Author Topic: Preseason 2023 - Richmond vs Melbourne @ Casey Fields, Sat. March 4  (Read 5362 times)

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Preseason 2023 - Richmond vs Melbourne @ Casey Fields, Sat. March 4
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2023, 04:09:55 PM »
Don't place too much weight on practice matches. Never played with the same intensity as games during the season. Also Coaches tend to experiment in these sort of matches. The most I hope out of these matches is no injuries.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2023, 06:29:23 PM »
Exactly you can't replicate the real response from the real deal.

We have mock emergency drills at work all the time, eyes rolling everywhere.

When it hits the fan we get moving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2023, 06:58:43 PM »
[Insert positive spin]

Preseason 2020:

RICHMOND                 1.0   4.0    6.6   6.8   (44)
COLLINGWOOD          5.1   8.1    8.4   13.6   (84)   

https://www.afl.com.au/news/380491/pie-mid-s-injury-sours-big-win-over-tigers-as-cult-hero-returns

[/end positive spin]

;D :outtahere

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2023, 07:12:20 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed defensively is that our key backs do not attack packs with any ferocity to spoil. We rarely have a spare that comes over the top and as a result we get out-marked regularly. Not sure if it’s a team thing to trust each other in 1-1 contests or there is a level of timid mess and lack of confidence?

Thoughts?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2023, 07:19:43 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed defensively is that our key backs do not attack packs with any ferocity to spoil. We rarely have a spare that comes over the top and as a result we get out-marked regularly. Not sure if it’s a team thing to trust each other in 1-1 contests or there is a level of timid mess and lack of confidence?

Thoughts?

I feel like we always had a spare man running off a bloke to create an uneven contest or intercept, less so these days.

Not sure if that's due to the stand rule but it might be. Definitely makes team defence and turnovers harder.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2023, 11:36:26 PM »
This is year three fmd we have had long enough to make good adjustments to rule changes. It is starting to smack of excuse making.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2023, 11:42:34 PM »
That is very true. But I stand by my opinion that the stand rule is the stupidest rule ever introduced in the history of the AFL and without any input from the players, clubs or any trials done at state/any level to boot.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2023, 12:17:23 AM »
Lack of pressure on the ball carrier, inability to defend in our defensive 50 and constantly turning the ball over when we have it - particularly kicking i50 - are becoming hallmarks of our game play for the 3rd straight year.
Practice game or not, it looks too familiar.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2023, 08:57:25 AM »
That is very true. But I stand by my opinion that the stand rule is the stupidest rule ever introduced in the history of the AFL and without any input from the players, clubs or any trials done at state/any level to boot.

:clapping :clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2023, 09:44:55 AM »

:clapping :clapping :clapping

Agree, it makes a visually entertaining fast flowing sport look like trees blowing in the wind for the players on the mark

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2023, 10:53:56 AM »
Lack of pressure on the ball carrier, inability to defend in our defensive 50 and constantly turning the ball over when we have it - particularly kicking i50 - are becoming hallmarks of our game play for the 3rd straight year.

Agree. This game has left me less confident about the season ahead.

I know it’s just a practice game but…

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2023, 11:46:06 AM »
Yesterday [Saturday] was a bit disconcerting, but aside from the usual “it’s just a preseason match” comments there are a few other mitigating circumstances.

1/3: We have had the biggest shift in personnel since 2017, Taranto (who was excellent) was involved in 60%! Of our scoring chains…
.. so essentially our prime mover has completely changed, as has our forward line set ups. Adjustment will be hard.

2/3: the Ds are good, match up well against us and were playing on their 2nd home on a windy day which our guys aren’t used to…

3/3: Some of the base stats like inside 50s were more even than the scoreboard. We won centre clearances and a few other meaningful measures.

All that said, some personal issues were worrying. But twitter is negative enough without listing them!

https://twitter.com/Richmond_TT/status/1632163310283161600

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2023, 12:04:09 PM »
We did improve in terms of our centre clearances but it's not much use if the ball just rebounds out of our forward line.

Won centre clearance by 7✔️

Dees 6 goals from D50 transition needs work  :help.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2023, 02:46:24 PM »
I think it was 2016 preseason against which was port when we were getting flogged and Dimma wanted to end the match early? That ended up being a sign of things to come and yeah to say it was a long year was an understatement

I hope this match isn’t the sign of things to come. Like one eyed highlighted 2020 preseason wasnt indicative of  us. Dimma  in 2020 said the reason why we sucked early was everyone trained in isolation and once we were in the hub we could train together and our style of play really needed that.

Im Hoping it’s just a few tweeks in team cohesion and not a “our whole team sucks skill wise” thing

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2023, 03:07:28 PM »
We will be fine, I'm sure there will be a lot more fight when there's something on the line unlike this glorified training drill.