Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 879793 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4380 on: May 06, 2017, 05:07:40 PM »
He was also very ordinary chasing Melbourne players. Was a couple of steps away from the opposition and didn't even run to pressure on more than one occasion....
You could say that about most players at some stage in every game.
6 tackles tells me he was having a pretty decent dip defensively.
Add that to him not being 100% fit that night and he was awesome imo.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4381 on: May 06, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »
He was also very ordinary chasing Melbourne players. Was a couple of steps away from the opposition and didn't even run to pressure on more than one occasion....
No. Unless you were there and it happened in front of your eyes you wouldn't say this.  It was extremely poor to see him put zero defensive effort in those situations.  The group I was with agreed that he must be injured to look so lame. However he came out in the last quarter like a different player when he was in an attacking mode. We can't afford any of our players to be so poor defensively. If he is not fit, rest him. If he is fit, he must up his defensive efforts.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4382 on: May 06, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »
No. Unless you were there and it happened in front of your eyes you wouldn't say this.  It was extremely poor to see him put zero defensive effort in those situations.  The group I was with agreed that he must be injured to look so lame. However he came out in the last quarter like a different player when he was in an attacking mode. We can't afford any of our players to be so poor defensively. If he is not fit, rest him. If he is fit, he must up his defensive efforts.
I was there.
And like I said you can pick lazy efforts from any player if you look hard enough. Even the greats have lazy moments and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Martin wasn't 100% in that game and maybe he decide which efforts were worth potentially making it worse. Have you got a problem with someone of his caliber making that call if he isn't 100% fit?

Overall has was very good that night and was instrumental in us winning that game, don't let a few lazy efforts take away from that fact.
If Dusty doesn't play that night, we don't win.

tony_montana

« Reply #4383 on: May 06, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
Agree BT, think we can sometimes get too picky - guy is a superstar and doesnt deserve to have every error scrutinized.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #4384 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
I also noticed that he failed to put pressure on a few times in the Dees game. As in, even less defensive pressure than he usual exerts. Looked hampered by something. Still played well on balance though.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4385 on: May 06, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Never said he didn't play well. He ended up being one of our best and won the game for us. However, that was against a team that was two men down and disadvantaged. We need him playing well and defending against top sides not just thumping minnows. And I love Dusty. Just needs to bring defence and well as offence sometimes....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4386 on: May 06, 2017, 10:14:33 PM »
His kicking was off tonight. For goal and inside 50s. An ok performance but we expect more from Dusty

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4387 on: May 06, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »
His kicking was off tonight. For goal and inside 50s. An ok performance but we expect more from Dusty
Yep. It's been off for a few weeks. He had a game high 7 clangers tonight. I wonder if that groin injury is hampering him more than is being lead on.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

« Reply #4388 on: May 06, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
I thought he was influential tonight. For mine didnt look hampered by the groin and seemed to be moving freely again after looking noticeably ginger the previous 2 weeks.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4389 on: May 06, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »
That effort on the outer wing was as elite contested play you'll see. Must do his head in seeing some of his opponents shirk contests sometimes.
Go Tigers!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4390 on: May 06, 2017, 11:58:28 PM »
That effort on the outer wing was as elite contested play you'll see. Must do his head in seeing some of his opponents shirk contests sometimes.

My penis did move when I saw that play. I thought that maybe we would be home. I agree that was an amazing passage from him

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4391 on: May 07, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »
I thought he was influential tonight. For mine didnt look hampered by the groin and seemed to be moving freely again after looking noticeably ginger the previous 2 weeks.
Fair enough, TM. He did have 28 possies and kicked 2 goals. Perhaps I'm a harsh judge. I just think Dusty's disposal at times in the last few rounds has been ordinary. Missing too many getable targets that have resulted in missed opportunities and/or turnovers (obviously he's not robinson crusoe there at Richmond). He had 4 ineffective kicks in the 3rd qtr tonight and his kicking for goal was off. IMHO, Dusty has dropped away a bit from the eliteness of the first 3 rounds. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4392 on: May 07, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »
That miss in the last qtr was costly, so costly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4393 on: May 07, 2017, 12:57:18 AM »
Think Dusty can be given some slack, 28 touches and 2 goals. More mistakes than we would like. Take Dusty out and we lose by 5 goals tonight IMO.
Go Tigers!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4394 on: May 07, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »
When you get it as many times as Dusty does and in close like and under pressure like Dusty does, there is going to be some missed targets and even some missed goal due to fatigue.

I seriously don't get people that want to pick out 3 missed kicks from 100 minutes of footy from a guy that nearly wins you the game every week. Same goes for Rance, Jack and Cotch. It's the other meatheads in our side that do 5 good things  and then do 6 stupid things for the game that need scrutinising imo. The Houli's, Astbury's and of course the BEllis'.

If I were those 4 I'd lose my poo playing for this side.