Author Topic: 2011 Season Review (RFC)  (Read 1396 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2011 Season Review (RFC)
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »
2011 Season Review: Part 1 - Rounds 1 to 8.

R1 - 20 pt loss to Carlton
R2 - Drew with St Kilda
R3 - 63 pt loss to Hawthorn
R4 - 71 pt loss to Collingwood
R5 -  9 pt WIN over North
R6 - 26 pt WIN over Brisbane
R7 - 49 pt WIN over Fremantle
R8 - 35 pt loss to the Bulldogs

Full summaries of each game are here:  http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/127575/default.aspx

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2011 Season Review (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
The Bulldogs game was disappointing given their shiteness over the season. We were a 5 goal better side than the Saints that night. And the think that i thought our only hope of beating the Saints was if we played them up on the Gold Coast during schoolies week :wallywink :lol
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
I think the results of those first 8 weeks gave us a firly snap shot of where we were as a team in 2011. We were smashed by the better, big bodied teams and were beat the more skillful or developing teams. Size was an issue for us last year even against sliding teams such as Saints and the Doggies - the Carlton game was point and case. Tucky's absence and Gus struggling meant center clearnaces were far more difficult to gain early in the year against the well established line ups of Hawthorn, Collingwood, Carlton and the Dogs.

One of the best things for me looking forward to 2012, is that some of the reasons for the clearance problems of last year (2011) have been begun to be addressed. We now have a competitive first ruckman, who while he doesn't appear a world beater yet, he will give us a 50/50 chance at worst against most ruckmen in the league. Additionally our midfield will be more experienced individually and collectively in playing together, they will have more size and with an instant injection of talent with Lids joining the group, it should be better aga

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
Here's Part 2 - Rounds 9 to 16

R9 -   16 pt WIN over Essendon
R10 - 15 pt loss to Port
R11 - bye
R12 - 10 pt loss to Sydney
R13 - 31 pt WIN over Brisbane
R14 - 27 pt loss to Melbourne
R15 - 103 pt loss to Carlton
R16 - 39 pt loss to Essendon

Full summaries of each game are here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/127582/default.aspx

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
The poorest 8 weeks of the year.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

the claw

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 01:15:13 AM »
ah perceptions. supporters lament certain things but i can honestly say  freo aside who we beat with  half their side out it could  easily have been 0 and 11 by the half way mark.

carlton should have won by 10 plus goals  col haw massacred us. oh those pesky top 4 or 5 sides.  north were stiff and beat us second time around i think. ess at dream time was a good game to watch. any fair minded person would admit we got em at a good time concerning injury and they did the job in the return match when players came back..
people lament about port and gc but bloody hell melb made us look silly never hear a thing about that.
bris  another bottom 4 side pushed us both times.
yep perception i suppose it deprnds on who you barrack for and just how unbiased you can be.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »
I took no notice of most of the results of the last month be it the wins or the loss to North in the last round. Mostly were just meaningless games between bottom 8 sides where both sides were playing only for pride. The uncompetitive losses to the top 5 sides made it clear we are a long way off where we need to get to. That's what I'm most interested in next year. How we stack up against the top sides and can we finally be genuinely competitive to a high standard be it win, lose or draw.

As for the season review I thought our best wins were against Freo (granted they had injuries), Essendon in the dreamtime game and the win over Sydney. In terms of gamestyle, intensity over 4 quarters and standard of play we played at a decent level which needs to become the norm from now on if we are to improve.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:51 AM »
ah perceptions. supporters lament certain things but i can honestly say  freo aside who we beat with  half their side out it could  easily have been 0 and 11 by the half way mark.

carlton should have won by 10 plus goals  col haw massacred us. oh those pesky top 4 or 5 sides.  north were stiff and beat us second time around i think. ess at dream time was a good game to watch. any fair minded person would admit we got em at a good time concerning injury and they did the job in the return match when players came back..
people lament about port and gc but bloody hell melb made us look silly never hear a thing about that.
bris  another bottom 4 side pushed us both times.
yep perception i suppose it deprnds on who you barrack for and just how unbiased you can be.

I'm not sure your point? That we are poo perhaps? What does poo mean? If it means anyone who finished below Carlton - that is a high standard perhaps but that standard would make us poo.
Below that standard we are competitive but inconsistent whichnyou expect from a list as young as ours.

In the 1st 8 weeks we played ok. Absolutely were the better side against the Saints, beat Bombres fair and square, your comment about the Kangas smacks of "if my mum was my aunty", wo was missing agianst Freo cause the last time I looked we beat them by 8 goals and Sandi, Munday, Pav, Fyfe and McPharlin all played. We would've beat Freo no matter who they had on the park that night.
In our poor 8 weeks, we lost to The Demons, Bombres, GC and port which shows if you are slightly off you get beat at our current standard which is mid table at best.

Carlton, Hawks, Cats and Pies are all panels above us but we knew that.
Below that list, our best is competitive our worst isn't capable of beating the worst hence the issue of consistency during games and week in week out.

Ah opinions, like bungholes every has one and sometimes they make you look like a bunghole!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”