Author Topic: The Casey Fishhead Just Keeps On Rotting / AFL probes Tigers' property dealings  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tiger trio's Torquay property dispute
Damian Barrett | February 09, 2009 12:00am

THREE Richmond players are plotting legal action against the club's former president Clinton Casey in disputed property deals.

Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson yesterday met a barrister in the Melbourne CBD, seeking resolution on deals relating to Torquay properties bought from a Casey-controlled company.

The players claim they were promised financial returns that have not materialised.</p>

There has been a widely held belief in football that Richmond used the vast land holdings of Casey as a ploy to retain key players and lure others from opposition clubs, raising suggestions of breaches of salary cap.

Casey, Richmond president from 2000 to 2005, and the Tigers recently settled out of court a legal dispute involving former Tiger player Ben Holland.

Holland lodged documents in the Supreme Court claiming he was owed more than $500,000 after being promised by Casey a number of investment and business opportunities that he claimed were not delivered.

The Holland case carried potential salary cap ramifications for the Tigers.

Current Richmond president Gary March said last night the matter involving Richardson, Brown and Johnson did not have such implications.

"This is like a number of other player deals relating to third party property deals," March said.

"I don't see any issue. It is an issue the players are trying to resolve themselves, in relation to some property they own.

"There is definitely no salary cap related issue."

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said all football payments received by AFL-listed players needed to be declared.

"Any football payments must be disclosed to Ken Wood, the AFL's Total Player Payments Assurance and Advice manager, and if there have been arrangements involving football payments not previously disclosed, then Ken Wood will be taking it further," Anderson said last night.

While the Tigers are not officially involved in the legal considerations of Richardson, Brown and Johnson against their former president, they have been well briefed on developments.

It is understood last month had been identified as the time the players believed they would settle on the deals with Casey, but that a number of factors, including the worldwide economic downturn, had had a major impact on the value of the properties.

It is believed the Tigers players are advanced in their legal considerations against Casey.

"At the moment, it has got nothing to do with the club. If we need to get involved, we will get involved, but I don't think there is anything for us to get involved in," March said.

It is believed players and officials from other AFL clubs have also invested in land controlled by Casey-owned companies.

Casey and Richardson could not be contacted.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25033086-19742,00.html

Ramps

Re: The Casey Fishhead Just Keeps On Rotting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:47:40 AM »
thats one hell of a story, imho I cant see that if the club was involved the players wouldnt have waited until they retired before proceeding, the fact that they are proceeding now tells me we are clear as a club, the players knew the club wasnt involved and that its a private matter between them and our former president. hopefully it all works out for those involved.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:13 AM »
Who cares?

Damien Barrett anyone else  ???  ::)

;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

richmondrules

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Damien Barrett

Well the title of this thread does mention rotting fish heads.

Damien? Is that you?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »

There has been a widely held belief in football that Richmond used the vast land holdings of Casey as a ploy to retain key players and lure others from opposition clubs, raising suggestions of breaches of salary cap.

This comment is bordering on libelous.  At the least the club should impose a media blackout on this flogbag.  He definitely has a very personal agenda with Richmond.   >:(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »
LOL RROFO  :lol

It doesn't matter how many times poor idiot Barrett gets told there's no salary cap issue and the AFL gave the all clear at the time to these property deals he still has another snipe at the Club talking BS about talk of breaches  :sleep ::). The writ has nothing to do with the RFC you moron.

Having said all that I'll be glad when all this is settled so we can finally move on from the Casey era.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Former Richmond boss Clinton Casey denies salary cap breach (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:51:03 AM »
Former Richmond boss Clinton Casey denies salary cap breach
Damian Barrett | February 12, 2009

CLINTON Casey claims the action taken against him by three Richmond players is a "private issue" and not related to a breach of the salary cap.

As rival clubs expressed dismay at the revelations in Tuesday's Herald Sun that three Richmond players were plotting legal action over disputed property deals, the former club president refused to address whether he had guaranteed the players financial returns that had not materialised.

"I've spoken to the boys, it is a private issue with them and with me and some of the stuff we are doing, and if other people want to talk about it, that's fine, but really, it is a private issue and I am not going to be discussing it with you," Casey told the Herald Sun yesterday.

Asked whether the property deals struck with Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson could be a breach of the AFL's salary cap rules, Casey said: "It has nothing to do with the salary cap, at all, and I know the (Richmond) president (Gary March) has already said that to you," Casey said.

Properties in a Casey-controlled resort in Torquay are at the centre of the Richmond players' action against Casey.

Richardson, Brown and Johnson claim they were promised financial returns on the properties that have not been realised.

The Tiger trio met a barrister on Monday to further explore their legal options against Casey.

Asked if he guaranteed returns to the players on the properties, Casey said: "I am not answering any questions, it is a private issue between me and the players; it is stuff that we are working on together and that is the end of the story."

It has been widely discussed in football circles that the vast land holdings of Casey, president of Richmond from 2000 to 2005, were used by the Tigers to retain key players and lure others, raising suggestions of salary cap breaches.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson would not comment on the matter when contacted yesterday, but told the Herald Sun on Tuesday:

"Any football payments must be disclosed to Ken Wood, the AFL's Total Player Payments Assurance and Advice manager, and if there have been arrangements involving football payments not previously disclosed, then Ken Wood will be taking it further."

The action between Casey and the players follows the out of court settling of a dispute involving former Tiger Ben Holland.

In documents lodged with the Supreme Court, Holland sought more than $500,000 from Casey and the club, claiming business and investment opportunities pledged in contract negotiations were not delivered.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25042106-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
KB said this morning Ken Woods of AFL needs to investigate the claims and knock this on the head.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »
Then when it's cleared he needs to knock Barrett on the head.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »
No one comments yet obsessed Barrett has to write another story about it most of which is just copying what he said the other day :sleep.

LOL @ "rival clubs expressed dismay" - clutching at imaginary straws again Damian :rollin. It's all above board, the AFL knows about these deals already and have so for years plus they've ticked them off, and every club has players deal away from the club. Geez you talk utter BS!  :stupid
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Former Richmond boss Clinton Casey denies salary cap breach (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
It has been widely discussed in football circles that the vast land holdings of Casey, president of Richmond from 2000 to 2005, were used by the Tigers to retain key players and lure others, raising suggestions of salary cap breaches.

Second time he has used that exact quote.

Is it a case of the more times he says it the more it is true??

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
What is Barretts problem with the club?  ??? >:(  At the moment every single article he writes about the Tigers is an attempt to bring down the Tigers. This attempt is the most vicious of all because it could potentially force the AFL to penialise us erhaps even to the extent in did to Carlton all those years ago.

I just want to know if he was bullied as a kid by a Tiger supporterm beaten up by the cheer squad one game, found at the bottom of the chicken poo pile or someother justification that has made him so bitter towards us to the point where he now seems obsessed with our demise.

I would like to meet the fellow and have a nice chat about his articles and help him get over his obsession...one way or another  :whistle

Stripes

richmondrules

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
I just want to know if he was bullied as a kid by a Tiger supporter, beaten up by the cheer squad one game,

Oh I really hope so.

found at the bottom of the chicken poo pile

It's his current residence.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Former Richmond boss Clinton Casey denies salary cap breach (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

Second time he has used that exact quote.

Is it a case of the more times he says it the more it is true??

Exactly what it is Gracie.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
Someone on here a while ago mentioned that they thought Barrett was a Collingwood supporter.  Does anyone know for a fact if this is true?  I have had someone else suggest he follows the Kangaroos - just wondering?