Author Topic: Defiant Wallace backs Tigers captain (The Age)  (Read 1060 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Defiant Wallace backs Tigers captain (The Age)
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »
Defiant Wallace backs Tigers captain

Staff Reporter | May 22, 2009 - 11:36AM

A defiant Terry Wallace has strongly defended Tigers captain Chris Newman amid suggestions he should step down after delivering a message from players that they wanted Wallace removed as coach of Richmond.

Wallace today held his first press conference since it was incorrectly reported on Tuesday he had been sacked as senior coach.

He told reporters today there was no rift in his relationship with Tigers captain Chris Newman and his leadership team of players.

Wallace confirmed conversations had taken place with Newman on Monday, but declined to divulge what they were about.

"Whether they are private conversations after the game on Sunday, whether they are private conversations between me and my captain, whether it's private conversations at our team meeting on
Tuesday ... they are private conversations," Wallace said.

"The week started with a non-story which became a story ... people have been reading things into everything all week."

Asked about his conversation with Newman, who reportedly told Wallace on Monday that players wanted him removed, he said: "That's up to Chris to answer."

"It was a private conversation and we shook hands at the end of the conversation," he said.

He said it was "outrageous" to suggest that Newman should stand down as captain.

"He's been asked to step down on the background of private conversations he'd had with me," he said.

"I'm sitting here saying I've taken no offence to things that Chris Newman has spoken about.

"Chris Newman's been very unfairly tainted in this whole situation.

"I put him in as part of the process of the club, the players backed him as captain, and I had a part in that decision.

I'm rapt with the job he's doing as captain."

Asked about the club's leadership group, Wallace said: "I've got every confidence in the senior group, that's why we had our meeting on Tuesday and that's why we continue on."

Asked about Tuesday's meeting with players and club officials, and whether there was any lingering bad blood, Wallace said: "We resolved everything we needed to on Tuesday and we moved on.

"When you're sitting at a record that we're at, everything is serious because you're losing games of footy - it's a big industry, it's important to people."

He said he and every other person at that meeting had the best interest of the club at heart.

"All we were trying to do is say, 'OK it's not working, what can we do, can it work or can't it work, let's get on the same page'.

"I've seen it happen as a player in losing environments, I've seen it happen as an assistant coach and now
I've seen it as a senior coach. It's just the reality of life."

He said people had read too much into his absence at Tuesday's training session as speculation swirled that he had been sacked.

"Virtually all I missed was a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon," he said, downplaying the importance of the training session.

Wallace said it was impossible to respond to all the rumours and reports that had swirled around the club this week.

"We can't as a football club sit back and say 'That's right, that's not right, that's a private conservation'.

"When things blow up like this, you can't give answers to everything they want."

Speaking ahead of tomorrow night's blockbuster Dreamtime at the 'G match against Essendon, Wallace said the Tigers were determined to post a win against the Bombers.

The Tigers have won one of their first seven matches, and last week suffered a narrow defeat to Port Adelaide after a nail-biting final quarter at AAMI Stadium.

"You're talking about a game of millimetres here," Wallace said of the club's recent losses.

"We had a couple of instances in the Port Adelaide game where things are just marginally different and you don't get the results."

"We're not talking about 90-point losses, we're just talking about tricking things up to get the results."

Wallace said he understood supporters were probably frustrated with the turmoil at the club this week but pleaded with fans to come along tomorrow and support the Tigers.

"The week in its entirety, it shows the resolve of the playing group that we're not far away at all in an interstate venue, but (tomorrow) we have a really big challenge on our hands with a fantastic side.

"We're hoping as big a week as what it is and probably how frustrated our supporters get with Richmond's lot, we hope they all come along and see our resolve and see how the players handle the occasion."

"I've seen it happen as a player in losing environments, I've seen it happen as an assistant coach and now I've seen it as a senior coach. It's just the reality of life."

He said people had read too much into his absence at Tuesday's training session as speculation swirled that he had been sacked.

"Virtually all I missed was a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon," he said, downplaying the importance of the training session.

Wallace said it was impossible to respond to all the rumours and reports that had swirled around the club this week.

"We can't as a football club sit back and say 'That's right, that's not right, that's a private conservation'.

"When things blow up like this, you can't give answers to everything they want."

Speaking ahead of tomorrow night's blockbuster Dreamtime at the 'G match against Essendon, Wallace said the Tigers were determined to post a win against the Bombers.

The Tigers have won one of their first seven matches, and last week suffered a narrow defeat to Port Adelaide after a nail-biting final quarter at AAMI Stadium.

"You're talking about a game of millimetres here," Wallace said of the club's recent losses.

"We had a couple of instances in the Port Adelaide game where things are just marginally different and you don't get the results."

"We're not talking about 90-point losses, we're just talking about tricking things up to get the results."

Wallace said he understood supporters were probably frustrated with the turmoil at the club this week but pleaded with fans to come along tomorrow and support the Tigers.

"The week in its entirety, it shows the resolve of the playing group that we're not far away at all in an interstate venue, but (tomorrow) we have a really big challenge on our hands with a fantastic side.

"We're hoping as big a week as what it is and probably how frustrated our supporters get with Richmond's lot, we hope they all come along and see our resolve and see how the players handle the occasion."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2009/05/22/1242498907125.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

Re: Defiant Wallace backs Tigers captain (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »
I'm not sure I would have been that charitable to Chris.
I think TW is a great person, despite what he's like as a coach.
Never thought I'd ever say that.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
Whatever you say about Wallace he is a professional who is putting the club first over his own pride and anger. Many coaches would have dropped Newman and his supporters from the team this week in response to their actions towards him but TW knows that will divide the team.

Some people like to belittle TW character and actions to liken him to the antin-Geez at times but I respect the man for his professionalism something we often lack at Tigerland.

Stripes

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
I respect the man for his professionalism something we often lack at Tigerland.

Stripes

Pity he is not a Coach's bootlace.

:outtahere

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 01:26:35 PM »
terry is a pro and knows how to talk to the media
so what he is saying, newman is all cool, sugar aint soi sweet

either way, terrry as a coach has failed, who cxares what he is like as a person

i would not care less if we had a total prick as a coach, as long as he could coach

leigh matthews by all accounts is not the nicest coach and very hard, but he can coach

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
We want players with loyalty, professionalism and character to form a unified team. It is obviously missing in some of our key players, hopefully it is there in our developing leaders. If so, Terry's actions here are a crucial lesson to our list about integrity.

Regardless of what you think about his coaching TW has come out the bigger person here.

Stripes

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »

either way, terrry as a coach has failed, who cxares what he is like as a person

i would not care less if we had a total prick as a coach, as long as he could coach

leigh matthews by all accounts is not the nicest coach and very hard, but he can coach

Terry cant coach. Do you think those players can play?

Do you really think a new coach is going to walk in and get those sooks to play good footy?

How long have you been a supporter for? Clearly you only started going to games because this has been going on for 30 years, and Wallace has only been coaching for 5.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:24:32 PM »

Do you really think a new coach is going to walk in and get those sooks to play good footy?

How long have you been a supporter for? Clearly you only started going to games because this has been going on for 30 years, and Wallace has only been coaching for 5.

been a tiger fan for 2 day lol  :wallywink

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »

Correct

And hopefully a few others around the club are taking note and taking lessons from him on how to handle the media because TW at times seems like the only one who has clue on how do to it  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Business as usual, says Wallace (RFC Site)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 02:32:24 PM »
Business as usual, says Wallace
By Mic Cullen 2:03 PM Fri 22 May, 2009

THE message from Richmond coach Terry Wallace as the team prepares to face Essendon in the Dreamtime at the 'G match on Saturday night is that it is business as usual at Punt Rd.

Wallace met with members of the football department and senior players on Tuesday morning, an event that led to wild and sustained speculation that he had been sacked, and he admitted that such a meeting could have turned out very badly for him.

"You go into a meeting when you're sitting in a 1-7 scenario with a group of people to try and sort out what needs to happen, and sometimes, what needs to happen might be your position might need to happen," he said at Punt Rd on Friday.

"You never know where things go.

"You go in with an open mind – if I go in saying 'I'm not prepared to deal with anything, it's my way or the highway', well, probably you're going in knowing where things are going to finish.

"But if you go in being reasonable about it…"

Wallace said that such meetings were a regular part of club life.

"We organised to get a meeting convened for Tuesday, which clearly the press found out about, but also built it up to be something it wasn't.

"We decided to discuss a few aspects of the club, which is not as unusual as some people think it is – you regularly meet, whether you meet onside or offsite, and you do both.

"It's happened quite a bit over my time at the footy club.

"We wanted to align ourselves – we knew we were going poorly, we knew we had lost games, probably two out of the last three, which we believed were winnable games, and we just wanted to get a couple of things right.

"That was it – on Tuesday when we stepped away, where I sat with things was that everything was right to move on, and that's what we've done as a club.

"But clearly, from a media point-of-view, it's been difficult to do so."

The coach said the problem with Tuesday's meeting wasn't that it happened, but that it ran long because it was kicking goals.

"We made a choice and made a decision on Tuesday that we wanted to move forward.

"The meeting went longer than we expected –we were coming back for training but we got to the stage where the meeting was going well in that we wanted to work out the things that needed to be worked out to move us forward.

"We thought that was more important than what was basically a skills session for the footy team, so we kept going."

Wallace said he made a commitment to stay at the club several weeks ago and that nothing had changed, and that he was determined to continue in his job leading the Tigers as long as the club desired.

"It's my job, and that's where it sits.

"I said to the Richmond footy club that I would do what they want in all of this.

"I'm on the record as saying that if Richmond at any stage feel that they want to move me on, for whatever purpose or whatever reason, if they want to change where it's at, I'm comfortable with that.

"I want to do what's right for Richmond.

"It's up to the decision-makers about where we're at and what's going on at any point in time – we had the decision-makers in that room on Tuesday, and clearly the decision-makers, at this point in time, want me to continue the job as senior coach."

Richmond football manager Craig Cameron confirmed earlier this week that Wallace’s position would be reviewed during the split round, which starts in a fortnight.

for richmondfc.com.au

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/77381/default.aspx

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

best and only descent coach we have had is John Northey

3 years only and was pushed out because they didnt want to pay him but then some on here would say the reason was something different.

second last to 9th to 4th.

Thats progress not what Plough has done

12th
9th
last
9th
currently ???????????

we have gone backwards since this fool took over.

He topped up with idiots like Kingsley, Knobel, Graham and Bowden and recruited fools like Patterson, Hughes, Mcmahon, Hislop and Thompson.

This has cost us dearly. Look at the dees and how well they are going. Just one top up over there Maloney.

TERRY HAS SCREWED US FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS AND IDIOTS LIKE JACKSON AND MILLER DITTO
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »
best and only descent coach we have had is John Northey

3 years only and was pushed out because they didnt want to pay him but then some on here would say the reason was something different.

second last to 9th to 4th.

Thats progress not what Plough has done

12th
9th
last
9th
currently ???????????

we have gone backwards since this fool took over.

He topped up with idiots like Kingsley, Knobel, Graham and Bowden and recruited fools like Patterson, Hughes, Mcmahon, Hislop and Thompson.

This has cost us dearly. Look at the dees and how well they are going. Just one top up over there Maloney.

TERRY HAS SCREWED US FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS AND IDIOTS LIKE JACKSON AND MILLER DITTO
Is Tom Hafey the coach of our team of the century? 4 flags? Terry is coming out the winner here and as each day goes by it just goes to show how terribly undermined Terry must have been from the moment he walked into the club!

edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:19:44 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »

well we'll never know my ol mate until such a time  we hand over the reigns to someone else...we know one thing for certain the TW way aint working :-\
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 11:44:37 PM »

well we'll never know my ol mate until such a time  we hand over the reigns to someone else...we know one thing for certain the TW way aint working :-\

We all know that Wallace is finished. Thats no longer the point.

The point now is not even who we pick as the next coach. One bloke aint going to undo 30 years of disappoinment and decline.

If you think for a second Clarkson won that premiership on his own, you havent been paying attention. There were blokes above him and around him that held his hand, and those bloke dont exist at our club. 

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

Regardless of what you think about his coaching TW has come out the bigger person here.

If he was a bigger person he'd have put his personal situation aside, done what's best for the club & walked before now.
None of this crap that blew up would have come to a head.
He is only staying put because his reputation as a quitter precedes him but it's not healthy for him, the players or anyone else.