Author Topic: Sack Hardwick [merged]  (Read 274330 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sack Hardwick [merged]
« Reply #3615 on: October 02, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
The stand out for me is the doggies play for each other. Genuinely.

In comparison, Richmond players look like a bunch of individuals who at best 'get along'.

And at the doggies that has a helluva lot to do with their leaders or in particular their captain one Bob Murphy. Galvanised that group
You're right again WP. :clapping

All started with Cotchin not wanting to wear the number 17 guernsey. It spoke volumes about the way he placed his own wants over the clubs. Doggies have a team first mentality. It is palpable. We have a "every man for himself" mentality and it also shows...... :banghead

Cotchin was right - the whole "Captain wears 17" thing was contrived bollocks...glad he put a stop to it......
I agree that it was. However, the symbolic gesture of doing what the club wanted though was completely ignored. Sometimes you accept to do things you don't agree with for the sake of unity....
The easiest thing for Cotch to do back then was to wear the number 17. It took leadership IMO to do what he did. I really liked what he did.
But that's not to say he wasn't being selfish either though.
Time for Cotch to just concentrate on playing good footy now and give the captaincy up. But I don't think our club is strong enough to do it.
Couldn't imagine Beveridge asking Bob Murphy to wear the number 3 guernsey (EJ's) and him refusing......

Therein lies the difference between the two teams.

Ps. And yes I know Wallis wears it. I'm just throwing in a hypothetical.
lol i couldnt imagine Beveredge worrying about such a pointless, grand standing exercise.

from memory one of the reasons cotchin didnt want to change numbers was for the kids that wore his number. selfish git.

it was a wank fest and as a leader, he, hopefully, put paid to it.
I cannot remember him ever saying that! Get me a quote or you're making it up Alistair.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3616 on: October 02, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
John Platten refused to change numbers when Jeans asked him to, as Alan believed that high numbers are for players yet to prove themselves.

Thank stuff we never had platten at the club, as no doubt that act symbolised the problems that plagued Hawthorn through the 80s
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3617 on: October 02, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
John Platten refused to change numbers when Jeans asked him to, as Alan believed that high numbers are for players yet to prove themselves.

Thank stuff we never had platten at the club, as no doubt that act symbolised the problems that plagued Hawthorn through the 80s
That's a bit different from the club "rule" that the captain wears number 17. Respect the rules, even if they are silly. The club was just as weak not enforcing it though.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3618 on: October 02, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
I said from memory, which means that if it is incorrect it is my memory, not making stuff up. so no need to idiot just because others disagree with you. you can stop being a doctor on here.

The thread is most probably merged into the cotchin thread and the search function is useless on these forum boards

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3619 on: October 02, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »
People complain all year about unity and the club having a vision that everyone buys into and now 'suddenly' they are happy Cotchin went against the club

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3620 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:31 PM »

That's a bit different from the club "rule" that the captain wears number 17. Respect the rules, even if they are silly. The club was just as weak not enforcing it though.
it was a "rule", same as we have now, or as much of one as the number 17 was a rule.

It was a player going directly against the express wishes of the coach.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3621 on: October 02, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »

it was a "rule", same as we have now, or as much of one as the number 17 was a rule.

It was a player going directly against the express wishes of the coach.
It was a suggestion from Jeans as he preferred it. It was not a club rule. Very different. Platten wasn't even the captain.The captain sets the trend.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3622 on: October 02, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »
Think you will find it was a policy that jeans implemented as it was something he wanted to happen, yet dimma couldnt have given a stuff about the number 17 thing.

But Hardwick is wondering what all the fuss is about.

Asked if he was surprised about the obsession with guernsey numbers, Hardwick said: "It does (surprise me), a fraction. I suppose it's something as a coach you often don't think about.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=16999.msg342188#msg342188

as for not being captain, does that give any more right to not follow team rules, coaches wishes or whatever or are you suggesting that only the captain has to do so?

tony_montana

« Reply #3623 on: October 02, 2016, 03:13:46 PM »
Al is correct, I do recall Cotch saying that and no I can't be bothered giving you the proof you require and no I'm not making it up.

It was a ridiculous rule and I'm glad cotch put a stop to it. For mine it symbolised what our club has become, - grandstanding and doing things for the sake of being seen to be doing something

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3624 on: October 02, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »
I respect that cotchin attempted to mark the beginning of a new era.

It's the club who allowed the decision.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3625 on: October 02, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »
Having said that, let's go with 17 now
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #3626 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
Why do we need to go with 17?

Just stuffing carve out our own history and stop looking in the past which is a problem this club has had for about 20 odd years

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3627 on: October 02, 2016, 03:28:24 PM »

Just stuffing carve out our own history and stop looking in the past which is a problem this club has had for about 20 odd years

We tried that. Lolw
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #3628 on: October 02, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
And we tried to go with 17, that was a bit of a joke too.

So where does that leave us? Lol

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3629 on: October 02, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »

What about number 6? I liked David Palm as a player. Plus, when Cotch kakks himself and sticks his head in the sand, his 9 looks like a 6. Win win. Win.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018