Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 557940 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1620 on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
Bombers want to take this to court going by their President's comments today ....

Bomber allegations go way beyond the truth, says Essendon chairman
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
4:57pm AEST Saturday, August 17, 2013

ESSENDON has acknowledged it made mistakes last year but insists the club will not let some of the allegations laid against it this week "go unchallenged".

In his pre-match address to Bombers fans, chairman Paul Little continued to indicate Essendon would fight out of its crisis.

It came only days after the AFL laid charges against Essendon, coach James Hird, assistant Mark Thompson, football boss Danny Corcoran and doctor Bruce Reid for conduct unbecoming in relation to the supplements program at the club in 2011-12.

They are scheduled to face an AFL Commission hearing on August 26.

While admitting the club's errors could have repercussions, Little said the Bombers would search for the truth to be revealed.

"What I can say to you all as football followers is that we are fully aware that mistakes were made, particularly in the areas of management and governance which have now been effectively addressed," Little said.

"However, the nature of some of these allegations go way beyond what we believe is the truth, in particular with regard to the use of illegal substances.

"We cannot let these allegations go unchallenged.

"We owe a duty to our past and current players, supporters, members, sponsors and coaches to ensure that these matters are resolved equitably and in a timely manner."

Although some have speculated legal battles could draw the saga out for months, Little indicated the Bombers want to put it behind them as soon as possible.

Little also backed the individuals at the centre of the scandal.

"We will continue to do everything in our power to see that all parties are afforded justice and to ensure that the eventual outcomes are fair, reasonable and, importantly, reflect the facts, rather than the gossip, unsubstantiated allegations, and speculation and innuendo," Little said.

"The club acknowledges that James Hird, Mark Thompson, Danny Corcoran and Dr Bruce Reid are all decent people of outstanding character, each of whom has contributed positively not only to our club but to football in general.

"At all times these four individuals believed that any and all of the supplements used were compliant with the AFL's anti-doping code and ASADA and WADA regulations, as well as being in no way injurious to players.

"But again, let me be clear, not just to the Essendon faithful but to the Australian football public, there were shortcomings in internal management of the club and inadequacies in supervision of key individuals in certain areas.

"We also accept that these failings occurred at the club and there may well be repercussions."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-17/dons-will-fight-says-little

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1621 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:05 PM »
According to Ch 7, Hird is now making demands to the AFL:

* Wants the charges not to be heard sooner than two weeks after the Grand Final.
* Independent tribunal to run the hearing; not the AFL commission.
* The Hearing to be open.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1622 on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:33 AM »

See no evil; hear no evil; speak no evil

;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1623 on: August 18, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »

Agree with Jimmy on this

Should be open so there can be no doubt as to contempt, arrogance and disdain he holds the entire competition and its fans in
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1624 on: August 18, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »

Agree with Jimmy on this

Should be open so there can be no doubt as to contempt, arrogance and disdain he holds the entire competition and its fans in
:clapping

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1625 on: August 18, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
The same Jimmy that doesn't want the report to be read by the public  :whistle

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1626 on: August 18, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
The same Jimmy that doesn't want the report to be read by the public  :whistle

The public don't have to read it we can just tune in for 1 hr a day and get a chapter read out by Robbo on AFL 360 and get the real juicy stuff read out every Wednesday night on The Hangar to comply with Hird's request. :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1627 on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
robbo is so pro-EFC, like Tim Watson, Mark fine etc. it is hard not to vomit

some of the crap he talks on radio is  unimpressive

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1628 on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
robbo is so pro-EFC, like Tim Watson, Mark fine etc. it is hard not to vomit

Robbo is okay Tim Watson makes me want to puke.

Finey would be great.

Jack Elliott would be good too. I'd even buy him a pack of limp to smoke while reading it. :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1629 on: August 18, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
robbo/finey/watson are all fools and very biased.

Im amazed Watson still talks about these guys being his friends when they dont know exactly what they have injected his son with.

I would be out for blood if that was my kid, but that's just me.

The fallout will begin with the departure of TBC and if i was the RFC i would target him as a Free agent.

perfect foil for Jack and a perfect replacement for Maric.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1630 on: August 19, 2013, 03:43:05 AM »
THE AFL seems certain to call James Hird's bluff on his demand for an independent panel to hear charges against Essendon, and only after the Grand Final.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-set-to-reject-james-hirds-demand-for-an-independent-hearing-after-the-grand-final/story-fndv8gad-1226699553987

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #1632 on: August 19, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
Demetriou should have made his move the morning after the Jobe interview. Going by the sounds of the interim report, the AFL has no more information now than it did 3 or 4 months ago. It seems that the commercial interests of the game probably prevented the AFL from moving sooner.
In the end though, the decision to get Essendon to play all of it's h & a games before doing anything has ended up causing more harm than good.
Demetriou's management of this matter has been appalling, yet it seems the AFL Commission is backing him. I would love to see Jimmy Hird take the AFL to court and outline the case as to why Demetriou should not sit in judgement of him as part of the AFL commission.
I wonder if Vlad would support an open hearing of that case?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1633 on: August 19, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »
Ch7's Mark Stevens reported that the Bombers are talking to the AFL - peace talks he said

Chairman Little said they will continue to talk to the AFL between now and next week

Tom Browne is saying that Hirds lawyers are saying he is likely to get an extension, EFC hearing to go ahead but Hird likely to be given more time to put together his case. If he gets the extension that won't start legal action

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir