Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 166183 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #735 on: August 25, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
From Tony Sheahen's twitter page:

"Latest oil is Dusty wants to stay a Tiger, his Dad wants to listen to North Melbourne"

I wonder if Old Man Dusty is earning a quid or relying on young bloke Dusty to provide for him?
Sums up a lot of my suspicions.

tony_montana

« Reply #736 on: August 25, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »
 :lol. Latest oil is it tony?

This from the flog that started this weeks feeding frenzy in the media

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
It makes sense for Dustin Martin to stay at Tigerland: Caro (Age)
« Reply #737 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »
It makes sense for Dustin Martin to stay at Tigerland

Caroline Wilson
The Age
26 August 2017

It would be so easy to declare on the eve of Richmond's last home-and-away game that Dustin Martin would be crazy to leave the Tigers.

That, of course, is the prevailing view across the football landscape.

And it is an opinion that is as pragmatic as it is romantic. Because not only will Richmond's seven-year, $1.1 million contract offer make the 26-year-old Martin a very rich man should he remain with a big and potentially successful outfit, but the individual sponsorship deals he will command as a one-club player can — with astute management — secure his future.

There is no hotter player in the AFL than the enigmatic and publicly reticent Martin, explosive on the field and largely silent off it.

There is no hotter story in football than this extraordinary waiting game as the Tigers aim for a top-four position with their reigning club champion and short-priced Brownlow Medal favourite refusing to commit beyond next month.

You can only imagine the airport media circus in the coming days when Martin, joined by his eccentric manager Ralph Carr, head together to New Zealand to visit the champion player's exiled father Shane – father and son are expected to appear soon in an exclusively sold television interview.

Richmond remain unsure whether the Shane Martin visit will bring a decision on his son's future but what appears certain is that the Tigers' offer is their final offer.

Although the Martin camp may rightly question why his club cannot match the latest massive bid from the Kangaroos, most observers are questioning how a rebuilding North Melbourne can justify plunging so much money into one player.

This is an intriguing and dramatic play by North and should it fail, the repercussions seem almost too drastic to hang on just one player.

Even the coach, who must surely have spoken to Martin by now, and his future at the club, are tied to Dusty's choice.

Again it would be easy to break up the difference between the two bids – reportedly $2.8 million over a seven-year period — and mitigate that difference with the tax, the agent's fees, the pressure that would accompany Martin as the franchise player at a smaller club, along with the familiarity he currently enjoys at Richmond. Not to mention the external money that will come his way anyway should he win the Brownlow.

And the external view is that the Tigers have been as good for Martin over the journey as he has been for them. And for a cautionary tale, look no further than the sorry situation being played out between the Gold Coast and Gary Ablett.

It is not fair to compare the Suns and and their ongoing teething problems with North — which very recently played successive preliminary finals — but what is comparable is that Ablett went for the money, an offer he could not refuse, and now he is unhappy and desperately wants to break his contract and come home — and has for more than a year.

Former list manager Gary Buckenara told News Limited this week that Richmond could sell yet another revised Martin offer to its fans.

Interestingly, Martin reportedly indicated during the pre-season that he was waiting to see if the Tigers were heading in the right direction before making a decision.

What is now clear is that it has become about the money. So, alternatively, should Martin reject the Tigers for a godfather offer and no other reason, then supporters would hardly turn on the club.

Richmond, who hold a plan B, would rightly sell Martin's potential departure as a commercial decision and publicly wish him well.

The Tigers, too, would cut their losses, secure in the knowledge they could go no further. And should that happen, both parties are to be congratulated on how they have handled this contractual stand-off. A stand-off which could drag through September, although the club hopes will end with a new deal before the finals.

Even if the view prevails that Martin owes the club for its role in managing his welfare, it is also true that he has come of age as a champion this season.

Neil Balme and Daniel Richardson have played it as well as they possibly could. And the club has made finals.

And Carr, despite being a figure of some derision in an industry which remains suspicious of outsiders, has certainly done a brilliant job for his client in holding out. So, despite the dread in the hearts and minds of Richmond supporters, everyone has played their role, whatever you think of Martin's waiting game.

And as obvious as it seems to football romantics and pragmatists that Tigerland is surely Martin's home, only the player himself knows just how far he has come and therefore how important to his future well-being this massive pay day could prove. That is a view that will most likely be reinforced by his father.

Because no one but Martin has walked through his life in his shoes.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/it-makes-sense-for-dustin-martin-to-stay-at-tigerland-20170825-gy4l7z.html

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #738 on: August 26, 2017, 06:32:07 AM »
Spot on Caro. I'm glad that the clubs offer is final stuff him. The club has done everything right here and it's only ever been about the coin. The idea that was speculated on here that he was was tied to Hardwick's future was laughable.

I'm more curious about what our plan b is? Maybe it's better than plan a
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #739 on: August 26, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »
There is no plan B for this year. That's a Richmond plant designed to spook player and manager
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #740 on: August 26, 2017, 06:46:26 AM »
There is no plan B for this year. That's a Richmond plant designed to spook player and manager

Sounds like its the same ethos even on game day
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
From Tony Sheahen's twitter page:

"Latest oil is Dusty wants to stay a Tiger, his Dad wants to listen to North Melbourne"

I wonder if Old Man Dusty is earning a quid or relying on young bloke Dusty to provide for him?
Sums up a lot of my suspicions.

So Dusty wants to stay  ::)

If that's the case there is no need for Dad to listen to anything else

Only person he should be listening to is his son

And as for his son, stand up and tell your Dad & moronic manager that YOU have DECIDED and end this circus now

What a crock

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
I'm still of the opinion that Dusty is a man of his word.

He said he won't make an announcement till the end of the season. I'm not sure why everybody is now expecting/wanting him to make one before the end of the season.

Still quietly confident although the last hail Mary form North has probably worried me a little for the first time.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

Possibly.

I heard a rumour that we are looking at a GWS player, but not Kelly. I assume it might be Hopper, but apparently Whitfield might also be available.

Who knows. But with Balme in the fold, I feel confident that we will have some recovery plan in place.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »

He said he won't make an announcement till the end of the season. I'm not sure why everybody is now expecting/wanting him to make one before the end of the season.

Still quietly confident although the last hail Mary form North has probably worried me a little for the first time.
Sorry Doc, but I just don't buy it that he hasn't made up his mind. Visiting his father to confer with him? What a wank, haven't they heard of telephones. I reckon this is all about screwing which ever club he is playing at for as money as possible so Ralphy can be an attractive option for other players to have as a manager.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »

Sorry Doc, but I just don't buy it that he hasn't made up his mind. Visiting his father to confer with him? What a wank, haven't they heard of telephones. I reckon this is all about screwing which ever club he is playing at for as money as possible so Ralphy can be an attractive option for other players to have as a manager.
Dusty always visits his father when there is a bye. Has he actually told anyone that he is going to see him to discuss his contract? I haven't heard anything form the man himself.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »

Dusty always visits his father when there is a bye. Has he actually told anyone that he is going to see him to discuss his contract? I haven't heard anything form the man himself.
That's a good point but I believe in the theory of when there's smoke, there's fire. It's just a matter of how big the fire is.

The other thing is the clubs language around this has changed significantly from "we are comfortable with this" to " I love him and always will regardless of what decision he makes" or words to that affect.

In my opinion he is gone and everyone bar the general public knows about it. Hope I am wrong.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #747 on: August 26, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
Thats a great point ^.

Hardwicks press conference yesterday smacked of that sentiment.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #748 on: August 26, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
I was reading the Twitter comments from Ricky Nixon. I must profess to finding it difficult to follow these types of conversation.

But it seemed that there might have been a suggestion, obviously unsubstantiated, that North had withdrawn their offer.

So to be honest, I am totally confused, but I am in the camp that says I wish the circus would end and we can just get on with things.

tony_montana

« Reply #749 on: August 26, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »

Thats exactly right,  and as i mentioned earlier, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know Dusty is going to new zealand to see his dad during the break which has been on the cards since he went back to NZ  ::) then the media add a bit of sauce to it claiming hes going to get his dads opinion on it and bang, the frenzy is on. A lot of people in here have been played by the media
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:43:34 PM by tony_montana »