Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 555441 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1590 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
Hate to say but looks like the only way the afl will win IS If they drag it on and on and on....... until essendon is reduced to financial desolation. Battles are short but wars are long and the dollar is king.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1591 on: August 16, 2013, 04:29:15 AM »
Essendon warned about anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 at crisis meeting in February

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-warned-about-anti-obesity-drug-aod-9604-at-crisis-meeting-in-february/story-fndv8gad-1226698058586?from=trendinglinks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essendon captain Jobe Watson has been warned not to antagonise ASADA after he agreed to put his name to a club-penned statement which said the Bombers players felt "fully vindicated" after the AFL announced it would not yet be charging them with prohibited drug violations.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jobe-watson-warned-over-asada-20130815-2rzn6.html#ixzz2c3wsXqRJ

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairfax Media has learnt that the letter issued by the AFL's solicitors after Hird was charged on Tuesday asserts that the coach was injected with tanning drug Melanotan II - a substance that also claims to keep users thin and boost libido. But no such assertion is made about Hexarelin, a peptide prohibited for use by athletes in World Anti-Doping Agency-compliant sports.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/hexarelin-not-among-hird-charges-20130815-2rzm8.html#ixzz2c40NHVKC

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Essendon doctor Bruce Reid kept in the dark over injections

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-doctor-bruce-reid-kept-in-the-dark-over-injections/story-fnca0u4y-1226698058347

----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE AFL on Tuesday gave Bruce Reid a devil's choice: retire as Essendon's club doctor or be publicly accused, among other things, of allowing footballers under your care to be administered with a banned substance.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/bruce-reids-angry-rebuff-to-retirement-offer/story-fnca0u4y-1226698064909

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1592 on: August 16, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
nd the equally concerning claim that some sort of a sports science experiment had been conducted at Essendon was too plausible to be ignored. Whether we will ever know the full details or not, it’s clear that something went badly wrong.

When the AFL sits down to consider the extent to which Essendon officials brought the game into disrepute, I hope they will consider the wider ethical implications of what has occurred.

In many regards, the issue of whether the Essendon players received a boost from the program is irrelevant. The reality is we don’t know whether AOD-9064, thymosin beta-4 or CJC-1295 enhances performance.

The chances are that they don’t work, or if they do, we don’t know whether it’s purely down to the placebo effect. But that’s not the point.

Those who prescribed the drug and those who condoned its use neither had evidence for its safety nor its efficacy. The clinical trials of AOD-9064 only established that it was an inefficient anti-obesity drug. And that was within bounds that appear to have been fantastically exceeded in the Essendon program.

The bottom line is that due to a lack of evidence, no-one could be sure whether it was safe to administer AOD-9064 in large quantities to a group of fit young footballers. Neither could anyone predict the outcome.

http://theconversation.com/human-experimentation-and-ethics-at-essendon-football-club-15550
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:31:00 AM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1593 on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »

ESSENDON players were to receive 1500 injections of AOD-9604 and Thymosin, according to an AFL charging document seen by the Herald Sun. The document also states more than 16,500 doses of Colostrum and 8000 doses of Tribulus were planned. The revelations come as lawyers for Essendon and club officials James Hird, Mark Thompson, Dr ...

http://www.newsfiber.com/p/s/h?v=EZ2J4N89snbw%3D+ujqBnPUNs0k%3D

[Tribulus terrestris is a flowering plant in the family Zygophyllaceae, native to warm temperate and tropical regions of the Old World in southern Europe, southern Asia, throughout Africa, and Australia.[2] It can thrive even in desert climates and poor soil. Like many weedy species, this plant has many common names, including bindii,[3] bullhead,[4] burra gokharu, caltrop,[1] cat's head,[1][3] devil's eyelashes,[5] devil's thorn,[1][5] devil's weed,[1] goathead,[1] puncturevine,[1] and tackweed.[6]

. terrestris has been shown to enhance sexual behavior in an animal model.[15] It appears to do so by stimulating androgen receptors in the brain.T. terrestris is now being promoted as a booster for the purpose of increasing sex drive. Its use for this purpose originated from a Bulgarian study conducted in the 1970s, which found effects on free testosterone and luteinizing hormone in men belonging to infertile couples.[citation needed] A research review conducted in 2000 stated that the lack of data outside of this study prevents generalizing to healthy individuals [16]
Animal studies in rats, rabbits and primates have demonstrated that administration of Tribulus terrestris extract can produce statistically significant increases in levels of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone,[17] and produces effects suggestive of aphrodisiac activity.[15] On the other hand, one recent study found that T. terrestris caused no increase in testosterone or LH in young men,[18] and another found that a commercial supplement containing androstenedione and herbal extracts, including T. terrestris, was no more effective at raising testosterone levels than androstenedione alone.[19]
The active chemical in T. terrestris is likely to be protodioscin (PTN).[20] In a study with mice, T. terrestris was shown to enhance mounting activity and erection better than testosterone cypionate;[citation needed] however, testosterone cypionate is a synthetic ester of testosterone engineered for its longer activity, rather than an immediate effect. Testosterone cypionate has a half-life of 8 days and is administered every 2–4 weeks in humans for testosterone replacement.[21] The proerectile aphrodisiac properties were concluded to likely be due to the release of nitric oxide from the nerve endings innervating the corpus cavernosum penis.[citation needed] Also, T. terrestris was shown to have strong inhibitory activity on COX-2.[22]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

Colostrum (also known colloquially as beestings,[1] bisnings[2] or first milk) is a form of milk produced by the mammary glands of mammals (including humans) in late pregnancy. Most species will generate colostrum just prior to giving birth. Colostrum contains antibodies to protect the newborn against disease, as well as being lower in fat[3] and higher in protein than ordinary milk.

ome athletes have used colostrum in an attempt to improve their performance[31] decrease recovery time,[32] and prevent sickness during peak performance levels.[33][34] Thus, supplementation with bovine colostrum (20 g/d) in combination with exercise training for 8 wk may increase bone-free lean body mass in active men and women.[31][35]
Low IGF-1 levels may be associated with dementia in the very elderly, although causation has not been established.[36] People with eating disorders also have low levels of IGF-1 due to malnutrition,[37] as do obese individuals.[38] Supplementation with colostrum, which is rich in IGF-1, can be a useful part of a weight reduction program.[citation needed] Although IGF-1 is not absorbed intact by the body, it does stimulate the production of IGF-1 when taken as a supplement.[39]
Colostrum also has antioxidant components, such as lactoferrin[40] and hemopexin, which binds free heme in the body.[41]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum#Hyperimmune_colostrum

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8707161

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1594 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
Detailed charges imminent: Demetriou
By Ben Guthrie8:04am AEST Friday, August 16, 2013

Newsletter
RSS
RELATED

Full coverage of the Essendon supplement scandal
THE AFL hopes to make the specifics of the charges levelled against Essendon public in the next couple of days.

League chief Andrew Demetriou said it was in the best interests of the game to make the charges against Essendon, coach James Hird, club doctor Bruce Reid, football manager Danny Corcoran and senior assistant Mark Thompson available to the public.

Click here for our full coverage of the Essendon supplement scandal

"It's our intention to get the charges out in the public domain so that the people understand what lays behind the charges and the particulars of the charges," Demetriou told 774 ABC radio on Friday morning.

"Hopefully we'll do that in the coming days, because I think that it's important and it will answer a lot of questions."

The Bombers and the four officials will face an AFL commission hearing on August 26.

The whole thing is laughable: Dank

Despite the prospect of lengthy legal battles preceding that date, Demetriou said he hoped the issue would be finalised then and there.

Hird 'shattered' by charges

"I hope so. As we sit here, we're of the understanding that that hearing is to go ahead," Demetriou said.

"I hope it is for the game. These are serious changes. Our obligation is to protect the integrity of the game."

"I would hope we would try to get it resolved, for the sake of the game."

Demetriou said it was his intention to sit on the Commission's board later this month, despite a perceived conflict of interest.

"I don't think [there is a conflict of interest] and that will be up to advice from lawyers," he said.

"I don't see any reason why I'm conflicted," he said.

The League boss also corrected claims that the interim ASADA report could not be used at the hearing.

He said the plan was to refer to ASADA's report in the hearing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-16/more-charges-imminent

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1595 on: August 16, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
If these drug taking idiots stuff up this finals series for us there will be a strong chance they'll  overtake the cheating scum as my most hated team.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1596 on: August 16, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »
If they play and win in the first week of finals,  they will become the most hated team in AFL history.
Especially if they are proven to be guilty.
The eliminated club would be absolutely ropeable.
17 clubs and their supporters will have hatred in their hearts.  >:(

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1597 on: August 16, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
Haha

Emergency Essendon meeting planned as players' health fears grow

August 16, 2013 - 11:50AM

Essendon has called another emergency meeting of parents and partners of the club's playing group in the wake of the latest drug revelations surrounding the Bombers.
The club is facing a backlash from concerned families of players – particularly from a number of partners who have become pregnant over the past two seasons.
According to a former senior club figure, a number of players have kept some of their medical records – including blood tests – and are now seeking independent medical advice.

"I know of several players who have taken blood tests outside of the club in the past few months," said the individual, who has been closely involved with Essendon for more than a decade.

"One player has a had a fertility test, a sperm count, and that will be monitored over coming years. The players are concerned with reports that some of the substances that have been given to them may impact their fertility in the next five, 10 or even 15 years from now."
The meeting – to be held at Windy Hill at 6pm on Tuesday – follows a Fairfax Media report that club officials have been unable to tell either their players or ASADA exactly what

drugs they were given when they were injected with a substance bought overseas by a Melbourne man suffering from muscular dystrophy.
It is believed the club will tell concerned parents the mystery drug was sourced from New Mexico, not Mexico, as reported.
The club cannot, however establish exactly what was injected and whether there are long-term health concerns or the substance illegal for use in sport.
The email sent to the families of past and present players states: "The club executive would like to welcome back parents, partners and players from the 2012-2013 season."
It also states: "We are once again seeking your support in recognising the importance of keeping this meeting confidential."
It has been widely reported that a number of Essendon players were "shaken" after their initial ASADA interviews, during which some were told of potential long-term health impacts, including infertility and possible birth defects in children.
With a number of players now keeping private medical records, Essendon faces the possibility of future legal action from the playing group if such health impacts materialise.
"There are a lot of questions from some very angry and upset family members that need to be answered," said one individual, who allowed Fairfax to read the club email. "This is the real human tragedy that may emerge from all this."
Fairfax Media has also learned that a group of former club players and officials is considering calling an extraordinary general meeting of members to vote on a spill of the club's board.
It believed that the signatures of 100 members are needed to call the EGM.
"It's very difficult at Essendon," said the former senior official. "A very small selection of coterie groups actually controls the club and the board as many regular members never vote.
"We would need the support of a very large number of everyday members to bring some real change to the place, and take it out of the control of the hands of a very small number of people who are the powerbrokers at the club."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essendon-bombers/emergency-essendon-meeting-planned-as-players-health-fears-grow-20130816-2s0y5.html#ixzz2c5t0kGcg

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1598 on: August 16, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »
But they're innocent  :banghead

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1599 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
17 clubs and their supporters will have hatred in their hearts.  >:(

Think a number already do

Most clubs are not happy with what the Bombers are doing.

They are treating the entire competition with contempt.

Which means by extension they are treating all the other clubs, players and as importantly the fans with utter contempt

Any ounce of respect I had for the EFC and its players is now completely gone

They are quite frankly an absolute disgrace and blight on this game that I love
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1600 on: August 16, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
Anyone know if the AFL can just take essendons licence away?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1601 on: August 16, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
i think they do have that power, but what it entails to actually achieve i dont know.

I also doubt it would happen, as the TV deal is based on certain amount of games.

InB4 "bendigo bombers"

Don't be stupid!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1602 on: August 16, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5saOSQ-963Y

2013.08.14 - AFL 360 - Essendon ASADA Investigation

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1603 on: August 16, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »
Fairfax Media has also learned that a group of former club players and officials is considering calling an extraordinary general meeting of members to vote on a spill of the club's board.
It believed that the signatures of 100 members are needed to call the EGM.
"It's very difficult at Essendon," said the former senior official. "A very small selection of coterie groups actually controls the club and the board as many regular members never vote.
"We would need the support of a very large number of everyday members to bring some real change to the place, and take it out of the control of the hands of a very small number of people who are the powerbrokers at the club."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...players-health-fears-grow-20130816-2s0y5.htm
l

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1604 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »
i think they do have that power, but what it entails to actually achieve i dont know.

I also doubt it would happen, as the TV deal is based on certain amount of games.

InB4 "bendigo bombers"

Don't be stupid!
Tassie. Get it done AFL.  :clapping