Author Topic: Dean Laidley steps down as Kangaroo coach  (Read 1746 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Dean Laidley steps down as Kangaroo coach
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
BREAKING NEWS: KANGAROOS coach Dean Laidley has coached his last game for North Melbourne. Asked this morning if he had offered to step aside, Laidley told Herald Sun online: "What you're saying is correct. We've come to an agreement."

MORE TO COME

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25643836-19768,00.html
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dean Laidley steps down as Kangaroo coach
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »
BREAKING NEWS: KANGAROOS coach Dean Laidley has coached his last game for North Melbourne. Asked this morning if he had offered to step aside, Laidley told Herald Sun online: "What you're saying is correct. We've come to an agreement."

MORE TO COME

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25643836-19768,00.html

Roos are in deep scheizen.

They have been bravely treading water for the last few years as there is no knowing how bottoming out would affect their membership.

Wouldn't have thought it would be a very attractive place to coach.

Con65

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:01:43 PM »
Only 17 jobs in existence atm...

Only 2 vacancies...possible another to come (Port)...

If you want to be a coach...cant wait for the plumb job...might have to take what you can get (Unless you are hot in demand like Buckley, Sheeds in his prime, Malthouse in his prime etc).

Pagan may go back and do it.  Ayres might promise the Roos a premiership in 3 years...quicker than the one he promised to the tigers...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
TW moving aside was bound to cause an avalanche. North won't be the last either. Does make our job of securing the best coach more difficult but as you have all stated, the Tiger job would be a better job that the North position at this stage but then again wasn't it meant to be better than the Dogs and Hawks back in 2004????

Interesting

Stripes

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Interesting, we may need to move a bit quicker without compromising the process though on our Coach. I would hate to see Bucks go to North and Hardwick to Port before we even have the full selection panel assembled. Williams will be next.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »
I agree WAT .....Port Adelaide and Williams looks like a marriage on the rocks.

99.9 % probability he wont be there next year.

Unfortunately you get the feeling Port would be Hardwicks first choice.
Unleash the tornado

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
Darren Crocker is caretaker coach. One of Spud's assistants at RFC.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78886/default.aspx

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
I agree WAT .....Port Adelaide and Williams looks like a marriage on the rocks.

99.9 % probability he wont be there next year.

Unfortunately you get the feeling Port would be Hardwicks first choice.

Agree

I reckon Williams will be the last of the coaches to go

Of the other 4 coming out of contract (Thompson/Cats, Worsfold/Eagles, Eade/Dogs, Malthouse/Pies) - can see all of them being re-signed over the next few weeks

Hardwick would be favoured for the Port job, although I wouldn't be surprised if Laidley goes after that one  ;D

Buckley because of his ties to Eugena Rocca - may show more interest int he North gig

Whatever happens, happens although I don't think Williams would be a good fit at the RFC...

Let the fun & games begin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
And this is what I am talking about!!! :banghead. Watch this we will be left out in the cold yet again because we stuff around so much making decisions.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25644290-19742,00.html

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
Motlop's out for eight weeks or so with a broken ankle which wont help Port's on field performance. 

With Williams having a June 30 clause on the coaching role its going to get interesting in coaching circles for sure.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
Hardwick would be the running favourite for the Port Adelaide job if it becomes available
I would think Buckley would favour Richmond over North, but even if he goes there then Hinkley is still available and one of the preferred candidates.

However, just like the new Director of Football appointment, we'll probably follow March & Free's process and end up just promoting internally  :banghead :banghead :banghead

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
And this is what I am talking about!!! :banghead. Watch this we will be left out in the cold yet again because we eff around so much making decisions.

So are you suggesting WAT that we sign Buckley because he may go for the North job  and we should just give him the tiger job because he is Buckley?

The Club have to get this appointment right and making kneejerk decisions based on what other clubs may or may not be doing is one of the reasons we are where we are today

The Club have a process (BTW hate that term) they should see it through and ensure we get the right person

As I said previously, let's not get seduced by the names, lets get the absolute right person

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:02:56 PM »
And this is what I am talking about!!! :banghead. Watch this we will be left out in the cold yet again because we eff around so much making decisions.

So are you suggesting WAT that we sign Buckley because he may go for the North job  and we should just give him the tiger job because he is Buckley?

The Club have to get this appointment right and making kneejerk decisions based on what other clubs may or may not be doing is one of the reasons we are where we are today

The Club have a process (BTW hate that term) they should see it through and ensure we get the right person

As I said previously, let's not get seduced by the names, lets get the absolute right person

No WP I am not saying that, please read my first post where I said we do not want to compromise the "process", it just seems every time we need to get a coach there are more clubs for the new coaches to select. Remember 5 years ago, Wallace, Clarkson and Eade, then I think Freo had a heap to choose from and got Harvey.

It would have been nice to be the only club coachless at the end of the year with a lot of coaches to select from but there looks like being 3-4 again. So if we screw up this time then in about 3-4 years we will get another go and so wil everyone else.

What I am saying is that we need to hasten the way we work, get this panel together, go through the process, select the coach and let him coach the last 3-4 weeks of the season. I am sure clubs will release assistants if they are going to get full time coaching jobs and if not then sign them up with the agreence that after the club that they are leavings final game we get them. Try something out of the ball park for Christs sake.

We have announced that our coach will be selected one week after our season end, well 2 of those coaches could be gone by then.

We seem to take a long time selecting our coach, maybe thats the problem.

"Rucks:

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
It would have been nice to be the only club coachless at the end of the year with a lot of coaches to select from but there looks like being 3-4 again.

With 7 coaches coming out of contract this season there was always going to be at least 3 jobs up for grabs

What I am saying is that we need to hasten the way we work, get this panel together, go through the process, select the coach and let him coach the last 3-4 weeks of the season. I am sure clubs will release assistants if they are going to get full time coaching jobs and if not then sign them up with the agreence that after the club that they are leavings final game we get them. Try something out of the ball park for Christs sake.

We have announced that our coach will be selected one week after our season end, well 2 of those coaches could be gone by then.

We seem to take a long time selecting our coach, maybe thats the problem.

By wanting to "hasten the way we work" you are, by definition threatening to compromise the process.

There is absolutely no way the coach for 2010 will coach any games in 2009 and nor should they.  Again it would simply look like we are panicking and not doing our due dillegence, it actually makes us look reactionery again

The club haven't said they will select the coach the week after the season finishes, what they have said they want to announce it after the season finishes - there is a clear and distinct difference.

The coaching landscape still has many unanswered questions and until all the positions become clear, it would be foolish to make a decision.

Hypothetically, what happens if we appoint Hardwick next week and Malthouse or Williams become available the week after?

IMO Buckley will not commit to any team until he knows what the situation is at Collingwood

I would rather take some time and get the appointment right than rush into making a decision that results in us sitting here in 3-4 years time saying "we stuffed again and we have to start again"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
Well the Hawks stuck to their 'process' and were the last to sign a coach (Clarkson) in 2004. It didn't do them any harm in the long run.

As far as North goes there a few former Roo players available - Longmire, King, Rawlings and Crocker. If they wanted to make a choice purely on generating publicity for their club rather than a coach then let them pick Carey. In the words of Tim Goosage that would rock the footy world lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd