Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 555449 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #3075 on: October 08, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »
Port Adelaide has urged its star small forward Angus Monfries to break away from the Essendon-funded legal defence as the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority moves towards reissuing show-cause notices to the 34 players facing bans as a result of the Bombers' 2012 supplements program.

With Port Adelaide's lawyers in constant communication with the AFL Players Association's legal team, Port has told Monfries it will foot all his legal bills should he choose to strike a deal with ASADA or fight to clear his name.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/angus-monfries-urged-to-split-from-essendonfunded-legal-defence-20141008-113bfl.html#ixzz3FYQLoBjB

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #3076 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »
With Port Adelaide's lawyers in constant communication with the AFL Players Association's legal team, Port has told Monfries it will foot all his legal bills should he choose to strike a deal with ASADA or fight to clear his name.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/angus-monfries-urged-to-split-from-essendonfunded-legal-defence-20141008-113bfl.html#ixzz3FYQLoBjB

That's nice of Port to offer to pay Monfries' legal fees, however if he admits to guilt and takes a plea, then I hope that money is included in Port's salary cap, otherwise it is payment in kind. Other clubs are not allowed to pay legal fees for players when they commit offences, unless they declare it, so I can't see how this is any different.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3077 on: October 09, 2014, 07:04:38 AM »

That's nice of Port to offer to pay Monfries' legal fees, however if he admits to guilt and takes a plea, then I hope that money is included in Port's salary cap, otherwise it is payment in kind. Other clubs are not allowed to pay legal fees for players when they commit offences, unless they declare it, so I can't see how this is any different.

Agree but IIRC the AFL commission have given special permission to say that in this ADASA case legal fees will be exempt under the cap

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3078 on: October 09, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Good to see clubs actively taking on Essendon now. The bombers don't care that they have held the integrity of the competition to ransom for 2 years and the game playing re trades is the last straw that has peeed other clubs off.

Port have opened the flood gates with the public Monfries advice and encouraging Ryder to leave on breach of contract.

I congratulate Port for taking the high moral ground. I hope that every other club with former or future players sticks it to them too.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3079 on: October 09, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »
Port are growing on me.  :'(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3080 on: October 09, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
Snip  :banghead

Let's keep the conversation out of the gutter, points can be made without gutter talk
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #3081 on: October 09, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »

Let's keep the conversation out of the gutter, points can be made without gutter talk

I thought it was humorous Im still laughing.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3082 on: October 09, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »

tony_montana

« Reply #3083 on: October 09, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »

I thought it was humorous Im still laughing.

I hate missing snips

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3084 on: October 09, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
It's interesting that Justice Kenny confirmed that ASADA will reissue the show cause notices in the week of October 13th.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3085 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »
Drug cheats in sport could benefit 'for decades', scientists find

By Tom Fordyce
Chief sports writer
Convicted dope cheats such as sprinter Justin Gatlin could still be benefiting from having taken banned substances long after their bans have expired.
Research by University of Oslo  scientists has established that muscles can retain the advantages given by anabolic steroids decades after the point at which they were taken.
The data casts another shadow over once-banned athletes such as controversial US athlete Gatlin, Tyson Gay - the second fastest man in history - and Britain's Dwain Chambers.
This summer, 32-year-old Gatlin ran the fastest ever 100m and 200m times by a man in his thirties despite twice having served suspensions.
The study has vast implications for the existing anti-doping system, where a first-time offender is unlikely to be suspended for more than two years and may well serve less than half that.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/29510575

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #3086 on: October 10, 2014, 12:45:55 AM »
It's interesting that Justice Kenny confirmed that ASADA will reissue the show cause notices in the week of October 13th.

ASADA cut a deal with WADA, Cronulla & NRL for off season suspensions only 2 days after the show cause notices were issued in the rugby.
They could probably do the same here, but may not feel inclined after the Fed court fiasco.
I think there will be an offer to the players though, and it will be too good to refuse for Monfries and Crameri, which will lead to a few tears from Essendon players before they accept their fate and take their off season suspension.
Essendon will then have legal grounds to sack Hird, and he will have to drop his federal court case against ASADA and take one out against Essendon instead  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Essendon ressies could line up in Round 1 if ASADA issues 34 doping bans (H-Sun)
« Reply #3087 on: October 10, 2014, 04:15:34 AM »
Essendon reserves could line up in Round 1 if ASADA issues 34 Bombers doping bans
Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
October 10, 2014

ESSENDON could be forced to ask the AFL Commission for extra recruits next year if a large group of Bombers are handed drug bans.

The AFL has contingency plans in place if as many as 20 current Essendon players are banned for the first month or more of the 2015 season.

It is accepted that almost all of Essendon’s stars are among those already handed show-cause notices, which could progress into drug bans.

The Bombers continue to state emphatically that no players took banned drugs, confident they will be cleared by an anti-doping tribunal in November.

The AFL refused to discuss those contingency plans on Thursday but it remains a possibility the Dons could be forced to play with a band of kids and rookies.

The Herald Sun understands the AFL would under no circumstances allow Essendon to hand-pick a group of quality VFL players to top up its list until its stars return.

But it is believed it might allow them to play all their rookies to ensure they play a full team.

And it could consider a move like letting players from Essendon’s VFL team to play some AFL games.

Widespread drug bans would almost certainly see Essendon get off to a winless first month of the season, a position it would be hard to come back from.

Essendon has recruited 14 primary listed players and four rookies since the disastrous 2012 season and has a handful of players who were not involved in the 2012 supplements program.

In all 34 Essendon players were handed show-cause notices, with 20 of them still at the club this year.

But by the time a handful of those players are moved on by Essendon and they go to the draft in November, potentially 23 or 24 of the list next year will be untouched by the saga plus rookies.

That means Essendon would be able to field a team if players were suspended, but senior players like David Zaharakis, Brendon Goddard and Paul Chapman would lead a bunch of 1-3 year players.

Zaharakis did not take part in the supplements program while Goddard and Chapman arrived after the 2012 season.

The only certainty is that the AFL would ensure Essendon continued playing rivals in next year’s fixture, with a scenario of the Dons not fielding a team totally unpalatable at AFL House.

Even if Essendon’s players were found guilty at an anti-doping tribunal they could face bans of six months that only included a month of football.

They might be banned from training with the Essendon players for a part of pre-season but seemingly would be back early in the year.

Essendon said it had not even considered a contingency plan, sure ASADA evidence they describe as “weak” and “circumstantial” will see their players cleared.

Five current Cronulla players are serving bans that saw them miss only the last three matches of the home-and-away season.

They are also ineligible for Four Nations tournament which starts next month.

ESSENDON PLAYERS NOT TOUCHED BY THE SUPPLEMENTS PROGRAM

B: Kurt Aylett, Sean Gregory, Will Hams

HB: Lachie Dalgleish, Ariel Steinberg, Elliott Kavanagh

C: Dylan van Unen, Zac Merrett, Shaun Edwards

HF: Martin Gleeson, Patrick Ambrose, Orazio Fantasia

F: Nick Kommer, Joe Daniher, Paul Chapman

R: Fraser Thurlow, Brendon Goddard, David Zaharakis,

Inter: Johnny Rayner, Conor McKenna, Jason Ashby, Jason Winderlich

* Most players assembled from past two trade, free agency and draft periods

* Essendon is chasing Gold Coast ruckman Daniel Gorringe and Port Adelaide backman Cam O’Shea.

* Elliott Kavanagh and Jason Winderlich have requested trades

CURRENT PICKS IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT

Have pick No.21 as part of AFL penalties

Could get pick No.17 from Port Adelaide

Then picks 53, 71, 89

http://www.news.com.au/national/essendon-reserves-could-line-up-in-round-1-if-asada-issues-34-bombers-doping-bans/story-e6frfkp9-1227085724242

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Paddy Ryder feared for his unborn son during Dons’ drug saga (H-Sun)
« Reply #3088 on: October 10, 2014, 04:19:19 AM »
Bomber Paddy Ryder feared for his unborn son during Dons’ drug saga

Scott Gullan
Herald-Sun
October 10, 2014

ESSENDON champion Paddy Ryder has revealed he feared for the life of his unborn son at the height of the Bombers’ drugs scandal.

The ruckman opened up on his 20-month ordeal as one of 34 Dons accused of doping.

“I can’t really put into words the amount of worrying and stress that we were both under, hoping that our son, Harlan, was going to be OK,” he said yesterday.

Ryder revealed he felt the club had let him down throughout the footy crisis.

“It just put so much stress on my partner and my family, it’s something that we couldn’t hide from. The only place I could really hide was on the footy field,” he said.

“At first we were really scared (about Harlan). What has panned out over a long period of time is that we felt badly let down by the club and lost trust and faith.”

When the supplements program began, Ryder recalled: “We were told it was going to be good for our footy.”

He’s now desperate to leave Essendon for Port Adelaide and a fresh start with partner Jess McDonald, whom he’ll marry on Caulfield Cup weekend, and their children, Liliana, 4, and Harlan, 11 months.

Ryder revealed there were times during games over the past two seasons where his mind would be consumed about the fears for his son.

During his interview with ASADA last year, Ryder was informed that there was ­potential for serious complications with his then unborn child because of the club’s supplements program.

“It was just a lot of worrying, a lot of time where it just consumed you during the day,” he said. “We just tried to get ourselves through this time as best we could.

“To this day Jess still worries. We’ve had discussions with (Essendon doctor) Doc Reid, he says everything is clear. But going through all that uncertainty, it doesn’t just clear up with someone saying, ‘It’s all good now’.”

Ryder said if the saga had been settled within six months, as the players were repeatedly told by club bosses it would be, he would have played out his career in red and black.

He would not the discuss the role of embattled coach James Hird, describing their relationship as “pretty good”.

He said he hoped Essendon and his teammates understood his decision to move on.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/bomber-ryder-feared-for-his-unborn-son-during-dons-drug-saga/story-fnelctok-1227085737436

tony_montana

« Reply #3089 on: October 10, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »

Just when you think, essedumb supporters have hity rock bottom, they reach new lows. The delusion is scary! - they are a cult

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bomber-ryder-feared-for-his-unborn-son-during-dons-drug-saga/story-fni5f22o-1227085737436
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:42:28 AM by tony_montana »