Author Topic: New 3-year deal between Richmond and Coburg (Age)  (Read 2049 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
New 3-year deal between Richmond and Coburg (Age)
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:51:35 AM »
As mentioned by WP on OER a week or so ago ...

The Coburg Tigers, another team coming out of contract, are also confident of a deal with Richmond for the next three years despite Richmond coming on the front foot and wanting a stand-alone team in the VFL.

Several AFL clubs have looked into the concept of fielding their own team as soon as next season, but it is likely to be a long-term goal rather than a short-term one.

Even then, some VFL pundits believe that by 2014 powerhouse clubs Geelong and Collingwood will have perhaps fallen down the ladder and the trend of becoming stand-alone may have died off.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/sandringham-still-saintly-20110715-1hi12.html#ixzz1SCXkh9Md

10 FLAGS

Re: New 3-year deal between Richmond and Coburg (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »
If this occurs then its a terrible decision. You cant go out on the one hand raising millions of dollars and then make a decision like this, when you have told the supporters a key priority is to have your own reserves team.

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
I thought one of the reasons to raise money was to also have a stand alone reserves team ? ::)

Offline akhoury

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »
If this occurs then its a terrible decision. You cant go out on the one hand raising millions of dollars and then make a decision like this, when you have told the supporters a key priority is to have your own reserves team.

I get the feeling the clubs fund raising didn't go as well as hoped. They aimed to raise $6 million at the beginning of the year. I doubt they got even half of that.

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »
Richmond are as much to blame if people think the Coburg alliance hasn't worked.  The coaching staff have very minimal dialogue with the Coburg coaching staff except for say Tim Clarke who spends time at Coburg.  Other than that Dimma hasn't even introduced himself to some of the Coburg staff, I would have thought that if it were to work then the Coburg people would be made to feel a part of the whole set up rather than ostracised from it.  The RFC football manager treats the Coburg people like leppas, very poor on RFC front they should be more embracing if they want the transition to work for our younger players from Coburg to RFC.

Another monumental blunder from our inexperienced coaching panel, I would imagine that Mick Malthouse would be all over Tarkyn Lockyer and his assistants to ensure they are doing things the same way as him.  RFC and Coburg should be no different, treat it as an alliance rather than a alienation.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:28:23 AM »
I am not saying you are wrong Sugark.

But you cant compare us to Collingwood, they have their own team and they all train at the same venue etc Ofcourse they are going to be better set up or have a better relationship.

You need to compare our alignment to others such as Melbourne, North, Hawks etc

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
I am not saying you are wrong Sugark.

But you cant compare us to Collingwood, they have their own team and they all train at the same venue etc Ofcourse they are going to be better set up or have a better relationship.

You need to compare our alignment to others such as Melbourne, North, Hawks etc

Sorry TFL i have to disagree, regardless of whether they train together or not my point is that the RFC coaching staff and the Coburg coaching staff should be in it together not a division.  If they are fair dinkum about the transition of our younger guys then there is no other way than to embrace rather than alienate.

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Terrible decision with even worse timing. Like a couple have already said, one of the key priorities of the FTF is a standalone side yes? ...and yet within 6 months they go ahead and sign a 3 year extension with coburg? What rubbish - same old bullshitting richmond FC. Taking the pee out of supporters

10 FLAGS

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:57:43 AM »
Terrible decision with even worse timing. Like a couple have already said, one of the key priorities of the FTF is a standalone side yes? ...and yet within 6 months they go ahead and sign a 3 year extension with coburg? What rubbish - same old rubbishting richmond FC. Taking the pee out of supporters

100% spot on. Its absolutely disgraceful if its true.

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
I must say this news has upset me a great deal.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:42 PM »
Absolutely gutted if so.
Go Tigers!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
Reality check guys.  It will take a minimum 1-2 years of planning and implementation to get a standalone side up and running, and that won't happen until we can be sure it can be funded on an ongoing permanent basis (the AFL will demand this before it allows us to do so anyway).  Given that only part of the FTF money is for the standalone side and we are only halfway in terms of timeframe and money raised, then it makes perfect prudent sense to sign a new agreement for 3 years.  Any less would be unreasonable, any more might be detrimental so 3 years seems about right to me.  A standalone side can't possibly happen before then so why not sign the agreement?

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
Terrible decision with even worse timing. Like a couple have already said, one of the key priorities of the FTF is a standalone side yes? ...and yet within 6 months they go ahead and sign a 3 year extension with coburg? What rubbish - same old rubbishting richmond FC. Taking the pee out of supporters

Have you just realised that clubs use up supporters

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »
Reality check guys.  It will take a minimum 1-2 years of planning and implementation to get a standalone side up and running, and that won't happen until we can be sure it can be funded on an ongoing permanent basis (the AFL will demand this before it allows us to do so anyway).  Given that only part of the FTF money is for the standalone side and we are only halfway in terms of timeframe and money raised, then it makes perfect prudent sense to sign a new agreement for 3 years.  Any less would be unreasonable, any more might be detrimental so 3 years seems about right to me.  A standalone side can't possibly happen before then so why not sign the agreement?

If Collingwood were in the same position, it would happen over night

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »

If Collingwood were in the same position, it would happen over night

Rubbish.  You can't change the facts of financial position, logistics, approvals etc.