Author Topic: AFLW R10: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Arden St, Sun. Oct. 30  (Read 4487 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The 'critical' part of Tigers' success deserving of more credit (aflw site)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 05:27:22 AM »
LISTEN: The 'critical' part of Tigers' success deserving of more credit

Sarah Black
womens.afl
27 October 2022

RICHMOND superstar Monique Conti has received her fair share of deserved praise this year, but Tigers vice-captain Sarah Hosking is a big fan of players from another line.

Speaking on Credit to the Girls, Hosking heralded Richmond's revamped defence, which has added the likes of Eilish Sheerin, Libby Graham and Katelyn Cox, while the versatile Laura McClelland has found her feet at full-back.

Richmond conceded an average of 42.3 points last season, and is currently sitting at just 21.1.

"The girls have got a bit of a stingy backline going, and I love our backline group. We've spoken before that there's been a lot of girls who have come into the team who have never really had an AFLW opportunity or they've had an opportunity and they've been let go, or they've really had to work hard through injuries," Hosking said.

"Katelyn Cox is a great example. I absolutely love her, she (also) came from Seaford and didn't really have an AFLW opportunity for four years, and missed the draft, so to see her shining and just playing her role, she's such a small frame but does it so well.

"You've got Libby Graham who has come across from GWS and she was in and out of that side, and week in, week out, had that stress of 'Am I going to get picked or selected?' These girls are so hungry to play their role and play it well.

"I think it's been such a critical part of our success this year, the backline – they call themselves the 'stingy backline' – but they are, they're amazing and an amazing group of girls who are happy to do the one per cents to get us over the line."

LISTEN HERE: https://omny.fm/shows/credit-to-the-girls-an-aflw-podcast/will-richmonds-hot-girl-hot-streak-extend-to-8-win?in_playlist=podcast

EPISODE GUIDE

1:18 – Sarah Hosking joins the show

3:58 – Hamilton Island mid-season holiday

5:30 – The "hot girl hot streak"

9:12 – The role of coach Ryan Ferguson

11:55 – Watching on the sidelines while injured

14:55 – Injury watch on Courtney Wakefield and Eilish Sheerin

17:25 – Playing North Melbourne and a potential top-four spot

https://www.womens.afl/news/111820/listen-the-critical-part-of-tigers-success-deserving-of-more-credit

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFLW R10: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Arden St, Sun. Oct. 30
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 04:30:20 PM »
Nat Edwards says Sheerin and Wakefield are in "serious doubt" this week.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/860971/the-w-show-which-lion-can-cause-pies-most-pain-b-f-on-the-line

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2022, 06:13:49 AM »
RFC AFLW members pre-sale for finals tickets is on Monday, October 31 from 2pm.

https://twitter.com/kerrie_gardner/status/1585499147398172672

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2022, 03:11:22 PM »
North Melbourne v Richmond Preview

Gemma Bastiani
womens.afl
28 October 2022

This is arguably the most important game of the round, with the winner likely to finish in fourth spot with the double chance and the loser to progress to an elimination final. Richmond has never beaten North Melbourne in three matches, and the closest they have come is 19 points, but this time around the Tigers are on a seven-game winning streak and are heaving with confidence, albeit they may be without their leading goalkicker Courtney Wakefield due to a shoulder injury.

Richmond has worked to make games messy and chaotic this season and was the key to beating ladder leaders Brisbane in round five. In the past this would have been a disaster matchup for the Kangaroos, but this season they are better equipped than ever to win ugly, and are less reliant on clean, neat footy to get the job done. They have also been able to send quiet achiever Meg MacDonald to damaging midfield opponents to limit their impact, and she may get another job this weekend. Against whom, however, is the question with any of Jenna Bruton, Ashleigh Riddell, or Jasmine Garner viable options. The Roos are also likely to regain Ellie Gavalas who can impact both through the middle and up forward.

The game within the game will also be star midfielders Garner and Monique Conti going up against one another for the three votes in what may just decide the competition best and fairest winner come November.

Tip: The 'hot girl hot streak' will unfortunately come to an end. North Melbourne by eight points.

https://www.womens.afl/news/111824?_ga=2.104354565.429636630.1665890140-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2022, 09:06:45 PM »
Brisbane 5 goals up on the Pies at Half-time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘No regrets’: Tigers superstar Conti on why choosing AFLW over basketball was the right call

Marnie Vinall
The Age
October 28, 2022

This year, Richmond superstar Monique Conti put her basketball career on hold to focus solely on the AFLW - a move she says was “a really tough decision” but one she has no regrets with, especially with the Tigers on the cusp of their maiden finals campaign.

“It was probably the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make,” Conti told The Age. “There was just an opportunity there that I didn’t want to miss. Richmond were going places and I wanted to be a part of that journey.”

“I thought, you know, the best way to be a part of that was to fully focus on it, so I had to sort of put basketball aside.”

Conti, still only 22, has a decorated basketball resume, including a gold medal at the 2016 FIBA under-17 world championship, the WNBL rookie of the year award for her first season with the Boomers in 2017, and a WNBL championship with the Southside Flyers.

“I have no regrets [about choosing AFLW] because coming into the footy season with an actual preseason under my belt, I’ve never felt fitter. And I didn’t even know that I could reach the levels that I’ve reached individually, fitness wise and everything like that.

“So, it was tough, but I’m happy I made it.”

Conti also said the attractiveness of the AFLW was hard to ignore.

“It’s hard as well with the AFLW being so successful, and they market so well and it’s growing so fast and people are getting behind it. It’s really hard to say no to that.”

Conti credits her basketball background for helping develop her into the type of footballer she is.

“And you can probably see it in some of the other basketballers - the agility, the ability to get out of a tight space, and just the ball skills, that all comes from my basketball,” she said.

“They complement each other so well. So I’m really grateful that, you know, I’m also a basketballer because I think it really helps my football, and vice-versa of course.”

While Conti has dazzled the AFLW competition since her first season in 2018, this year she has elevated her game and become one of the best-known players in the league, with the likes of Carlton coach Daniel Harford saying she was “without a doubt” the best player in the competition right now, and Patrick Dangerfield claiming she could win the best and fairest.

The midfielder went into the year as a premiership player with the Western Bulldogs, a three-time All-Australian and four-time club best and fairest, one of those with the Bulldogs and three with the Tigers, and with a best on ground in the 2018 grand final already under her belt.

She’s been lauded this season, particular, as she’s averaged 21 disposals, 5.9 tackles and 4.1 clearances per game and has consistently been among Richmond’s best.

Now she’s about to play a pivotal role in the finals as part of Richmond’s elite midfield - alongside Grace Egan, Ellie McKenzie and Sarah Hosking - as they reach the season’s business end for the first time in competition history after entering the AFLW as an expansion side in 2020.

The Tigers didn’t register a win in their first season, and then in 2021 notched three wins and six losses. This season, however, they have claimed seven victories on the trot and are sitting in the box seat for fourth spot with one round of the home and away campaign to go.

If they beat fellow top eight side North Melbourne this Sunday, they’ll head into finals with a double chance and a shot at contending for the flag.

“It’s been a long time in the making, getting into a finals position, but it’s just sort of a reward for effort,” said Conti.

“It’s not easy trying to come into a comp against inaugural teams that have been there from the get-go - and then you’re trying to build something new. So, it is challenging but once you find that groove, and you find your stripes so to speak, you’ve got to just sort of stick with that.

“We have gotten to a position where we’re not just here to compete anymore. We’re not just here to scrape through and get wins. We’re here to win every single game and dominate, and play our way - play the Richmond way.

“Week in week out, we try and improve and we’re never content with whatever the result it may be, whether it is a win or a loss. We’re always really hungry to improve, and I think we really show that as a group.

“I think it’s really special for the club [making finals]...it’s been a really long journey.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-regrets-tigers-superstar-conti-on-why-choosing-aflw-over-basketball-was-the-right-call-20221024-p5bs9u.html

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 10:02:43 PM »

We’ll either finish 4th with a win and vs Brisbane in a qualifying final in Brisbane or 6th with a loss and vs Collingwood in an elimination final at punt rd oval I rekn.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2022, 09:46:48 AM »

We’ll either finish 4th with a win and vs Brisbane in a qualifying final in Brisbane or 6th with a loss and vs Collingwood in an elimination final at punt rd oval I rekn.

Has me doing this  :huh3

Wondering which is the best result tomorrow for us?

Win give us a double chance which is grewt but most people won't get to see out first final which is so disappointing for those who have followed from the start

Lose and we get a home final or at least a final in Melbourne but no double chance

NB: TK we lose I reckon we finish 5th higher % than the Pies. But then again all depends on what Geelong does ...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2022, 01:46:48 PM »
Yeah I’ve assumed if we lose then Geelong we make up the 10% gap (especially since they play Sydney) and we’ll finish 6th.

Always better to be top4, we’ll get more garaunteed games and a home final in week 2/3.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2022, 04:54:16 PM »
Adelaide came from behind at HT to beat St Kilda.

So, the highest (realistically) we can finish is 4th and lowest is 6th.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2022, 05:36:31 PM »
In: Poppy Kelly, Maddy Brancatisano

Out: Sarah Hosking (ilness), Jemima Woods (illness)

----------------------------------------------

Richmond AFLW team

B:    Laura McClelland         Libby Graham           Bec Miller

HB:                  Eilish Sheerin              Katelyn Cox

C:       Tessa Lavey            Ellie McKenzie         Maddy Brancatisano

HF:      Katie Brennan         Jess Hosking            Megan Kiely

F:               Courtney Wakefield             Stella Reid

R:     Gabby Seymour        Monique Conti           Grace Egan

Int:  Kate Dempsey     Poppy Kelly      Meg Macdonald       Emelia Yassir       Bethany Lynch

Emg:  Sophie Molan      Kodi Jacques       Sarah D'Arcy

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1242312/kelly-returns-to-face-roos/

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2022, 07:13:54 PM »
Rest Brennan and go for 6th.  I'd rather bypass Brisbane at the Gabba in week 1.  We get shafted by the umpires up there every time in finals!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2022, 04:50:48 AM »
Geelong flogged Sydney to jump above us on %. So, we'll either now finish 4th or 6th.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2022, 03:11:32 PM »
Bump. About to start.

TV Broadcast: 7mate

Live stream: https://www.womens.afl/match-centre/2022/4733/nmfc-v-rich

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2022, 03:13:01 PM »
MacDonald to Brennan 40 out. Long kick just misses to the left.

1 - 0