Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 555449 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #3465 on: April 01, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »
ASADA says an appeal is a 'live optiin' but they want to go through the 130+ page judgement thoroughly first.

WADA can also come over the top and appeal to the C.A.S.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/asada-keeps-essendon-bombers-samples-on-ice-after-afl-anti-doping-tribunal-verdict/story-fni5f6kv-1227286951262
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:40:55 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3466 on: April 01, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »
THE WORLD Anti-Doping Agency will wait on the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority's decision before deciding whether it will appeal against the 'not guilty' verdicts of 34 past and present Essendon players.

In a statement released to AFL.com.au early Wednesday morning, WADA director general David Howman confirmed his organisation would review the case, but only once local processes were exhausted.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-01/wada-waits-over-dons

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3467 on: April 02, 2015, 02:56:47 AM »
ASADA boss Ben McDevitt has revealed his concern that crucial records of the Essendon supplements program may have been "either destroyed or removed".

In an exclusive interview with Fairfax Media, Mr McDevitt warned of fresh show-cause notices if evidence emerged of document destruction in an attempt to cover-up the use of a banned substance.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/asada-chief-reveals-concern-that-essendon-records-may-have-been-destroyed-20150401-1mcthw.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leading player manager Craig Kelly has said he still holds fears for the health of the 34 Essendon footballers regularly injected by the club in 2012, and he has not ruled out those players taking further action to learn what substances they were given.

Kelly, whose Elite Sports Properties handles the affairs of 14 of the 34, including Bombers captain Jobe Watson, said while he was relieved they had been cleared of doping, the medical scenario faced by the players was "scary".

"It's a disgrace what happened to them at the club," Kelly told Fairfax Media.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essendon-bombers/manager-still-holds-fears-for-health-of-dons-players-20150401-1mcyib.html

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3468 on: April 02, 2015, 06:33:28 AM »
ASADA boss Ben McDevitt has revealed his concern that crucial records of the Essendon supplements program may have been "either destroyed or removed".

In an exclusive interview with Fairfax Media, Mr McDevitt warned of fresh show-cause notices if evidence emerged of document destruction in an attempt to cover-up the use of a banned substance.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/asada-chief-reveals-concern-that-essendon-records-may-have-been-destroyed-20150401-1mcthw.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leading player manager Craig Kelly has said he still holds fears for the health of the 34 Essendon footballers regularly injected by the club in 2012, and he has not ruled out those players taking further action to learn what substances they were given.

Kelly, whose Elite Sports Properties handles the affairs of 14 of the 34, including Bombers captain Jobe Watson, said while he was relieved they had been cleared of doping, the medical scenario faced by the players was "scary".

"It's a disgrace what happened to them at the club," Kelly told Fairfax Media.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essendon-bombers/manager-still-holds-fears-for-health-of-dons-players-20150401-1mcyib.html

On average 1 in 4 people have a brush with cancer. 34 players means about 8 of them will have some sort of cancer at some time in their lives.

The club will get sued at some stage in the future.

This is not over.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3469 on: April 03, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
Senior Dons players questioned jabs in 2012 program

Grant Baker, Michael Warner
Herald-Sun
April 03, 2015

SENIOR players including Mark McVeigh “bluntly” questioned the Bombers’ injection regimen shortly after it was introduced in 2012, the AFL tribunal’s judgment in the ­failed doping case against the ­Essendon 34 reveals.

Current and former players were cleared this week of using banned peptide Thymosin beta-4.

The 132-page judgment, ­obtained by the Herald Sun, ­reveals some of the players’ views of the controversial supplements program.

The Herald Sun has chosen only to name players who have previously been identified.

The report — the public ­release of which is being considered by the players — states that in January 2012 concerns were raised at a player leadership meeting.

Essendon captain Jobe Watson told ASADA interviewers McVeigh “used blunt words” to question the injection program led by former ­Essendon sports scientist Stephen Dank, who is still awaiting judgment from the tribunal.

“Mark was saying, ‘What the hell’s this new supplement program that we’re doing? What is it? These injections, s---, I don’t like it. Where’s it coming from? I want to know ... the players were concerned ... I’ve never heard of injections being done before’.

“That was the common theme from the group.”

McVeigh, who retired at the end of the 2012 season and is now an assistant coach at GWS, initially expressed shock that Essendon was being investigated in February 2013. But after being interviewed by ASADA four months later, he admitted to being alarmed by what he had been told.

The judgment states the player leadership meeting ­occurred the day before club doctor Bruce Reid wrote to coach James Hird and football boss Paul Hamilton, also raising his concerns about the program. Following the player meeting, fitness boss Dean Robinson drafted consent forms for players to sign.

Professor David Handelsman, director of reproductive endocrinology and andrology at the ANZAC Research Institute, was asked to comment on the consent form when he gave evidence to the tribunal.

Prof Handelsman described the form as “alarmingly inadequate” because, among other reasons, there was “no description of what Thymosin is or what it does”, and that it “fails to provide sufficient information and adequate understanding of participation; no description of the manner or site of injection; no proper ­description of risks including listing of reported side-effects”.

He also noted “numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes indicating an unprofessional construction”.

The judgment says Angus Monfries — now at Port Adelaide — “recalled Mr Hird saying that they would be pushing the boundaries but it would be completely legal and state of the art”.

Another player recalled Robinson told the players that the program was like being on a cliff and going right to the end — but not over it.

The judgment also states the players were “directed to keep the program secret”.

Paddy Ryder, also now at Port, recalled: “It had to stay in-house because they didn’t want it getting out ... they thought that this would give us a competitive edge.”

The tribunal found it could not be comfortably satisfied the players had been administered Thymosin beta-4. But it delayed its judgment against Mr Dank on a raft of charges ­related to that substance and several others. He maintains he did not give the players any banned or harmful drugs, and yesterday said he intended to sue ASADA and the AFL for defamation.

Prime Minister Tony ­Abbott has dismissed the ­furore surrounding the Essendon doping scandal.

“Sure, sport has got to be clean, sport has got to be fair, there’s no way any of these young players should be misled or mistreated, but I think, frankly, we have made mountains out of molehills,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/national/senior-dons-players-questioned-jabs-in-2012-program/story-e6frfkp9-1227289772267

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3470 on: April 03, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
Mark McVeigh hey.

I can clearly remember him calling Kyle Reimers disgruntled for getting delisted.

Vitamin C anyone.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3471 on: April 05, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »
Is there a BoycottTheBombers campaign for 2015 and 2016?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3472 on: April 06, 2015, 03:28:01 AM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3473 on: April 06, 2015, 03:37:55 AM »
Is there a BoycottTheBombers campaign for 2015 and 2016?
A Booooooo Hird campaign is on. Swans fans gave it Hird near the end of their game when his face was shown on the big screen. Just imagine what the Tiger Army reaction will be at Dreamtime at the 'G this year.

By the way, love the joke going around since the Bombers lost.

Q. What is the expiry date of Thymosin Beta-4?

A. Three quarters.

;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3475 on: April 06, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3476 on: April 07, 2015, 08:42:18 AM »
The headline gives it away....

Charters would have pocketed a tidy sum.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3477 on: April 07, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
The headline gives it away....

Charters would have pocketed a tidy sum.

No I was thinking more along the lines that in the article it says Essendon wanted to and did everything by the book but at the same time they have meetings with one of ASADA's main witnesses and after said meeting he changed his story.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3478 on: April 08, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »
Without coercive powers ASADA  is up shyte creek and this case has proven it. Not even the chemist testified in the end. In theory he, not being in the AFL system, was independent but obviously he or his business did have something to lose. Future customer's probably.

It was in no ones interest for the truth to come out. In those situations ASADA need both a stick and a carrot. First cab off the rank gets off scott free and chemists and other professionals risk losing their practicing certificate if they dont keep accurate records and testify under oath or some other stick.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3479 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »
Essendon peptide records may have 'disintegrated' says Stephen Dank

Jon Pierik
The Age
April 15, 2015

Stephen Dank, the architect of the Essendon supplements program, says the missing paperwork central to identifying what peptides had been administered to players was left with the Bombers but may now have "somehow disintegrated".

In an interview on Sky News on Tuesday night, Dank also claimed Bombers club doctor Bruce Reid endorsed the initial player blood tests, attacked AFL integrity officer Brett Clothier for not acting after his discussion about peptides with coach James Hird in 2011, and called for a Senate inquiry into the handling of the saga.
Stephen Dank, seen here during Tuesday night's interview, has called for a Senate inquiry into the handling of the supplements saga.

Stephen Dank, seen here during Tuesday night's interview, has called for a Senate inquiry into the handling of the supplements saga. Photo: Courtesy Sky News

The 34 past and present players who had been charged with being administered the banned drug thymosin beta-4 were cleared by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal, with a key reason being the lack of paperwork outlining what they had been given in 2011 and '12.

Dank says he administered the legal drug thymomodulin, insisting the Bombers had said their players had respiratory problems and needed help dealing with colds and flu.

Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority chief Ben McDevitt has urged Dank to deliver his records, but the man himself says he left all information with the club when he was sacked.

During the interview, Dank turned the spotlight on to the Bombers, declaring they should have the records.

"I left them with Essendon Football Club on the day that I left the football club. They are the property of Essendon Football Club," he said.

Dank said he did not have his own copy, conceding pages of information "could have" been binned.

"I think part of the issue was that, of course, they were moving premises. (At) that particular stage in 2012, we were at Windy Hill. Of course, they have taken up new premises near the airport," he said.

"So it certainly could have been the case that they were clearing out."

He said there had been individual folders for the various supplements used.

Endorsing the claims of Hird and fitness chief Dean Robinson that they wanted a safe and legal program, albeit one that was "head and shoulders" above rival clubs, Dank said he was forced to initially keep manual records.

"I started recording those manually in written notes waiting for the IT department to offer a vehicle by which we could record straight on there," he said.

"It didn't happen, so around about January 22 was when I took it on myself to start my own excel spreadsheet. (I) put all the written information in there and continued recording on excel spreadsheets."

The Bombers have said the AFL had forensic accounting firm Deloitte seize every computer hard drive and other records at the club as soon as it revealed it had reported its supplements program .

He said records kept by anti-ageing clinics Skinovate and Hypermed, where the players received treatment and had been injected, had been handed to ASADA.

He also "believed" the consent forms players had signed had been given to the anti-doping body.

"We kept quite a deal of paperwork, for a better term, at the club, during that football season. That particular paperwork was crucial to the management of the program," he said.

"Then suddenly the whole issue blows up post February 5, 2013, and we are hearing that there is no paperwork."

Dank said Reid, who would later outline his concerns about the program in a letter to Hird and football chief Paul Hamilton in January 2012 and to the AFL, had "never" objected to the blood tests and the program.

He denied claims Reid had been "marginalised".

"Certainly the indications while I was there was that he was. And one thing that has really struck me since I left Essendon that every person who has been involved in this investigation has come out with all sorts of statements after I left.

"But the reality is I had plenty of support while I was there. They all knew the processes, they all knew what was happening, and suddenly I am finding out about issues post February (2013)," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-peptide-records-may-have-disintegrated-says-stephen-dank-20150414-1ml5yc.html