Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 194052 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #1365 on: September 01, 2023, 04:13:10 PM »
Odd to me that only 3 teams are tipped to finish top 4 lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1366 on: September 07, 2023, 05:30:12 PM »
Richmond vice-captain Gabby Seymour on footy, Facebook and staunch advocacy for female athletes

Gabby Seymour was a volleyballer who answered a Facebook ad with an unlikely football dream. Now, the Richmond vice-captain has become a key voice in AFLW.

Lauren Wood
HeraldSun
September 7, 2023 - 4:03PM

Every time Gabby Seymour sees the black shorts awaiting in the changerooms before each game, she can’t help but take a moment to smile.

It’s a long way from having a kick at halftime of men’s games at The Basin, answering a Facebook ad calling out for VFL Women’s players to now being Richmond vice-captain and a prominent advocate for players as part of the union in ongoing collective bargaining agreement negotiations.

It’s a lot.

It was announced in December that AFLW players would no longer wear white “away” shorts after league uniform rules were changed in a bid to ease anxiety around menstruation for players, with last weekend the first time the change was enacted in a season proper.

For Seymour — a driving force in the shift — it was a “really cool” moment.

“It’s something I’ll probably find increasingly cool to look back on and reflect on and say, ‘hey, I really had a hand in that and was a part of moving that forward’,” she said this week.

“It’s one of those things — if you went and asked our AFLW team right now, do you want to wear white shorts or do you mind if we wear white shorts … there’d probably be about half of the list who say ‘couldn’t care less’. There might be a strong other part of it that says ‘actually, no, it makes me feel really uncomfortable’.

“I think if you can remove a barrier like that to make more people feel comfortable, why wouldn’t you do that?.”

Seymour noted Victoria University women in sport researcher and adviser Clare Hanlon as another key to change.

“We some really good conversations with her about that being a massive barrier to particularly young girls – under the age of 15 – not wanting to participate in sports because of things like uniform,” the Richmond tall and top-level volleyball convert said.

“It just seems like such an easy thing to change.

“I saw them in the locker room (last week) and then I was like ‘oh, cool, we’re in black shorts’, but then once you’re out there, you don’t really think about it.

“Especially at a time where we’re trying to maximise the number of girls that are playing sport and keeping girls in sport for long periods of time, we’ve got to look at things like this that are easy changes for us to make that make people feel more comfortable. Why wouldn’t you?.”

A former national volleyballer, Seymour — who would have had to move overseas to continue her pursuit of that sport, had her eye caught by footy about five years ago.

She’d never played. A bit on that later.

These days she works a few days in a clinic in her qualified trade as a physiotherapist but football has seen her change tack to pursuing a role in sports administration, currently working at Richmond Institute — the club’s education arm developing the next generation of sports leaders.

So when the opportunity came up to join the players’ association as a club representative, Seymour jumped at it and is passionate that the time is now for women’s sport to be the beneficiary of investment and truly boom — “if not now, then when?”, she asks.

“I just saw it as a really good opportunity to learn more about how that side of the game works,” she said.

“I love being a part of it. I find it absolutely fascinating and learning about all the different stakeholders … as players, you’ve got your priorities, but what about the community? What about the AFL who are paying the bills? You learn a whole lot, whether it ends up in football or in another field – being able to take in that whole picture, it’s an incredibly useful skill.”

Seymour chooses to work, and while player salaries have increased – with negotiations on the next deal at fever pitch – she is adamant that employment outside of football should be a choice for female athletes, not a necessity as players straddle two “worlds”.

“We have this really awkward cohort (of players) at the moment who are in between those worlds — girls who came into football and had to have another job, or had already been working another job when AFLW became a thing,” Seymour said.

“What I think is that it should be a choice. If you want to be able to work, no worries at all. I love that in that clubs are really good in the W space … but the fact that that’s a choice is very different to it being ‘you have to work to be able to support yourself’.

“That’s where I’d love to see the game get to.”

Footy began as a kick-to-kick at halftime of her now-fiance Nick’s games in the Eastern Football Netball League, before Seymour tried her hand at the Tigers at the end of 2018.

“I realised pretty quickly that I was no good,” she laughed.

“I was learning to kick and would practice at any opportunity that we got. A few months later, I came across a trial on Facebook for Richmond’s VFLW team. I hadn’t played a game of footy yet, but thought it would be a lot of girls like me who had been athletes in other sports just giving it a go. I got that part wrong, because all the girls were in their full football kits — I didn’t even have a pair of football boots, because I thought that might be a bit of overkill as a starting point.”

Coaches rang a few days later noting her competitiveness and attitude, and she got to work.

“Maybe people around me had a bit more confidence than I did,” Seymour.

“I never expected this would be what I’m doing (these years later). It’s so incredible, as well, being part of the football world in terms of how many other opportunities it opens up.

“There’s just so many wonderful people in the football world who are willing to help you and if you’re someone who is willing to put yourself out there and say hey, I really want to give this a good crack or try this, people will be happy to help you. That’s sort of been my story of the last four years.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/aflw/afl-news-richmond-vicecaptain-gabby-seymour-on-footy-facebook-and-staunch-advocacy-for-female-athletes/news-story/e92124c215756f9d1b96154da1874448

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1367 on: October 08, 2023, 10:13:33 PM »
Put a wing on it: AFLW's evolution helping Dempsey flourish

Amid a spate of injuries at the Tigers, Kate Dempsey has been as steady as a rock

By Sarah Black
womens.afl
8 October 2023

INJURIES, form and integrating a fresh forward line have led to a somewhat inconsistent season for Richmond so far, but winger Kate Dempsey has been steady as a rock.

The 28-year-old is in career-best touch in her fifth season, having joined the Tigers with pick No.84 in the 2019 draft ahead of the club's first AFLW year.

And Dempsey credits a simple swivel of the head from her teammates as to why her numbers have exploded this year, with her average disposals near-doubling from 11.4 to 20.6.

Dempsey's average metres gained – a key stat for wingers, who are integral in helping move the footy from the backline to the forward line, usually around the outside of the mass of players – have also risen dramatically, from 165.9m to 396.2m.

She is seventh overall for average metres gained, the highest of all wingers.

"We're utilising our wings really well. Wings for the first few years of AFLW have probably been under-utilised, and now just watching the game open up and flow, the wingers are just licking their lips," Dempsey told afl.com.au.

"It's credit to the girls that they're using it and looking that way, so it's more of a team thing than a me thing, which is really cool.

"The wings have to play a really disciplined role in the team in holding width (across the field) and holding structure of the team, not getting sucked in and just chasing the ball.

"You have to make sure you're holding that outside. You have to also do a lot of help-back running to our defence, so we often are an extra defender.

"But we also work hard going forward, so you end up being all over the ground, but it has to be a super disciplined position, otherwise your opponent is out the back and skirting away very quickly.

"It takes, I think, quite a selfless player to play that role, but it's really cool to see it opening up."

Richmond made finals last year, finishing fourth but hurtling headfirst into grand finalists Brisbane and a fired-up North Melbourne side that had dropped to eighth after the hardest fixture of the season.

"Getting into the finals last year was a great opportunity and great experience for us to have that, and to play in a big game," Dempsey said.

"What it's done for us is just put a fire in the belly that we're going to be back there this year.

"That's what we fully believe. Not only that, but we're going to go one better and win a final. That's been on our vision board, and that's what we're going to do this year."

Hawthorn star Emily Bates joins The W Show to discuss coming up against her old club and why Melbourne v Adelaide could be the game of the year

As of round six, Richmond has the longest injury list in the AFLW (eight of 30), and this week have been forced to name train-on players Shannon Danckert (ex-Gold Coast) and Lauren Caruso (Port Melbourne VFLW) as emergencies.

The injuries themselves are a mixture of soft-tissue, impact/collision and illness, with former No.1 pick Ellie McKenzie, defensive leader Bec Miller and both Sarah and Jess Hosking among those sidelined.

"It's sometimes tricky for the coaches and how they move the magnets. But we have full faith in our coaches that they're just going to make it work," Dempsey said.

"We're really lucky now that over the years, through some really good picks from Trenna (Trent Mosbey, list manager), that we've established such depth in our team, that when someone's out, we can move round and make it work.

"Every week, there's such good new fresh faces. 'G-Train' (Caitlin Greiser) up forward is giving us some great looks, particularly in her contest work. Molly (Eastman) coming off half-back, Charli (Wicksteed) has just given us some energy.

"Not only that, there's been 'old' girls doing things too, like Poppy Kelly moving up forward, Meg Macdonald kicked her first goal (two weeks ago), it's very exciting to see that happen."

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1048868/put-a-wing-on-it-aflws-evolution-helping-dempsey-flourish

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1368 on: October 10, 2023, 04:50:59 PM »
The final H&A fixture has been confirmed.

Round 10

Friday, November 3

Gold Coast v Essendon, Great Barrier Reef Arena (Mackay), 6.45pm AEST

Saturday, November 4
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne, Whitten Oval, 1.05pm AEDT
Port Adelaide v GWS Giants, Alberton Oval, 2.35pm ACDT
West Coast v Adelaide, Mineral Resources Park, 2.05pm AWST
Geelong v Hawthorn, GMHBA Stadium, 5.05pm AEDT
Brisbane v Melbourne, Brighton Homes Arena, 6.05pm AEST

Sunday, November 5
Carlton v St Kilda, Ikon Park, 1.05pm AEDT
Collingwood v Richmond, Victoria Par, 3.05pm AEDT
Fremantle v Sydney, Fremantle Oval, 2.05pm AWST

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1051679/r10-fixture-final-day-blockbuster-gf-rematch-headline-final-round

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1369 on: November 06, 2023, 07:05:42 PM »
Matches played against the bottom 6 teams in the 2023 #AFLW season (top 8 highlighted)...

Sydney played all 6, last year's premiers in Melbourne played 5 while 6 out of the 10 teams that missed finals last year played just 3 or fewer.

A 17 round season can't come soon enough.

https://twitter.com/OliverGigacz/status/1721076611993440341

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1370 on: November 06, 2023, 09:11:34 PM »
No issue with Sydney's draw. They went 0 and 10 last season. The way they've turned things around us a credit to them

And a 17 game season is miles away. Thanks to unrealistic targets set by HQ that need to be hit to increase the number of games
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1371 on: November 09, 2023, 04:15:30 PM »
Emelia Yassir is the only Tiger to make the 22Under22 squad.

https://vote.22under22.com.au/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1372 on: November 10, 2023, 02:59:45 PM »
Richmond AFLW development coach and former player Adam Marcon will depart the Club to take up his first full-time coaching role at North Melbourne.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1462897/good-luck-adam-marcon

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1373 on: November 13, 2023, 08:18:44 PM »
Caitlin Greiser's freak goal against Collingwood has been nominated for Goal of the Year.

You can vote for it here: https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/goal-of-the-year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1374 on: November 14, 2023, 06:31:15 PM »
Conti & Sheerin have been named in the All-Australia squad.

Monique Conti (Richmond)

10 matches

Averaged 28.5 disposals, 7.3 clearances (league high), 418 metres-gained, 5.8 tackles and 3.5 score involvements per game.

Four-time All Australian (2019, 2021, 2022 S6, 2022 S7). Six-time All Australian squad (2018, 2020).

Eilish Sheerin (Richmond)

10 matches

Averaged 16.8 disposals, 357 metres-gained, 5.3 tackles, two intercept marks and 2.1 clearances per game.

2022 S7 All Australian.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-2023-afl-womens-all-australian-squad-of-42-revealed-players-nominated-records-every-teams-nominees-latest-news/news-story/5904458d59df38f6a6a443ccd873e1c6

The final All-Australian AA team of 21 will be announced at the W Awards on Monday, November 27.

The 2023 All-Australian Panel consists of Nicole Livingstone (Chair), Andrew Dillon, Laura Kane, Jason Bennett, Kelli Underwood, Sarah Black, Katie Loynes, Narelle Smith, Megan Waters.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1464966/conti-sheerin-named-in-all-australian-squad

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1375 on: November 16, 2023, 06:24:19 PM »
Richmond midfielder/forward Meagan Kiely has called time on her AFLW career after three seasons in the yellow and black.

Kiely, 28, played 19 senior games for Richmond after being selected with pick No. 48 overall at the 2021 AFLW Draft via North Melbourne VFL.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1466024/

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1376 on: November 16, 2023, 08:37:45 PM »
Richmond midfielder/forward Meagan Kiely has called time on her AFLW career after three seasons in the yellow and black.

Kiely, 28, played 19 senior games for Richmond after being selected with pick No. 48 overall at the 2021 AFLW Draft via North Melbourne VFL.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1466024/

Good call

I don't think she would have been offered another contract anyway
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1377 on: November 16, 2023, 11:57:07 PM »
Greater Western Sydney's AFLW superstar Alyce Parker is weighing up significant rival interest, as the Giants fight to retain their four-time best and fairest winning midfielder.

AFL.com.au understands Parker has garnered serious levels of interest from Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Carlton and is currently considering rival offers, though the Blues have already been informed she will not be heading to Ikon Park.

Parker, who has established herself as one of the League's best inside midfielders, is a dual AFLW All-Australian and claimed four Gabrielle Trainor Medals as the Giants' best and fairest in her first five seasons.

Parker finished second in Tuesday night's most recent best and fairest count despite missing the final three games of the season with an ankle injury that required surgery.

She had been averaging 25.1 disposals and 5.6 tackles this year, before suffering her injury.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1064698/gun-giant-alyce-parker-ponders-shock-move-as-vic-rivals-circle

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1378 on: November 17, 2023, 10:03:14 AM »
Greater Western Sydney's AFLW superstar Alyce Parker is weighing up significant rival interest, as the Giants fight to retain their four-time best and fairest winning midfielder.

AFL.com.au understands Parker has garnered serious levels of interest from Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Carlton and is currently considering rival offers, though the Blues have already been informed she will not be heading to Ikon Park.

Parker, who has established herself as one of the League's best inside midfielders, is a dual AFLW All-Australian and claimed four Gabrielle Trainor Medals as the Giants' best and fairest in her first five seasons.

Parker finished second in Tuesday night's most recent best and fairest count despite missing the final three games of the season with an ankle injury that required surgery.

She had been averaging 25.1 disposals and 5.6 tackles this year, before suffering her injury.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1064698/gun-giant-alyce-parker-ponders-shock-move-as-vic-rivals-circle

Yes please

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1379 on: November 17, 2023, 09:24:22 PM »
A special shout-out to our record-breaking 3734 AFLW members!

We cannot wait to see you in 2024

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/status/1725368321401634844