Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 555467 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #2925 on: September 20, 2014, 03:42:46 AM »
:facepalm  ::)

Essendon figures last night said the club’s high-powered legal team believed it had strong grounds to appeal.

“It’s not over yet,” one official said.

The Bombers have until October 9 to lodge an appeal, but face mounting public pressure to accept the court’s decision.

A club board meeting on Thursday night galvanised the Essendon view that the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority will struggle to make its doping charges stick against the 34 players issued with show-cause notices in June.

Former Hawthorn president and Victorian premier Jeff Kennett last night called for the entire Essendon board to resign. Mr Kennett said he expected the board to be rolled at this year’s general meeting anyway. Kennett has also questioned James Hird’s ability to remain as senior coach.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-players-may-miss-afl-premiership-matches-after-federal-court-challenges-into-asadaafl-investigation-failed/story-fnelctok-1227064741039
http://www.news.com.au/national/essendon-likely-to-fight-on-after-losing-federal-court-case/story-e6frfkp9-1227064381035

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2926 on: September 20, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
Voted most liked responses to Slobbo's articles. Seems the public has had a gutful (some brutal gems here lads):-

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/james-hirds-fate-in-hands-of-players-after-federal-court-failure/story-fnp04d70-1227064597571

Top Comment
i'm not a Bombers fan, but what this club has done to its faithfull, and continues to do is nothing short of beligerence. They (Hird and Little) have dug a hole so deep and so dark that not even the sun shining out of Hirds proverbial can be seen. Stop digging the hole. Face up to it. Leave and.let those who truly love their club salvage what is left so that their children's children will have a team to support.  :clapping

Silver Medal (as previously posted)
Can the last person to leave Windy Hill please turn out the lights. Goodnight Bombers....

Bronze
I can't believe Hird's continued arrogance. Hasn't he ever heard about taking one for the team ? I'm afraid its all become just about saving his tarnished image and clinging to a place in the AFL Hall of Fame. It now doesn't matter whether the Bombers are guilty or not. The whole process is killing the club. So what if Hird thinks he's innocent and will have his reputation sullied ? It's not as if he's fighting a life sentence in jail. So he can't coach his beloved Bombers. Big deal Hird, just walk away and let your club pick up the pieces. He's owes it to the red and black faithful. After all he can always play the martyr card in the years to come if his ego gets too bruised  :thumbsup

Honourable Mentions
@Rose You can be gobsmacked all you like Rose, but the simple fact of the matter is you've constantly bought into the Hird/Little PR machine without having a clue about the truth and now you've got it, you still want to hide behind your ongoing conspiracy theory. 

As Kenny Rogers profoundly expressed, "you've got to know when to hold 'Em, know when to fold em". James and the bombers are holding a pair of 2s - for the good of the players, the club and the supporters, "know when to walk away James"  :yep

Obviously the French didn't teach James anything about the virtues of a quick surrender  ;D

I think the important thing to remember about this whole saga is that in spite of all the stress and strain James has always dressed impeccably. And most importantly,his hair has remained perfect.  :lol

Robbo,you and Michael Warner have clearly backed the wrong horse with this one.
Finally, time to remove your red and black blinkers.
You should be calling on Hird and Little to resign immediately, nothing less.
Any other club, Robbo, you would be putting the boots in and calling their lot untenable.  :clapping

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2927 on: September 20, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »
"Bombers coach James Hird leaves for San Francisco this morning to complete an international business course as club chiefs consider appealing yesterday’s stunning verdict by Justice John Middleton".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...stigation-failed/story-fni5f22o-1227064741039

"I believe that if show cause notices are issued to current or former Essendon players by ASADA this would give rise to immeasurable and irremediable damage to my reputation, my earning capacity as an AFL coach and my business interests external to Essendon and the AFL". James Hird

My
My
My
Me
Me

:sleep

I really don't think this cat can g his head around the situation probably due to god complex.

It doesn't work as follows ->. Drug cheating - get in trouble - get off due to drug cheating consequences are unfortunate in regards. To ones reputation"

That line about the head being far up the bum, and enjoying the view is accurate.

The level of delusion is wonderous. I Lala land wit wp

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2928 on: September 20, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-09-19/club-statement

Essendon Football Club is understandably disappointed at todays Federal Court decision.

Before deciding the next steps, we will consider the reasons for the final judgement, including whether or not to appeal this decision.

In taking these proceedings, our priority has been to protect and vindicate the legal rights and interests of the players.

The Club maintains its confidence that, on all the evidence available to us, neither harmful nor banned substances were given to the players during the supplements program of 2012.

Out of respect for the competition and the Clubs still competing this season, it is not our intention to provide any further commentary on this matter beyond today’s statement.

:clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2929 on: September 20, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
Top Comment
i'm not a Bombers fan, but what this club has done to its faithfull, and continues to do is nothing short of beligerence. They (Hird and Little) have dug a hole so deep and so dark that not even the sun shining out of Hirds proverbial can be seen. Stop digging the hole. Face up to it. Leave and.let those who truly love their club salvage what is left so that their children's children will have a team to support.  :clapping

Think that sums up how most rational, clear thinking folk feel.

Robbo's says it's "in the players hands" now. He always seems to forget or just refuses to accept that there is a 3rd party who can help with ending this mess and it's Mr James "they bullied me, I only coach the team, It's not my fault, I'll throw anyone under a bus if it will somehow save my bacon" Hird.

He could (if understood what it meant) do the honourable thing and quit.

He could for once put his footy club and its players which he supposedly loves ahead of his himself and his over inflated ego and leave the place in order for it to salvage something

But no, Jimmy will hold on, continue to blame every man and his dog for what happened.

It now seems obvious that his main goal is to become the most despised person in the history of the game. Because that is what he will become if he isn't already. While he & the EFC continue on their non apologetic course of self destruction the entire competition continues to be battered from pillar to post and they don't care

Why? Because outside of not caring about anything or anyone other than themselves they simply just don't get it 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #2930 on: September 20, 2014, 11:12:46 AM »
Regardless of what happens from here - this will taint them for a generation or two - absolute scum club and would not be sad to see them go under

Gigantor

« Reply #2931 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:47 AM »
If you really thought you were innocent of something wouldn't you fight it till the end.Maybe James really truly believes he is innocent(I personally think like many here that the dons should just shut ,cop their whack and move on)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2932 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
Tasmainia fc

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2933 on: September 20, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
If you really thought you were innocent of something wouldn't you fight it till the end.Maybe James really truly believes he is innocent(I personally think like many here that the dons should just shut ,cop their whack and move on)
If you thought you where innocent you would fight it in the appropriate way, not try to get off on a r technicality. The club should fight it at the ADRVP with evidence they did in fact take non banned substances.  The only thing that will save them is if ASADA's evidence is too flimsy but I doubt that will happen.
They have wasted so much money - their poor old member's money - on chasing a non existent loophole.  All to save King James.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2934 on: September 20, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
when the three month bans were handed to the cronulla players i caught the arse end of a press conference where the rep from ASADA was asked if a similar deal was on the table for essendon at this time, and he emphatically replied in the negative
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2935 on: September 20, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
when the three month bans were handed to the cronulla players i caught the arse end of a press conference where the rep from ASADA was asked if a similar deal was on the table for essendon at this time, and he emphatically replied in the negative
I'm a Cronulla fan and yet I haven't followed it all that closely but I was under the impression Cronulla co-operated. Essendon on the other hand have taken it to court and will likely fight the show cause notices.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2936 on: September 20, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »

That's a little naive, Gigs.

If you really thought you were guilty and your professional career would be over for ever and you were a spoilt ponce who has never gone without a thing in  his life - wouldn't you fight it till the end   ???
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2937 on: September 20, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »
Regardless of what happens from here - this will taint them for a generation or two - absolute scum club and would not be sad to see them go under

Agreed. 15 years or so after the salary cap breaches at Carlton and I reckon the image of the club still hasn't fully recovered. In fact there remains an image of shifty doings and shifty supporters.

What has happened at Essendon is definitely worse. It will take till 2030 and beyond to shake this and even longer if they keep fighting the bad fight.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2938 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:05 PM »
Robbo: Dons and Hird to appeal
Joshua Papanikolaou
SEN
September 20, 2014

Mark Robinson has told SEN that Essendon and coach James Hird will be formally appealing Justice John Middleton’s verdict that the AFL/ASADA investigation into the supplement saga was lawful.

“I honestly believe it’s not over.

“I am told Essendon and James Hird will be appealing the court case after the Grand Final,” Robinson said on SEN’s Crunch Time.

However, when asked if he thought Hird was likely to coach next year, given at least one Bomber is looking to leave and the court case has been lost, the chief football writer for the Herald Sun acknowledged the coach’s future at Essendon did not look good.

“No, no I don’t think he can (coach next year).

“I think players are going to roll, they don’t want another two years of this, I think they will take penalties and if that happens Hird can’t coach.”

The news also comes on the back of reports that ruckman Paddy Ryder has told the club he wants to leave.

Furthermore, fellow radio host Michael Voss pointed out that if Ryder forces a trade then that should be viewed as a similar consequence to a show-cause notice or the player taking a deal.

“Because of this situation he is leaving the football club, it’s not a show-cause notice, but he’s actually leaving because of those reasons.”

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Robbo-Dons-and-Hird-to-appeal/71543

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2939 on: September 20, 2014, 11:20:42 PM »
Oh Robbo, what now of your poor fallen hero?

If only as (somehow) chief football writer you hadn't worn your heart on your sleeve and critiqued your boyhood club as fairly as you would have any other.

Now, barely able to string a coherent sentence together the last of your unstructured credibility dissolves into mere nothingness, then resentment.

You will be remembered as a key PR party to this whole mess. You bought in to the BS. You can only blame yourself
"Sliding doors moment.