Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 555441 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1305 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
EFC has released a statement on twitter, saying Hird won't be standing down

@justinrodski: Reports @Essendon_FC coach James Hird will stand down are NOT true - I repeat, James Hird is not standing down

Justin Rodski is the EFC media manager

Can James reinact the final scene from wickerman?

:bow

:lol And just to rub salt into their wounds, the bombers would receive a hefty air pollution fine from the EPA.

dwaino

« Reply #1306 on: August 08, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
I reckon he has been asked to step down. But just like they'll contest being removed from the finals, they're contesting Hird losing his job. They would rather further tarnish their brand and ruin footy for everything else than anything untoward happen to their golden flog. Carpe diem baby.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1307 on: August 08, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »
The AFL Players Association says it cannot guarantee Essendon players will be free to play in the AFL finals, but said it is encouraged by ASADA's interim report.

Players' Association chief executive Matt Finnis refused to assure the future of any Essendon player possibly involved in the supplements program, including former Bomber Angus Monfries.

Finnis also said he had not given any assurances that Monfries, now with Port Adelaide, nor any Essendon player will escape penalty from Essendon's supplements scandal.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-08/afl-offering-no-guarantees-that-essendon-players-will-b-free-fo/4873610

James Hird says he is yet to see a copy of ASADA's 400-page interim report into last year's supplements program at Essendon but is adamant he will not resign from the club.

Hird offered a stern "no" when asked by reporters outside his home on Thursday if he would resign.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-08/hird-yet-to-see-asada-report

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1308 on: August 08, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Essendon punished as early as tomorrow: Report

Posted by: 3AW Radio | 8 August, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Essendon is reportedly set to be stripped of premiership points, hit with a massive fine and deprived of crucial draft picks in the wake of the ASADA inquiry into the club's supplements regime.

3AW Breakfast host Ross Stevenson told the Neil Mitchell program this morning a punishment could be handed down by as early as tomorrow.

"It's been very strongly suggested to me that the AFL has determined what Essendon Football Club's penalties are and that the notifications of the penalties might go out as early as tomorrow," Ross Stevenson said.

"It involved fines, loss of premiership points and loss of draft picks.

"I don't know what the situation is relating to any individuals, but that is what has been very strongly suggested to me, and I believe it's true."

Ross Stevenson last week correctly reported the ASADA report would be handed to the AFL last Friday.

He has also reported that the AFL has budgeted for $5 million in legal fees.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/essendon-punished-as-early-as-tomorrow-report/20130808-2rhnc.html

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1309 on: August 08, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
Enough points to take them out of Finals contention?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1310 on: August 08, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »

If they are going to take away points you'd assume it would be all of the them for season 2014 = all their current points and they get no more points for the rest of the season no matter what their reuslts "ala" Melbourne Storm a few years back

Hit 'em hard AFL, hit them hard  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1311 on: August 08, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
I reckon he has been asked to step down. But just like they'll contest being removed from the finals, they're contesting Hird losing his job. They would rather further tarnish their brand and ruin footy for everything else than anything untoward happen to their golden flog. Carpe diem baby.

Evans told Mr turd to step down before the game in WA - r5 i think
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:18:52 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1312 on: August 08, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

If they are going to take away points you'd assume it would be all of the them for season 2014 = all their current points and they get no more points for the rest of the season no matter what their reuslts "ala" Melbourne Storm a few years back

Hit 'em hard AFL, hit them hard  ;D

WP, you think its likely they will be stripped of pts for 2013 and not beyond. i think this is very likely and a farce if it does happen.

Penalty must include 2014 IMV for it to be truly seen as a punishment.

look at what the Blues copped and correct me if im wrong but werent the bombers also rorting the cap so this is a second time offence of bringing the game into disrepute.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1313 on: August 08, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
WP, you think its likely they will be stripped of pts for 2013 and not beyond. i think this is very likely and a farce if it does happen.

look at what the Blues copped and correct me if im wrong but werent the bombers also rorting the cap so this is a second time offence of bringing the game into disrepute.

Firstly, great to see you coming around to the realisation the Bombers are going to cop a whack  :thumbsup :thumbsup I always said they would  ;D

Salary cap rorting unfortunately is not captured under the wonderful charge of "bringing the game into disrepute". That is a stand alone offence. And yes the bombers were penalised for that before the Blues but because their rorting wasn't to the level of the Blues the punishment was not as severe.

Personally I can only see them getting stripped of their points for this season, not saying it's enough points wise but that's what I reckon will happen.

If you take away the points and that's the only punishment then it definitely isn't harsh enough but seeing they are likely to be fined and stripped of draft picks then punishment becomes harsher.

Any fine impacts on them because they are paying for that facility out at the airport. Coupled with the fact they could well lose sponsors over this and again the punishment becomes harsher. Don't lose sight of the fact of the "indirects" and that will impact on them

For mine it the draft picks that is a key now. Exclude them for say round 1 & 2 of this years draft only then that's weak. The draft side of things must be over at a minimum 2 season and be for both 1st & 2nd round

I think I posted a few weeks back that my penalties would be

- lose all 2013 points

- $2 million fine but I am upping that to $4mil now & it is payable by 31 October to distributed to all clubs (approx $235k ea) for their footy departments to spend

- Excluded from the 1st & 2nd rounds of the 2013 & 2014 National Draft

- Exclusion from the F?A period this year and if any of their players walk their compo picks can only be 3rd or 4th rd picks

- Hird to be suspended from the game for a least 12 months

All of those and I reckon it hits them hard - especially the last one  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1314 on: August 08, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
#standbyBakerMcKenzie

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1315 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »

Firstly, great to see you coming around to the realisation the Bombers are going to cop a whack  :thumbsup :thumbsup I always said they would  ;D

Salary cap rorting unfortunately is not captured under the wonderful charge of "bringing the game into disrepute". That is a stand alone offence. And yes the bombers were penalised for that before the Blues but because their rorting wasn't to the level of the Blues the punishment was not as severe.

Personally I can only see them getting stripped of their points for this season, not saying it's enough points wise but that's what I reckon will happen.

If you take away the points and that's the only punishment then it definitely isn't harsh enough but seeing they are likely to be fined and stripped of draft picks then punishment becomes harsher.

Any fine impacts on them because they are paying for that facility out at the airport. Coupled with the fact they could well lose sponsors over this and again the punishment becomes harsher. Don't lose sight of the fact of the "indirects" and that will impact on them

For mine it the draft picks that is a key now. Exclude them for say round 1 & 2 of this years draft only then that's weak. The draft side of things must be over at a minimum 2 season and be for both 1st & 2nd round

I think I posted a few weeks back that my penalties would be

- lose all 2013 points

- $2 million fine but I am upping that to $4mil now & it is payable by 31 October to distributed to all clubs (approx $235k ea) for their footy departments to spend

- Excluded from the 1st & 2nd rounds of the 2013 & 2014 National Draft

- Exclusion from the F?A period this year and if any of their players walk their compo picks can only be 3rd or 4th rd picks

- Hird to be suspended from the game for a least 12 months

All of those and I reckon it hits them hard - especially the last one  ;D
What about their players?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1316 on: August 08, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
2 years bans

if its good enough for Travis Casserly and Justin Charles...

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #1317 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
Crash and Burn Essendon ...

Crash and Burn ...

:gotigers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1318 on: August 08, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »

I wasn't asked about the players I was asked about Essendon which I answered

As for the players I don't believe they will be suspended/banned.

Again not saying I agree with that (I don't) but IMV they will not get banned.

I believe each of them who took the banned stuff (and that isn't all of them from what's been reported) should at a minimum be issued with infraction notices without penalties being imposed. Again IMV that's not good enough but at least if that was to happen their records would show they took banned substances eg ADO - whatever it is...

Personal view is they should all cop a suspension of at least 12-16 weeks (12-16 H&A games) for blatant stupidity and blind faith in going along with this stupid program. There isn't a doubt in my mind that if anyone else had of been coach of the EFC and did this (1) the players would have arked up and said NO and (2) the Club wouldn't have approved it

2 years bans

if its good enough for Travis Casserly and Justin Charles...

Justin Charles got 16 weeks not 2 years

Casserley got what he deserved for the very reason Essendon players should cop bans STUPIDITY

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1319 on: August 08, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »

I wasn't asked about the players I was asked about Essendon which I answered

Can I not ask additional questions or am I to far below you as you are a mod?