse and Matthews because of either their success at uncontested style of football, their ability to tackle fiercely, or the fact they have had numerous options up forward.

Wallace would probably like to play 22 wingman if he could. A fast running side that does not tackle. The purchase of Tambling and Oakley-Nicholls may come off, although at present Richmond stand 16th at clearances. Either at stop plays or centre breaks. In and under footballers would stop this trend. Richmond have refused to draft Nathan Jones and Jordan Lewis who are excellent at the stoppages, rather they chose Danny Meyer and Tambling types.

The lack of an up and coming spine could spell disaster for Richmond. If you pressure Richmond’s defence they do not have the ability to hit targets going forward. At the Bulldogs Wallace did not have the spine to win in September.
With the draft picks at his disposal (at Richmond) he could have well and truly improved the position of Richmond’s talls. However he has decided to go with the Western Bulldogs style again which did not pay dividends the first time around.

Wallace is a very smart business operator, has excellent media skills which will benefit the club with members and sponsorship. However it remains to be seen whether he will take the Richmond side to sustained success. The lack of tackling, sustained pressure, one per centers and clearances (with bigger bodies) need to be worked upon. Whether it will remains to be seen. As history and statistics show you need to be successful at tackling to win premierships. With Wallace at the helm it is highly doubtful. 

Note: In Richmond’s best seasons in recent times: 1995 and 2001 they were a good tackling side.
1995: 1st in total tackles
2001: 3rd in total tackles.

Players to look At.

I strongly suggest you look at the following players come draft time.

Rhys Clinton (SA)

Ryan Hobbs, Chris Kangars, Lachlan Henderson, Dawson Simpson (VC)

Kreuzer, Maric, Polkinghorne, Croft, Cotchin, (VM)

Masten, Palmer, Starling, Pears, Rance, Morton, Gourdis, McGinnity, Venturini  (W.A)

Tom Frawley (NT)

Joseph, Bellchambers (TAS)

Searl Michael (North Ballarat VFL)

Gazzo, Silvestor, Robertson, Mullins (Coburg Tigers)

Colbert (Northern Bullants)

Delistment and Trades

These players do not deserve to be at the resurgent Tigers of the future. This is reality.

Delist: Hartigan, Moore, P.Bowden, Hall, Knobel, Kingsley, Krakeour, Tivendale, Jackson, Howat, and Hyde.

Trade: J. Bowden, Richardson, Johnson, Tuck, Pettifer, Schulz, Raines, McGuane, Newman.

20 players who will not be in a premiership side at Richmond. More than half our list has significant flaws and that is why we are no good at the present time.

I am telling you that these players should be flushed out over the next 2 seasons.

How I think the first round and a bit will go:

1.   Richmond:    Kreuzer
2.   Melbourne:   Cotchin
3.   Carlton:    Palmer
4.   Adelaide:   Masten
5.   Fremantle:   Rance
6.   Brisbane:   Morton
7.   Essendon:   Kangars
8.   W.B:      Henderson
9.   ST Kilda:   Pears
10.   Haw:      Grimes
11.   Syd:      Myers / Hobbs
12.   Port:      Ebert
13.   WC:      Vespresmi
14.   Kang:      Polkinghorne
15.   Coll:      Maric
16.   Geelong:   Bellchambers
17.   Rich:      McGinnity
18.   Melb:      McEvoy
19.   Rich:      (Trade for Cameron Wood) pick 19 and Raines or McGuane)
20.   Melb:      Gourdis

Our Draft Choices: Picks

1 / 2      Kreuzer / Masten
17 / 18      McGinnity
19 / 20      Cameron Wood (trade for pick 19 / 20 and Raines or McGuane.
35 / 36      Silvestor
51 / 52      Joseph /  D. Simpson / (Ruckmen)  Starling
67 / 68      Venturini / Searl / Croft
83 / 84      Searl / Croft

Rookies: King (maintained); Graham (elevated); Howat (delisted); Clingan (maintained).

2 picks: Mullins and Robertson (Coburg Tigers)

PSD: Meesan

Make this happen: Our Draft Choices: Picks

At trade time Offer Pettifer, Schulz and Tuck. Others are no good or have no currency. (Check it out though). Check players above. (Delistment / Trades section)

Pettifer (to St Kilda) 3rd Round Pick
Tuck (to Collingwood) 3rd Round pick
Schulz (to Footscray for Minson and 4th Round pick)

So Draft Picks look like this.

1 / 2                     Kreuzer / Masten
17 / 18                     McGinnity
19 / 20                     Wood (trade for pick 19 / 20 and Raines or McGuane.
35 / 36               Silvestor
3rd round pick Saints         Joseph
3rd round picks Pies         Simpson D. / (Ruckmen)
51 / 52               Venturini /  Starling      
4th round pick Dogs + Minson   Croft
67 / 68               Searl
83 / 84.            Gazzo

Rookies: King (maintained); Graham (elevated); Howat (delisted); Clingan (maintained).

2 picks: Mullins and Robertson (Coburg Tigers)

PSD: Meesan

Sides for next year if my trade scenarios are taken on board:

Richmond:

B.    Newman / Croft   Silvestor      Thursfield

H.B   Polo         Polak         Oakley – Nicholls

C.   Joseph / Connors   Coughlan      Deledio

HF   Brown         *Hughes      Tambling

FF       Edwards      *Richardson      *Riewoldt

R:   Wood / Kreuzer    Johnson / Masten   Foley

Int:   McGinnity   Meesan   Joseph / Connors   *Simmonds / Minson

* Swap.

Coburg:

B.   Frawley (NT)      Robertson      Clingan

HB.   Casserley      Searl         Caruso

C.   Meyer         Collins         Peterson

HF.   Dagher         *Graham      Mullins

FF.   Gazzo         *Foster      *Ronaldson   

R.   *Pattison      Faralley (s.p)      Shelton

Int.   Caruso      Horne      Venturini   Croft   

* = 4 way swap.   

Our young kids are fine, they will develop and be good players but it is the senior blokes who have the loser mentality that we have to erode. The 4/5 players players directly under this paragraph are cancers. Cut the cancer out to survive.

K. Johnson(played in 2 flags) does he need any more individual success? Does he strive for us to be successful, not in my eyes. Never a senior core leader at Adelaide. (Rehn, Riccutio, McLeod) e.t.c. Delist/ Trade. Retire

J. Bowden soft unaccountable footballer Delist/Trade. Retire

K. Pettrified as above.

M. Richardson is a perennial loser like Bowden. Delist / Trade/ Retire.

I think Simmonds is o.k.

The next leadership group should be like this. From next year!!

N.Foley (Capt), Polo (v.c), Pattison, O-Nicholls Riewoldt (the last 3 deputies).

It is my belief that if they keep the Bowdens, Pettrified, Johnson and Richardson at years end I will probably call it quits as a member.

I guarantee if the cancer is gone, you go back to living a vibrant existence.

Richmond’s ‘senior core’ is the worst in the comp. It’s like cancer, cut it out and the cancer hopefully goes away.

We are going no-where until… Johnson, J.Bowden, Richardson, Pettifer, Tuck, Tivendale, Krakeour, Knobel and Kingsley are gone.

How long do we give these guys another 3 years? Get rid of em. Cancer riddled is Richmond. Harsh but true. When will people wake up? Why do the aforementioned deserve to be here any more?

Inspirational finals appearances, great leaders of men. Premiership Captains? Pathetic!

They have achieved very little in football and seem to get away with it. They would be the first blokes to – to get their paychecks as well.

These players have fooled supporters for far too long and if they are there next year we will gain another priority pick, but loose all forms of support from outside the club.

It is no co-incidence that we have lost close game this year as our ‘leaders’ are pathetic. Who would motivate when things get tough? No-one.

Think back and watch the finals against Essendon and Brisbane in 2001. The above players who were playing were terrible. Solomon beat Richo. Bowden had 29 uncontested possessions but we lost by nearly 100 points. Yet they are still there 6 seasons later- thriving on money given to them by our cash-strapped club.

Would supporters be disappointed if the aforementioned players left? It could be handled by saying more patience and I as a supporter would say o.k. They are gone, draft picks are coming and 2011 here we come! I would rather that than these muppets still getting a game.

It’s time to go…  Johnson, J.Bowden, Richardson, Pettifer, Tuck, Tivendale, Krakeour, Knobel and Kingsley:

Trade bait: Schulz, Meyer:

A good fullback could be found in Willets from Port or Silvestor from Coburg

Another inside midfielder could be Adam Thomson also from Port.

That is all.

Defense wins championships. Nearly always do. This is an American advertisement, yet it has merit to all sports all over the world. If you stop your opponent from scoring you will have more chance of winning won’t you? NFL coaches who have employed this mantra. Belichick, Parcells, Cowher, Dungy. If you haven’t heard of these guys look them up. AFL coaches today who employ this mantra. Worsfold, Roos, Matthews, (now Lyon) the first 3 established set back 6’s, in their terrific teams.

Attacking teams can win home and away games but struggle at finals time. There are Numerous examples in a lot of sports. Phoenix Suns is one in the NBA. Spain in soccer. Eade and Daniher, established attacking coaches, how many premierships? None. And they will never win one with the style of play they dictate on players. Wallace is following quickly on their lead.

Under Wallace, Richmond has not improved its defensive mindset one bit. Wallace is a glorified media performer who loves the lights of Vegas and all it entails. However when he is at the blackjack table in a big contest, ability and defensive tendencies go out the window and he will be found wanting. All bluff, no action. You get the similarity. Who make the best boxers? Boxers who defend the knockout punch early and are able to counterattack with flurries and uppercuts right throughout the duration of the fight. Wallace would come out like Ali and like him would have the media’s attention. Yet Wallace would have no idea about Rope a dope would he? I am sure Wallace believes he needs to and that his players have to be visually entertaining to the crowd. No. Tackle hard, man up, no zoning, and pressure the ball carrier would do me.

How can we improve? Surely get you back 6 working together for 2 years. A set back six is crucial in premiership teams, Brisbane, North, Sydney, W.C (all dynasties in the sense of the word) all had a set back 6.

b.p Raines. F.b Thursfield (Gaspar only a stop gap) b.p McGuane.
h.b O-Nicholls. Chb. Polak. H.b Newman. (Bowden not in my long term plans) Play them together, the back 6 is like a team in a team, they will learn tendencies, weaknesses and learn to love each other and more importantly win the little battles.

With our midfield struggling, why can’t Wallet introduce a midfield flood. Play your hff’s and one forward pocket as extra midfielders. This does many things. It opens up our forward half. Only 3 possibly 4 blokes up there. ONE on One. Advantage forwards. It will make it harder for sides to win stoppages, and out bulk us at set plays and the like. As well as supporting our young ruckmen.

So basically the team will line up in soccer terms. 6-9-3. More bodies around where the ball is. It would have stopped the ridiculous ease of Stevens, Scotland and Houlihan at crucial stages in the last quarter.

I can be a believer of Wallace if he improves the teams: 1%’s, tackling numbers, stoppages and shepards. He has been poor at all of those at the bullies and now with us. Is it improving? No.

The following players will need to be moved on and none of them will be a premiership player for us.

J. Bowden. Bowden, P. Krakouer, Hyde, Jackson, Pettifer, Howat, Hall, Moore, Tivendale, Hartigan, Gaspar, Knobel, Hughes, Johnson, Schulz.

And if there are people that think otherwise, then they are not footy smart, or lack the killer instincts that other clubs do.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Welcome back.  :'(

At least you've updated a bit of your rant this time.  :D
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

How can we improve? Surely get you back 6 working together for 2 years. A set back six is crucial in premiership teams, Brisbane, North, Sydney, W.C (all dynasties in the sense of the word) all had a set back 6.

b.p Raines. F.b Thursfield (Gaspar only a stop gap) b.p McGuane.
h.b O-Nicholls. Chb. Polak. H.b Newman. (Bowden not in my long term plans) Play them together, the back 6 is like a team in a team, they will learn tendencies, weaknesses and learn to love each other and more importantly win the little battles.

When was this diatribe written?

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
poo dude, you got nothing better to do with your time lol  :rollin

anyway agree with most of your points and welcome to OER  :cheers

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
hey that is a fantastic post, not sure who wrote but its true

how about you email that to terry and tell him u r after his job!

im sure u can do better than terry

gr8 read!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Nice try  :help

Ramps

i doubt the club has the ability to do even 10% of that stuff, some of it i agree with some of it i dont, everyones entitled to there view.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
true ramps

still a good read though

isnt amazing how many ppl find posts  :sleep :sleep :sleep just because they dont agree

we all have a right to have our own opinions

mine are based on the skill level and performance of our team

this suggests to me something is really wrong with
a/ the coaching
b/ the recruiting
c/ both

but tery will still blame danny and his recruiting! now thats what makes you  :sleep

Ox

STFU U stupid,repetitive bogans

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Or maybe just 'bogan' - hmmmm

Tigermonk

OMFG whats all this YA BOGAN   ::)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
cut my scoz locks and mullet way back in the 80's

Gordon Bennett

evaluator = pattersonmiller
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:29:17 PM by Gordon Bennett »

Offline pattersonmiller

• Tiger Rookie
I wish people would stop sugar coating things.

Bennett and Powell are the worst.   :sleep  :sleep  :help  :banghead

Read the posts and tell me there not true.

Wake up.  :pray