Author Topic: Why did we recruit Houli & Grigg?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Why did we recruit Houli & Grigg?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
Bump. ;)

Most disposals in 2011

1) Deledio 306
2) Cotchin 290
3) Martin   287
4) Grigg  278
5) Houli  261
Unleash the tornado

10 FLAGS

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
both players have made a contribution Grigg early and Houli just lately. Possessions is not what should count at this stage in making conclusions, its the impact of possessions Houli's possessions are starting to hurt opposition teams whilst at the moment Grigg is a little of the boil in terms of impacting the opposition IMHO

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »
We needed skillfull left-footers.  Simple as that. They're both great addition IMO
The club that keeps giving.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
We needed skillfull left-footers.  Simple as that. They're both great addition IMO

Would argue that Grigg's kicking isn't his greatest asset.

Certainly wouldn't call him a "skillful left footer"

His disposal the last 4 or games has been terrible

Last night was an improvement but he still butchers too many for my liking
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
Both are doing their job, Houli in particular has impressed the hell out of me.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
Yeah agree with Owl.

gerkin greg

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
Bump. ;)

Most disposals in 2011

1) Deledio 306
2) Cotchin 290
3) Martin   287
4) Grigg  278
5) Houli  261

And they said the bump was dead  :thumbsup

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »

Grigg's disposal efficiency is 73.02%.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »

Grigg's disposal efficiency is 73.02%.

Thats because most of griggs kicks are 'safe' short kicks unless he is roosting them deep into the forward line. He is not a good kick but the good thing is he appears to know his limitations.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 02:13:10 AM »
We recruited Houli and Grigg to improve our side AND THEY HAVE DONE EXACTLY THAT.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 06:08:24 AM »
We recruited Houli and Grigg to improve our side AND THEY HAVE DONE EXACTLY THAT.

Yep, one a bit more than the other but both are good young players that have done exactly as you say.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »
agree with owl

10 FLAGS

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
Bump!

This isnt necessarily about the players in question but if Richmond is to get better we need to recruit better. Houli and Grigg are in the words of the late great Jack Dyer 'Good Ordinary Players' and thats it. Houli has become ineffective since clubs worked out that if you put someone on him you can decimate his output, whilst Grigg hasnt fired a shot for a fair while now.

Its not about the players in question, its about the type of player we are recruiting. I think Blair Hartley needs to do better, much better and if the rumours about Jackson Trengove from Port coming to RFC are true then its not gonna get much better IMHO.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »
Bump!

This isnt necessarily about the players in question but if Richmond is to get better we need to recruit better. Houli and Grigg are in the words of the late great Jack Dyer 'Good Ordinary Players' and thats it. Houli has become ineffective since clubs worked out that if you put someone on him you can decimate his output, whilst Grigg hasnt fired a shot for a fair while now.

Its not about the players in question, its about the type of player we are recruiting. I think Blair Hartley needs to do better, much better and if the rumours about Jackson Trengove from Port coming to RFC are true then its not gonna get much better IMHO.

I'm happy with Bacher and Griggs - at first I was unsure but have now seen enough to say that they can be part of our 22.
However, we can't build a side around them which means that they are going to struggle from time to time.
Yesterday was a good example.
Griggs needs a spell, he has ben struggling but if he cops it on the chin, works hard in the 2s and comes back - it's actually a positive.
It's when they get played no matter what when promised a regular spot that would concern me.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »
Bump!

I have have disagree here, Houli and Grigg are both in our best 22 and they cost us next to nothing. While Grigg is going through a form slump atm he has shown his best is good better than Collins by a mile, Houli on the other hand has been solid all year he has provided good run off half back and his kicking would be top 5 at the club.

If we were to recruit Jackson Trengove he would instantly become our best tall defender something we are crying out for!! He is a kid who has only been in the system for 2 seasons he has a cool head, show's composure, is a good kick and is already in Ports leadership group. I'm not sure what other type of player you want us to recruit??

We are basically re building the list from scratch we still have a way to go but in a period of compromised drafts we havn't done a bad job.....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:16:29 PM by Tiger-from-Tas »