Author Topic: 8 Tigers in All-Australian squad [update]  (Read 8846 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 8 Tigers in All-Australian squad [update]
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
:lol

As much as the masses of Internet people are saying Buddy shouldn’t be all Australian let alone captain there would be twice as many nuffers saying the same thing about Rance (because he’s useless one on one / doesn’t play on the big forwards etc)  :lol :rollin

I think to normally get in the all Australian team a player normally has a few good years under his cap as we’ve seen by the inclusion of Edwards ahead of say Devon Smith or Jack McRae. Especially in the last 2 years we’ve seen first hand how valuable and damaging Edwards can be and this year he’s been awarded for it.

It looks as though the captaincy is now recognition of an exceptional career and no one can deny Buddys career hasn’t been exceptional (as much as it pains us to admit it). To suggest he’s not worthy of All Australian accolades reminds me of those people that fail to except Rance is the greatest  backman since Matty Scarlett.
You would have to be a half-wit to think Rance isn’t AA regardless of who he plays on or who you support.

Buddy has been ok this year but there has been better forwards that should have taken his spot.
I agree being made the captain of the AA side is probably reconistion of a great AFL career but you had better at least been a lock for the side in the first place. Otherwise the whole thing is seen as a big joke.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2018, 05:31:56 PM »
Out of curiosity who are the better forwards in his spot. I don’t like defending the guy but apart from Hawkins don’t think a case can be made for anyone else unless you prefer browns total of 4 goals more across the season but absolutely nothing else.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
I have nothing against Franklin on the side. He's just not captain material. I'm pretty sure he's not even on the leadership group in Sydney and was never in the leadership group in Hawthorn. Franklin also can't take a contested mark if his life depended on it so a change you could potentially make is Riewoldt as CHF and Hawkins or even Brown as FF.

For the captaincy, I think Riewoldt or Dangerfield should have been captain or give Rance the nod again.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »
Out of curiosity who are the better forwards in his spot. I don’t like defending the guy but apart from Hawkins don’t think a case can be made for anyone else unless you prefer browns total of 4 goals more across the season but absolutely nothing else.
You answered your own question. Hawkins IMO has had a better year. He did more than kick his goals, he was a bit like Jack and got up the ground a bit further and was the link between back and forward.

Then there is the Caddy type forwards. I think with Jack, Hawkins and Gunston, that is enough talls.

Again IMO Buddy got in because he is buddy.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2018, 10:40:41 PM »
You answered your own question. Hawkins IMO has had a better year. He did more than kick his goals, he was a bit like Jack and got up the ground a bit further and was the link between back and forward.

Then there is the Caddy type forwards. I think with Jack, Hawkins and Gunston, that is enough talls.

Again IMO Buddy got in because he is buddy.

Yup so it was between him and one other player for the CHF spot who if you compare their numbers will be similar across the entire board. I think it’s fair enough to say you think Hawkins may have deserved it more than franklin but it’s a fair stretch to say it’s absolutely ridiculous that he was picked and that there were many players better than him for that position like some are.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »
Barrett's focussing more on Dusty's tie than Dusty being AA :huh3.

If ... you take a close look at the club tie Dusty wore to the Virgin Australia AFL All Australian dinner on Wednesday night ...

then    ... we're not sure he's dry-cleaned it since it was (possibly) wrapped round his head and in all sorts of other places on Grand Final night last year.   

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-31/sliding-doors-before-the-finals

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
Barrett's focussing more on Dusty's tie than Dusty being AA :huh3.

If ... you take a close look at the club tie Dusty wore to the Virgin Australia AFL All Australian dinner on Wednesday night ...

then    ... we're not sure he's dry-cleaned it since it was (possibly) wrapped round his head and in all sorts of other places on Grand Final night last year.   

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-31/sliding-doors-before-the-finals

Hey Parrot.
If you had to wear it 3 years in a row as an All Australian, yours would be crumpled too.
Only way you'd get an invite, is by getting a job as a waiter.