Author Topic: Cameron Schwab  (Read 3639 times)

Moi

Cameron Schwab
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:26 AM »
I heard him linked to Melbourne last week with McNamee going.
Methinks he'll come back to the Tiges though.
Would we want him back?
I know Tonys-a-Tiger liked him  ::)
He wasn't a popular bloke with the staff from memory, but he reckons the players liked him.
But didn't Greg just get dropped becuase he couldn't distance himself from those below him?
I know Cam's gone out and got his business degrees and he's turned Freo around off field.
Could he do a good job at the Tiges?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cameron Schwab
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »
I heard him linked to Melbourne last week with McNamee going.
Methinks he'll come back to the Tiges though.
Would we want him back?
I know Tonys-a-Tiger liked him  ::)
He wasn't a popular bloke with the staff from memory, but he reckons the players liked him.
But didn't Greg just get dropped becuase he couldn't distance himself from those below him?
I know Cam's gone out and got his business degrees and he's turned Freo around off field.
Could he do a good job at the Tiges?

We've already got a team that has turned us around off-field.

Now all we need is an on-field team.

I dont know if I want Schwab but it wouldnt surprise me if we're hunting him .  :-\
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »
Doesn't KB hate him?

We finally got Hungry back, we'd lose him again.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Moi

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
Doesn't KB hate him?

That's KB's problem really, something he'd have to deal with.
He seems to be coming around a bit more lately though
Time to let the past go methinks.
I hope he goes back to Melbourne.
I know he's gone back to school and got all the business degrees and had some success at Freo off field, but it just seems like old baggage.
Can anyone remember how old he was when he took on the CEO role back in the '90s?
He was mighty young for such responsibilities he had then.  Doubt you'd ever see that again.
I think he was 21 or thereabouts.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
I don't want him anywhere near the club
Has a terrible off field record
Pretty easy to do the finance for a club that gets 40,000+ members
Was part of Melbourne breaching the salary cap and had a hand in some diabolical trades at Freo

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »
Doesn't KB hate him?

That's KB's problem really, something he'd have to deal with.
He seems to be coming around a bit more lately though
Time to let the past go methinks.
I hope he goes back to Melbourne.
I know he's gone back to school and got all the business degrees and had some success at Freo off field, but it just seems like old baggage.
Can anyone remember how old he was when he took on the CEO role back in the '90s?
He was mighty young for such responsibilities he had then.  Doubt you'd ever see that again.
I think he was 21 or thereabouts.

24 im pretty sure he was..
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »
Don't want him near the club either but I would've thought he'd be after bigger fish to fry now anyway rather than just another gig as CEO of an AFL club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers turn to Cameron Schwab (Australian)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »
Tigers turn to Cameron Schwab
Stephen Rielly | July 30, 2008

RICHMOND's future football operations head may belong to the club's past, with former chief executive Cameron Schwab yesterday linked to the position that was taken from Greg Miller on Sunday.

Schwab, who is due to return to Victoria early next week after seven years as Fremantle chief executive, has been touted as a potential successor to recently sacked Melbourne chief executive Paul McNamee. But the Demons may have to vie with the Tigers, who are understood to have an interest in bringing the 44-year old-back to Punt Road.

Schwab, eldest son of the legendary Richmond general manager Alan Schwab, and brother of former club director and current Professional Footballers Association chairman Brendan Schwab, became the youngest chief executive in AFL history when he was placed in charge at Punt Road by Graeme Richmond in 1988.

Schwab resigned six years later and before joining the Dockers in 2001 he worked for the Demons both as head of football operations and as chief executive.

It was with Melbourne that Schwab began his career in the game, as a teenage recruiter in the early 1980s, but a return to Richmond would be a true home-coming. Moreover, he is understood to be reluctant to take on the responsibilities of chief executive with another club immediately but is keen to stay in the game. Last week, he went so far as to say Melbourne was not a consideration.

At a relatively young age, with a Richmond heritage that seems to have become important in recent days and considerable experience, Schwab fits the description Richmond president Gary March gave as the person he says the club wants to replace Miller. Schwab is also available.

March used the word "contemporary" to describe Miller's successor but said the appointment would also have to be experienced given that he will be expected to have immediate input into decisions made about drafting, trading and possible changes to the football department in the off-season.

It is understood, for example, that thought is being given to replacing several of Wallace's assistant coaches, a number of whom have been with him for almost four years.

Schwab was not available for comment yesterday but Richmond sources confirmed that he was being considered.

Should he return to Punt Road, Schwab will have to deal with the potentially destabilising issue of whether coach Terry Wallace should be re-contracted beyond 2009.

Rest of article at:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24098625-2722,00.html

Moi

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:04:15 AM »
Gee I'm glad the club told us that wasn't Tonys a Tiger on Y&B
 :rollin

TAT said once, and I paraphrase, that the club expected Cameron to be CEO, direcotr of recruiting and recruiter and basicly any other job they could think of.  The guy worked his arse off, according to TAT.

Excuse me, but wasn't that Greg's job as well.  He doesn't seem to get the same sympathy  :banghead

And well done to Infamy at the time for questioning that  :thumbsup

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:13:44 AM »
why should greg get sympathy

lets look at something form another angle.  it was miller and miller alone who was ensured daddy the dud had his performance based clause taken away from his contract. we had to put up with 2 years extra hell under danny which set us back , way back behind the pack. if miller didnt back danny and change his contract, our redevelopment would have been far further progressed.
now i am not calling for terry to be sacked, but at the start of the year, miller stressed to the board that we should extend terrys contract. wtf, doesnt miller learn anything. sure we are going ok now, but what if we get the spoon again next year?

if we keep on improving and make finals next year, and terry has us playing well, im all for extending his contract, but after his 5 years, not after his 3 years.

miller was a control freak full stop, and was a bad and bad administrator. as soon as his powers at the club were being weakened, he obv couldnt handle it, and hence has been axed. im sure there are many many valid reasons to his sacking, and the club does not have to explain to anyone its actions
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:12:46 AM »
why should greg get sympathy

lets look at something form another angle.  it was miller and miller alone who was ensured daddy the dud had his performance based clause taken away from his contract. we had to put up with 2 years extra hell under danny which set us back , way back behind the pack. if miller didnt back danny and change his contract, our redevelopment would have been far further progressed.
now i am not calling for terry to be sacked, but at the start of the year, miller stressed to the board that we should extend terrys contract. wtf, doesnt miller learn anything. sure we are going ok now, but what if we get the spoon again next year?

if we keep on improving and make finals next year, and terry has us playing well, im all for extending his contract, but after his 5 years, not after his 3 years.

miller was a control freak full stop, and was a bad and bad administrator. as soon as his powers at the club were being weakened, he obv couldnt handle it, and hence has been axed. im sure there are many many valid reasons to his sacking, and the club does not have to explain to anyone its actions

well said.
and you could also add brian waldron to the possible replacements of miller.

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:17 AM »
i couldnt support Schwab or Waldron coming back to Richmond

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »

Looks like a lot of things are happening in the club atm Ramps that supporters are not liking. Who knows at the end of all of this we could have Schwab as HOO, Sheeds as coach, Frawley as PR manager and Kane Johnson still as our captain and there is nothing we can do about it! Off Field at the moment we are like a fully loaded Semi-Trailer without brakes heading downhill with Charles Manson at the wheel!  :scream

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »

Looks like a lot of things are happening in the club atm Ramps that supporters are not liking. Who knows at the end of all of this we could have Schwab as HOO, Sheeds as coach, Frawley as PR manager and Kane Johnson still as our captain and there is nothing we can do about it! Off Field at the moment we are like a fully loaded Semi-Trailer without brakes heading downhill with Charles Manson at the wheel!  :scream

why are we ,is it just because we got rid of miller.
its not like we are playing for a premiership because of him or anyone else at the club.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »

why are we ,is it just because we got rid of miller.
its not like we are playing for a premiership because of him or anyone else at the club.

dereel, IMO Miller is just the start. I feel there will be more unpopular decisions to come and all these changes, for better or worse create a degree of instability just when we need stability with the onfield group finally coming together.