Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 557940 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1155 on: July 31, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
and Hird's left nacker
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1156 on: August 01, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
If Hird gets out of this clean I'll give up footy.

How can all these people resign, people lose there job, but the coach that implements the suppliments program still has a job. How does he live with himself?
How does sleep at night?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1157 on: August 01, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »
Me too

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1158 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
I've only got one question to every Essendon person out there, especially those that are still in denial....

If Matthew Knights was Essendon coach & this story broke, would he still be Essendon coach?

The club that keeps giving.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1159 on: August 01, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »

How can all these people resign, people lose there job, but the coach that implements the suppliments program still has a job. How does he live with himself?
How does sleep at night?

'Cos he's the golden Dumbo........and he's the one getting rid of them
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1160 on: August 01, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
Yeh.I'm out too

Crooked dogs
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1161 on: August 01, 2013, 05:16:43 AM »
The Robinson interview: what he said ...

By Mark Macgugan
afl.com.au
9:25pm AEST Wednesday, July 31, 2013

IN AN extended, paid interview with the Seven Network on Wednesday night, Essendon's former fitness boss Dean 'The Weapon' Robinson has opened up on the club's controversial supplements program.

This is what he had to say.

On his mental health and having suicidal thoughts:
"It makes me angry. It makes be sad. It makes me depressed in times. And were times, yeah, where it made me suicidal. And the only thing that pulled me up was seeing my little girl, looking at her. I'd chosen the knife. I knew how I was going to do it. The only thing that stopped me was my little girl. That's how close I was. I just thought, 'I can't go there, because I've got four kids relying on me, and I can't let them down.' That's where it was at. So this has taken its toll. The impact on my family has been the worst."

On being stood down on February 5, when Essendon self-reported to the AFL:
"Danny Corcoran basically marched me to my office, basically kicked me out onto the street, and I had to get my wife to come and pick me up. They haven't spoken to me since I left ... since I was marched out.

"I was brought in and told, 'You're being stood down pending the outcome of the investigation. Allegations have come to light.' What allegations? What have I done? I still don't know. And no one has called me, no one has talked to me, no one has wanted to interview me from the club? Why? To protect. To make a scapegoat. I'm being thrown out by Essendon to protect their favourite son. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out why they'd want to do that, but is it fair? No."

The hidden costs:
"To have a $60,000 invoice put on your desk that didn't come to me, that actually went to the CEO Ian Robson, was a shock. And then when we did the investigation into why that was the case, it was found Steve [Dank] was keeping the invoices to himself. He said it was for amino acids. I said, 'What amino'. He said, 'It was just amino'. He wouldn't give me the answer. I do not know what this amino acid is to this day. I wish I did."

On Danny Corcoran:
"I was threatened that I'd be ruined by Danny Corcoran. He said, 'You resign or we'll destroy you.'"

When did that happen?

"In September, after all the injuries. He was blaming me for all the injuries."

On the mid-season fade-out:
"[The injuries] were equal all the way across the year. They didn't change. You want to know why we collapsed? The reason we collapsed is James [Hird] said, 'We're pulling back everything.' We didn't do any cardiovascular conditioning, we couldn't lift properly. So we lost fitness. We didn't lose games at the end because we had injuries. We lost games because we couldn't run."

On his responsibility to the players:
"There is remorse for the 18-year-old kids, because maybe they can't make their minds up. It's a moral question that we're talking about here. And it's a dilemma. Should we have been more protective? Maybe. But the leadership group didn't have an issue with this. Only one player didn't want to be involved – David Zaharakis. And that was fine. It was his personal choice ... I wish the culture at the club was there that was a lot better."

Do you blame yourself for that culture?

"I followed the directive I was given by the head coach. That was what I was there for. Now maybe I should have been a bit more dictatorial and pulled it all back. I did this year when I got asked to investigate the supplements we were using and what would help me during this coming season. Danny Corcoran asked me to do that, and I said no. I stripped it right back. I didn't even give them protein powder this year. And I was getting heat from everyone, but I was trying to pull it back and get the basics right, because I felt it had gotten out of control. I wanted to get back to the players doing the right things – the right nutrition, the right recovery."

On Hird:
"He's a great player. Take none of that away from him. But at the end of the day, what I observed, what I saw, his actions, the way he has handled himself – I've got no respect for the guy anymore."

Should he be sacked?

"That's for the board to decide. If he was honourable, he'd stand down."

On the Essendon culture:
"James Hird is a legend of the game and a legend of Essendon. His grandfather was the president. There was so much Hird history at Essendon. It was a boys' club. Whatever James Hird wanted, James Hird got. That was made very clear to me. He had his plans for the club, and everyone was behind him. It was hell or high water, it was coming.

"This was more than I've ever seen before. I've seen strong cultures, I've seen strong coaches, I've seen successful coaches. But it was no expense spared. It was 'whatever it takes'."

On Ian Robson (former CEO):
"I told him about the supplement regime and pushing it to the edge. He said, 'I'll put it in my terms. I'm an accountant. At the end of the day, I've got no problem with tax minimisation, but I've got a problem with tax avoidance.' Which says to me, push to the edge. They knew what was going on. This wasn't closed door, secret meetings, the rest of it. It was open. No one was hiding anything, because we didn't think we were doing anything wrong. So they knew from the top of the club, all the way through."

Hird's injections:
"He (Hird) raised Hexarelin with us. There was a conversation that I walked in on between James Hird and Stephen Dank, and I saw Hird get injected by Dank. I said, 'We're not going down that path. As far as I know, Hexarelin…is a banned substance. We're not going there.' I shut it down.

"I can confirm to you that my lawyers have spoken with Steve Dank, and he said he did inject Hird with Hexarelin on 30-odd occasions. First off he said he had none, and then he said he only had a couple. That's a lie. They were weekly or bi-weekly injections. One of the substances he was injected with was Melanotan II. It's a vanity agent. It's a tanning agent, age and fat loss. It wasn't a banned substance. It's a substance you could go to a chemist and buy. Summer was coming, so we decided to take it. I haven't got a good answer to why I did it. It wasn't banned. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. The others were doing it. James wanted something to help him lose weight, and asked if Steve could give him anything. It happened in Steve's office. I'd walk in, and James would be down there, and Steve would inject him."

Did you challenge him?

"No. Who challenges James Hird at Essendon? I tried a couple of times, but I learned pretty quickly it's something you don't do."

Chasing Collingwood:
"He (Hird) wanted me to bring bigger and stronger players to him. He felt they were being out-muscled, and he specifically noted a side that he really wanted to be. He wanted to go after Collingwood, and he wanted to be Collingwood. And he knew the stuff that Collingwood were doing. He said to me that he knew that they were taking supplements that were allowing them to get an advantage, because he knew who was supplying them."

What were the supplements?

"Growth hormone. Over the journey I felt there was inferences from him that we go down that path. I had a phone call while he was overseas telling me about a doctor he'd met in New York, who had this undetectable substance that you could use as a cream for players. And he came back and told me about it again, and said, 'We should investigate it. We should look at it.'"

Essendon:
"It was no expense spared - everything was whatever it takes, and I guess that was the slogan they went with this year, Whatever it Takes, because that was James Hird's attitude. I think the supporters are good people. I think the players are good people. I think the management of the club is a disaster."

On Stephen Dank:
"I first met him in 2004 when I was working with (NRL club) Manly Sea Eagles. He was a very knowledgeable man. A very smart man. I would have called us mates. I trusted the guy openly and honestly. I trusted him with my pregnant wife, and her supplementation and health. I put my family at risk with the guy, so I think you can see how much I trusted him at that stage."

Robinson said Cronulla used CJC-1295 in 2011, which at the time they believed was not a banned substance. He said Cronulla players trusted Dank.

"James asked for someone to help work in the supplementation, and the name Stephen Dank was the only one I raised. (In his job interview) they (James Hird and Danny Corcoran) put a scenario to Stephen, and Stephen said to them: 'What you're asking me to do is black ops'. I thought it was a shocking question, shocking what they said, but as far as I was concerned, we were never going to cross the line, and I didn't think Steve would either, because in the time I'd known him, he never crossed the line. Black ops means pushing the edge. It's being cutting edge.

"Everything I was involved in, I made sure it was put on the table. I sent emails out with the supplementation that was taking place. Now what happened behind closed doors, there was stuff that I wasn't privy to. I can't talk to that. He (Dank) was paid around about $100,000. The night Stephen Dank got appointed, 28 September 2011, he (Hird) said, 'Bring Steve over to my house. I want to get to know him.' We went over there, and James said, 'You two are in the inner sanctum now.' He explained where he'd been as a player and his thoughts and philosophies."

On his mental health and having suicidal thoughts:
"There were days where I couldn't sleep. There were numerous days where I thought about suicide. Where I've chosen the knife, chosen exactly how I'd do it. I've been within seconds of going and getting the knife, and it's in those moments that I've seen my kids, seen my family, and I've gone, 'If I leave them, who's going to look after them?"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-31/the-robinson-interview-what-he-said
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/live-dean-robinsons-tellall-interview-on-seven-20130731-2qzih.html#poll

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1162 on: August 01, 2013, 05:19:52 AM »
How Stephen Dank and Dean Robinson spun the truth

Carly Crawford
    July 31, 2013 11:00PM

TWO key figures in the Essendon drugs program discussed how some substances could be in breach of anti-doping rules.

Text messages between Essendon's former high performance manager, Dean Robinson, and former sports scientist Stephen Dank reveal Dank assessed the status of banned drugs as "a little grey".

As Robinson went public with his version of events at Windy Hill, text messages from October 2011 reveal he told Dank to check various substances against anti-doping rules.

The pair then discussed referring to contentious peptides by a different name - amino acids.

"Can we just call them amino acids? Or something of the kind?" Robinson says.

Dank replies: "Yes, that is all they are, an amino acid blend."

There are doubts about whether players were fully aware of the nature of what they were being given.

Dank and Robinson believed they were operating with the endorsement of officials including coach James Hird, who insists he had instructed them to keep the Essendon program within anti-doping rules.

Hird, Dank, Robinson and Essendon deny they have breached anti-doping rules.

Sources say investigators have also been told that Robinson himself had allegedly administered injections to some players.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has been made aware of allegations that Dank told some players to describe some drugs as "amino acids".

Dank told the Herald Sun he had never agreed to refer to peptides as amino acids. Robinson did not comment.

There is evidence that Hird did have specific knowledge of at least some of the substances being given to players.

In addition to consent forms stating players were to receive AOD-9604, text messages previously released show that Dank told Hird he had planned to give players Cerebrolysin and Solcoseryl, among other drugs.

The status of these substances is not clear. AOD-9604 is banned.

ASADA is currently finalising its report on Essendon's 2012 supplement program.

It is tipped to be handed to the AFL as early as next week.

It is not clear why Dank and Robinson wished to avoid the term peptides, although both are known to have been eager to keep details of work secret to maintain a competitive advantage over other clubs.

It is alleged that Gold Coast player Nathan Bock had been told a banned substance he was allegedly given in December 2010 was an amino acid.

Hird has also told ASADA he was told a substance given to him was an amino acid. Dank has since claimed publicly that the drug was the peptide Hexarelin.

Robinson has claimed Hird and Essendon official Danny Corcoran recruited Dank to perform a role interpreted by Dank as "black ops".

Essendon says Hird and Corcoran used no such term.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/how-stephen-dank-and-dean-robinson-spun-the-truth/story-fndv8gad-1226689144951

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1163 on: August 01, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »
Dank urged to check on drug legality

Nick McKenzie, Richard Baker
    The Age
    August 1, 2013

Dean Robinson privately urged Stephen Dank to ''check out section S0'' of the world anti-doping code - which covers drugs not approved for human use - before the start of Essendon's supplements program.

Mr Robinson's warning, sent via a text message on October 4, 2011, and recently obtained by anti-doping investigators, is the earliest known concern within Essendon that the club's program could fall foul of the WADA code.

Section S0 bans the use of drugs not approved for medical use, which WADA recently confirmed included the failed anti-obesity drug AOD-9604, which was used on Essendon players throughout 2012 and has never been approved for human therapeutic use.

Mr Robinson, the club's former high performance boss, warned sports scientist Mr Dank that some of the peptides they were discussing ''may fall'' under S0 and suggested they find out if supplements were ''approved by any government agency for human therapeutic use''.

Mr Dank replied that the WADA S0 category was a ''grey area'' in relation to some of the drugs intended for Essendon players. But Mr Dank also texted that he was confident he could navigate the WADA rules in order to stay within them during the 2012 season.

Mr Robinson has told anti-doping investigators in interviews that he attempted to ensure Essendon did not breach anti-doping rules while also claiming that coach James Hird aggressively backed Mr Dank's cutting edge program - which earlier this year was described as experimental and without adequate controls in an internal Bombers' report.

Mr Dank's desire to push the boundaries of what he considered permissible under anti-doping rules is revealed in text messages given to ASADA and the AFL by Mr Robinson.

In a text sent in October 2011, while Mr Dank and Mr Robinson were discussing their plans for the Bombers, Mr Dank informed Mr Robinson that the drugs they were canvassing using ''didn't make the WADA [banned substance] list for next year''.

Mr Robinson texted back: ''I know!'' But he also cautioned Mr Dank about section S0 of the WADA act and texted that ''this area needs more clarity''.

The texts also suggest Hird's willingness to back Mr Robinson and Mr Dank's edgy ideas from the outset.

Late in the 2011 season, Mr Robinson texted Mr Dank to tell him that Hird and the Bombers were seeking information about Actovegin, an extract of calf's blood that is allowed to be used by sportspeople under anti-doping rules but is still controversial.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dank-urged-to-check-on-drug-legality-20130731-2qznm.html#ixzz2aeWJvG2F

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »

How does sleep at night?

Because he believes what the delusional Bombers fans think is true - that he is the messiah, and his poot doesn't stink. He is delusional himself, and incredibly arrogant. And so, any behaviour or conduct which reinforces this belief is ok in his mind. 

Put simply, James Hird has got too big for the club, in his own mind. From the outside, we can now see the results.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1165 on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
Essen-done are like the Freemasons.

All so far up each others arse the whole place is insideout
lmao
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1166 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
The credibility of AFL footy is on the line.
Mark McVeigh has gone from Vitamins which qualified nurses have said aren't injected to whatever he was saying last night. Moron of the highest nature. Once this saga is over they should take his media accreditation of him. Even by their standards he isn't up to it.

Hird is a terrible human being with no remorse.

BTW I'd take Zaharakis in a heartbeat. Good on him yet he was on the "whatever it takes" poster.
The irony was not lost on me.

Burn Essendon Burn.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1167 on: August 01, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Andy mahar and Tim Watson full of shyte

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1168 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »
The credibility of AFL footy is on the line.
Mark McVeigh has gone from Vitamins which qualified nurses have said aren't injected to whatever he was saying last night. Moron of the highest nature. Once this saga is over they should take his media accreditation of him. Even by their standards he isn't up to it.

Hird is a terrible human being with no remorse.

BTW I'd take Zaharakis in a heartbeat. Good on him yet he was on the "whatever it takes" poster.
The irony was not lost on me.

Burn Essendon Burn.

Arghhhh McVeigh, the more he tried to defend the EFC and his buddy Hird the more foolish he looked.

Essendon didn't need anyone "official" on that panel, the had McVeigh

And then to see McVeigh hang Zaharakis out to dry by saying he didn't partake in the injection side of the program because he (Zaharakis) was afraid of needles, then add that there were another 4 players (5 in total) who did the same because they too are afraid of needles but wouldn't name them because it wasn't fair was simply gutless.

Then when Marky McVeigh was asked something along the lines are you saying that if Zaharakis need a painkilling jab at half time he wouldn't allow it, Marky said he couldn't answer  :-\

Have to say the panel were just so non-committal when it came to "whacking" Jimmy, they all stuck together, not one had the guts to criticise Jimmy Hird and that's the most frustrating thing here

Jimmy Hird isn't the victim in this FFS  :banghead :banghead People who love the game are the victims because we continue to be treated with utter contempt  :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1169 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
#standbyhird