Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 555439 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #3300 on: January 31, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
Dr YBB, need a link to the BF post especially in light of what you are suggesting was removed

Until you supply it your post is removed and I have it saved away from the foum

With out a link it is a rumour, a nasty one at that; that falls in what we call the grey legal area so unless you can supply the appropriate link then to it has to go

Know people think we (especially me) over react on these things but believe we don't. All we do is follow the legal advice that we've been given

Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:47:04 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3301 on: January 31, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
It's not your fault it's the sooks who complain over a little internet defamation

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3302 on: January 31, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
Just pretend Dalhaus is Essendon:

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3303 on: February 01, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »
Dr YBB, need a link to the BF post especially in light of what you are suggesting was removed

Until you supply it your post is removed and I have it saved away from the foum

With out a link it is a rumour, a nasty one at that; that falls in what we call the grey legal area so unless you can supply the appropriate link then to it has to go

Know people think we (especially me) over react on these things but believe we don't. All we do is follow the legal advice that we've been given

Sorry.
The poster was Go_Blues!.  He has contacts with one of the 34 players it seems.  He followed up with this post to reiterate the official ASADA evidence that was removed earlier. Search for his posts on this page.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bruce-francis.1083004/page-121

I'm not sure why posts that name no individual player or players have to be removed. I cannot see how they can be defamatory if nobody is mentioned. 
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3304 on: February 01, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
Do - no - mite  :gobdrop

Good nite Essendon if true
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3305 on: February 01, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »
I'm not sure why posts that name no individual player or players have to be removed. I cannot see how they can be defamatory if nobody is mentioned.

Quite easily I am afraid. Based on history and issues we have had to deal with regarding this site, quite easily indeed. What's the old saying? "once bitten..." We got bitten, we act very quickly now.

Please understand we can only go by the legal advice we've rec'd and when it comes to this sort of stuff our advice was very very clear and as such we do the things that what we do at all times based on what's best for OER

Posting a link is in the main enough, but having said that even posting a link is still no guarantee as we found out

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3306 on: February 01, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »

Quite easily I am afraid. Based on history and issues we have had to deal with regarding this site, quite easily indeed. What's the old saying? "once bitten..." We got bitten, we act very quickly now.

Please understand we can only go by the legal advice we've rec'd and when it comes to this sort of stuff our advice was very very clear and as such we do the things that what we do at all times based on what's best for OER

Posting a link is in the main enough, but having said that even posting a link is still no guarantee as we found out
Fair enough. :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

« Reply #3307 on: February 01, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
WP are you able in a few words tell us what the legal people tell you on this?By having a link does it mean the assertion /statement made is out in the public domain and thus not just heresay

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3308 on: February 01, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »
Could you maybe outline the previous incident in general terms?

I always find it hard to work out exactly what sort of stuff you refer to.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3309 on: February 01, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
WP are you able in a few words tell us what the legal people tell you on this?By having a link does it mean the assertion /statement made is out in the public domain and thus not just heresay

I think we've explained this many many times ...but....

Providing a link means it is the public domain and therefore we are not starting an unsubstantiated rumour or here say

As we have said many times posting something that cannot be substantiated by facts even in jest opens us up to possible legal action. Here we are talking about illegal activities, off field incidents, some thing that can damage a persons reputation etc

Just on 2 years ago now we had to deal with threat of legal action over a thread that was over 5 years old. Legal reps were checking all forum like this one to search for any type of reference to an incident where one of the news service reported something that was later proved to be false. In that case a link was posted here but it didn't stop us from being contacted. The news site had removed their references to the incident but it was never publicised and as a result we hadn't removed what was posted here.

That incident was an incredibly stressful time for us and we faced the real possibility of not only the site being closed down but ending up in court with a lawsuit.

Anyone who thinks that forums are not constantly being looked at by legal firms are kidding themselves

Our approach is very simple if it is out there in the public on a reputable source eg the main News sites then it can be posted and people can comment on it as long as they stick to the facts as known. However, we are certainly more vigilant if new services change there reporting of things now. If things reported change then we act.

In the simplest of terms posting a rumour that cannot be backed up and that can be claimed to be defamatory then we remove it. Because that's what we've been told is the best thing for the site. Anything that we are unsure or falls into what we call the grey area gets removed. No "ifs", "buts" or "maybes"

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:16:47 PM by WilliamPowell »

No More

« Reply #3310 on: February 01, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
to be honest Ive always felt that moderators of every site err badly by not deleting contentious threads, especially those that are not active. Delete Delete Delete.

tony_montana

« Reply #3311 on: February 02, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »
Is there no end to the delusion - this made me flat out LOL

http://www.sen.com.au/news/robbo-guaranteed-backdated-suspensions-or-dons-boycott

Robbo: Guaranteed backdated suspensions or Dons boycott

Essendon players will not participate in any AFL-sanctioned games unless they are guaranteed any possible suspensions will be backdated to last year, says Mark Robinson.

The chief football writer for the Herald Sun believes the Bombers will not participate unless they can be assured any suspension will start from the last time they played in 2014.

“If Essendon is playing in the NAB Challenge and this hearing hasn’t handed down its decision, then if they play and there is no backdating then that would be deemed their last game (from where the suspension would start),” explained Robinson on SEN radio.

“So the players, I’ve been told, will not play unless they get a guarantee it will be backdated.”

dwaino

« Reply #3312 on: February 02, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
That's not how penalties work, slobbo.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #3313 on: February 02, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
to be honest Ive always felt that moderators of every site err badly by not deleting contentious threads, especially those that are not active. Delete Delete Delete.
Can we have a chance to cut and paste a few pearlers before they are taken down. I want to quote them when we win the flag.

That's not how penalties work, slobbo.
:laugh:
Did anyone at Essendon actually say that? Or is blobbo just yelling out ideas from the peanut gallery and hoping the board might take them on?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3314 on: February 02, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »

Did anyone at Essendon actually say that? Or is blobbo just yelling out ideas from the peanut gallery and hoping the board might take them on?

This.