Author Topic: Daniel Connors [merged]  (Read 52043 times)

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
Re: Connors to debut
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »
Liked his game tonight. Should hold his spot i think and may even spend time in the midfield this year.

Unlike Tigermonk i applaud his efforts against Barry Hall.

I've been waiting all year for him to debut and im glad he's finally in.
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2007, 11:26:17 PM »
i didn't see the game, but the way the commentators went on about it I thought that Connors gave it real good to Bazza.

From what I heard, Connors made some blues but you'd expect that from a kid playing his first game.

He has what we need in this team and that is a bit of mongrel, some passion and dare. It was the young players in Edwards and Foley that we had hope of winning (well at least at 1/2 time) because they took the game on, Connors followed suit

Hughes, Thursty, Edwards, Jack, Connors need to retain their positions for the rest of the year IMHO.

Players like Casserly and Peterson need to be given a run before years end.

And oh, get Sugar and Tuck the hell out of the team

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »
i didn't see the game, but the way the commentators went on about it I thought that Connors gave it real good to Bazza.

From what I heard, Connors made some blues but you'd expect that from a kid playing his first game.

He has what we need in this team and that is a bit of mongrel, some passion and dare. It was the young players in Edwards and Foley that we had hope of winning (well at least at 1/2 time) because they took the game on, Connors followed suit

Hughes, Thursty, Edwards, Jack, Connors need to retain their positions for the rest of the year IMHO.

Players like Casserly and Peterson need to be given a run before years end.

And oh, get Sugar and Tuck the hell out of the team

Agree bluey. Yeh Connors let hall know how he felt, dont listen to monk i think he likes to blow smoke up barry halls skirt.
casserly and peterson and even angus in next week and give patto a run a the burgers to get some confidence back and plus we get to see how angus holds up in the big time.

I would love to see us finish the year with an extremely young side to get some game time into the players that are meant to take our side towards our next flag.
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Tigermonk

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2007, 11:34:36 PM »
Liked his game tonight. Should hold his spot i think and may even spend time in the midfield this year.

read my post again & watch the replay Conners give Bazza a little shove but who got the sharp fast jumper punch in do you guys watch football or what  :rollin :rollin

richmondrules

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2007, 08:08:57 AM »

read my post again & watch the replay Conners give Bazza a little shove but who got the sharp fast jumper punch in do you guys watch football or what  :rollin :rollin

Yeah, Hall was like the 6th grade bully in the play ground picking on the 2nd graders. Sadly for me this was EXACTLY what it looked like.

It was truly excellent to see McGuane and Connors show some attitude but in the end of the day they may as well have been shoving a mountain. Connors got into Halls face but Hall looked more like he was just savaged by a little fluffy Maltese terrier. It was pretty ineffectual. I thought McGuane was fantastic the way he didn't back down, especially after he took that right to the chin, but Hall just shrugged him off (twice and King once) when it really mattered.

That's not a criticism. You have a large (larger than most) mature and aggressive player playing against a couple of developing kids. In a few years time I reckon Hall will need to take notice of both of them but at the moment it is a ridiculous mismatch.

I just hope somebody talks to the two of them after the game and encourages their spirit and aggression. I don't think it would be appropriate for TW but somebody in a position of respect should pat them on the back. Craig McRae maybe. We need a hell of a lot more of that sort of attitude.

Tigermonk

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »
[quote author=richmondrules

Yeah, Hall was like the 6th grade bully in the play ground picking on the 2nd graders. Sadly for me this was EXACTLY what it looked like.

It was truly excellent to see McGuane and Connors show some attitude but in the end of the day they may as well have been shoving a mountain. Connors got into Halls face but Hall looked more like he was just savaged by a little fluffy Maltese terrier. It was pretty ineffectual. I thought McGuane was fantastic the way he didn't back down, especially after he took that right to the chin, but Hall just shrugged him off (twice and King once) when it really mattered.

That's not a criticism. You have a large (larger than most) mature and aggressive player playing against a couple of developing kids. In a few years time I reckon Hall will need to take notice of both of them but at the moment it is a ridiculous mismatch.

I just hope somebody talks to the two of them after the game and encourages their spirit and aggression. I don't think it would be appropriate for TW but somebody in a position of respect should pat them on the back. Craig McRae maybe. We need a hell of a lot more of that sort of attitude.

[/quote]

l agree the kids are kittens to Bazza Hall when you put them into a paddock with a bull you got to expect to go up against it otherwise the result always tells on the scoreboard

l was rapped with McGuane he has got what it takes to become a brillant fullback for us & why TW dropped him back to Coburg has me still stunned but l seriously beleive he is our future he needs another 2 seasons to build on being a Key Position players cause Thurfield has gone backwards

McGuane really took it up to Bazza Hall & even though Bazza was fired up for whatever reasons  ;D he was at his best last night
l just love it when players show aggression on the field & don't anyone get me wrong when l say Conners would get flogged going up against a huge experienced footballer that thrives on such a contest of showing strength but what Conners & McGuane showed is exactly what RFC have been missing cause players like Polak are not aggressive enough & Wallace plays him out of position

Hall got best on ground last night so RFC can take something out of this

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2007, 01:20:32 PM »
you feeling okay Tigermonk, you just said something positive about richmond  ;)  :lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2007, 10:51:33 PM »
you feeling okay Tigermonk, you just said something positive about richmond  ;)  :lol

;D l'm very positive person there bluey  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »
Perfect scenario for a debut
5:59 PM Wed 1 August, 2007
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

TWO WEEKS ago, Tigers newcomer Daniel Connors was considering hiring the likes of  Horatio Caine from CSI: Miami, or that relentless yet compassionate female detective from Law and Order: SVU, in a bid to overturn the one-game VFL suspension that robbed him of his debut game for Richmond in round 15.

“I was in the side if I got off the charge,” he said. “I tried to convince the Richmond officials to come into the tribunal and help get me off.

“But, there was some pretty damning evidence, so I would have ended up getting two [weeks] if I had tried to do that.”

The 18-year-old got his second chance last week against Sydney. His debut at the SCG contained everything a good Hollywood feature requires – thrills, life-threatening situations and great dialogue.

“When I ran out on to the field, through the gates, it was pretty exciting. But, at the same time it was daunting,” Connors said about his first taste of AFL.

“The ground was full of Sydney fans and it was, like, ‘Oh my God, here we go’.”

Connors’ blood pressure had barely settled before the “good dialogue” kicked in: a light “peppering” from his first AFL opponent, Adam Schneider, aka “The Schneiderman”.

“I think he was happy to be on a first-gamer,” Connors said, “He just looked at me and said, ‘I’m in for a pretty good night’.”

As it turned out, Schneider was the least of Connors’ worries. His first possession brought a spray from teammate Andrew Raines.

“Oh, it was a shocker,” Connors said. “I kicked it to ‘Rainsey’ and it sat right up for him and Adam Goodes almost took his head off.”

“He said to me, ‘Hey, can you try not to do that to me too many more times’.”

In the second quarter, Connors’ heart had to deal with yet another nerve-racking experience when he failed to look at the number on his opponent’s jumper before launching a physical attack in a bid to fly the team’s flag.

“I ran into Barry Hall. I nearly broke my collarbone he was that hard,” he said.

“It was too late to try to back out, as I was too close to him. So, I ended up remonstrating with him a little bit.

I sort of regretted it afterwards because for the rest of the night he was breathing down my neck, looking for me. He is a very scary man on the field.”

By the fourth and final scene Connors had collected 15 possessions and was relieved to survive his run-in with big, bad ‘Bazza’.

This week, Connors faces a giant of a different kind, Geelong. Mind you, he is likely to go into this game with a lot more confidence; he knows what it’s like to play alongside this year’s NAB AFL Rising Star favorite, Joel Selwood.

“I played footy last year with Joel. So if I get to line up against him, hopefully I can take him apart. However, he is in pretty good form at the moment.”

“It is a good feeling at the club at the moment. We believe there is a big upset on the cards,” he added.

TIGER TALK

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I am a big movie buff. Shane Edwards and I like to see every movie as soon as it comes out.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=48444

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »
Love the confidence in this kid.   :clapping :clapping
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2007, 07:41:09 AM »
In the second quarter, Connors’ heart had to deal with yet another nerve-racking experience when he failed to look at the number on his opponent’s jumper before launching a physical attack in a bid to fly the team’s flag.

“I ran into Barry Hall. I nearly broke my collarbone he was that hard,” he said.

“It was too late to try to back out, as I was too close to him. So, I ended up remonstrating with him a little bit.

I sort of regretted it afterwards because for the rest of the night he was breathing down my neck, looking for me. He is a very scary man on the field.”

LOL - talk about a baptism of fire. :lol

Moi

Connors - rising star nomination?
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »
Connors - Rising Star nomination ?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Connors - rising star nomination?
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2007, 08:06:35 PM »
Andrejs Everitt will give him a run.

Only 12 possessions last night but had a massive influence in the Dogs revival last night.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
Let him win it next year.  :thumbsup
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Moi

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »
Connors had 25 and nearly every one of them was great - had his own highlights package  :gotigers