Author Topic: Footy Classified  (Read 270646 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Footy Classified
« Reply #2325 on: March 12, 2024, 07:51:48 PM »
He's a politician these days isn't he? Couldn't see him moving back to Melbs regardless. Smart bloke though
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2326 on: March 12, 2024, 08:22:48 PM »
A significant pay rise?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2327 on: March 12, 2024, 10:33:39 PM »
'Why are they playing?': Kane Cornes puts blowtorch on senior Richmond players

By Damien McCartney
Nine
12 March 2024

Kane Cornes has taken aim at Tigers club bosses and coach Adem Yze after a lack-lustre opening round showing against the Gold Coast Suns.

Before they even lined up against the Suns, the Tigers were tipped to be facing an uphill battle to play September footy.

Yze last September said he wouldn't "put a ceiling" on his side's expectations for the 2024 season.

But after their performance against the Suns, Cornes said they would be better off blooding youth, and questioned the places of several senior players in the side.

Bombers great Matthew Lloyd suggested a weak roster was a contributing factor in Hardwick's departure last season, despite pushing club bosses to sign Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto from the Giants in 2022.

"I think he would have seen what was coming at Tigerland – he knows the list better than anybody," he said.

"Nobody leaves a strong list that's about to win something, do they?"

Cornes said club bosses should have seen a performance drop coming.

"This was on the cards for two years – I can't believe no one has really seen this coming, in particular the club and Damien Hardwick," Cornes said.

He paid particular attention to the performances of Jayden Short, Dion Prestia, Dylan Grimes and Tim Taranto against the Suns.

"I was disappointed, firstly, in the efforts of some of the senior players. If you're going to get these efforts from your senior players, you've got no hope for the youngsters," he said.

Replays of the weekend then showed Short missing an easy boundary tackle, and then a "rubbish" turnover. Another replay showed Dylan Grimes spraying a free kick out on the full from inside his own 50m line.

Cornes said Yze was facing big calls on not only Grimes, but also Kamdyn McIntosh, Marlion Pickett, Jacob Koschitzke, Sam Naismith and Nathan Broad.

"I don't know why these players are playing. What benefit is the club getting from playing these players?" he posed.

"(Jacob Koschitzke) couldn't get a game at Hawthorn last year – he played 12 games last year in a 16th-ranked side.

"I'm not sure what they thought they would see in him.

"What's the point of playing Pickett, McIntosh and Grimes? Play the youth, take the pressure off the club, do what Hawthorn have done and re-set and go to the draft and re-build from the bottom-up."

Veteran journalist and fellow panellist Caroline Wilson suggested Hardwick was responsible for the Tigers' decline for going all-in on Taranto and Hopper.

In order to secure Taranto, the Tigers gave up two 2022 draft picks – No.13 Jedd Busslinger, and No.22 Max Gruzewski. For Hopper, they gave up 2022 No.34 pick Toby McMullin and the 2023 No.8 pick Daniel Curtin.

Cornes said Curtin in particular – who was picked up by the Crows – would have been a great fit for the Tigers.

"We saw with Clarkson at Hawthorn – you need a strong footy department around a coach who wants to be all-in to win," Cornes said.

"Of course you want to trade to keep winning, but you need some strong leadership to say 'nah, nah, this isn't the time to trade away the future'.

"Curtin would be the one – he's gone to Adelaide highly-rated (and) could have gone in the top three in the draft," he said.

"The others look like they can play."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024-richmond-tigers-rebuild-hopper-taranto-kane-cornes-list-comments/f98cc27d-1b48-40ce-aa08-d0678991891f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2328 on: March 25, 2024, 09:58:13 PM »
Should the Tigers commit to a full-scale rebuild? Or push on and risk getting stuck in no-man's land?

#9FootyClassified | TONIGHT 10PM on Nine & 9Now

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1772188408627986543

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2329 on: March 25, 2024, 11:13:03 PM »
"How motivated could that group that have been there [flag success] be if they know they can't win anytime soon?"

The panel reacts to Richmond's rough start to 2024, and whether the Tigers need to weigh up moving on some of their stars.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1772222381458645107

--------------------------------------------

"I nearly drove off the road when I heard this."

@kanecornes confronts Caro over her suggestion the Tigers have been 'completely shafted' in the fixture, as the panel looks back at her calls on Richmond in recent years.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1772224875702132847

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2330 on: March 26, 2024, 11:19:44 AM »
Just commit to the rebuild. That doesn’t mean trade everyone over 25, it means forget about who’s won flags and just play who deserves to be played

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2331 on: March 26, 2024, 11:56:59 AM »
To add to that, I think everyone knows we will lose a lot of games this year. Let’s atleast lose whilst
Exploring our young talent rather than playing the same old guys who will probably leave at the end of the year

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2332 on: March 26, 2024, 11:59:48 AM »
Getting to a stage for me that I'd consider moving on Prestia, KMac, Grimes, Pickett.

And test market value of Bolton, Graham, Broad, Short

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2333 on: March 26, 2024, 12:28:23 PM »
Getting to a stage for me that I'd consider moving on Prestia, KMac, Grimes, Pickett.

Yes to all of the above.

No man’s land is coming unless we get serious about rebuilding.

I hope those in charge can see this. .

Offline Tiger2022

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2334 on: March 26, 2024, 02:00:30 PM »
Caro said Gibcus has been a disappointment.

Disappointment implies that's he hasn't been playing well....

WTF - What she should have said is that he's been injured.

Honestly, i could do a better job on Footy classified.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2335 on: March 26, 2024, 03:35:19 PM »
It’s disappointing that Gibcus will be entering his 4 year with only 20 games under his belt.
He’s been our only first round draft pic since Vlastuin .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2336 on: March 26, 2024, 03:36:54 PM »
She's an imbecile incapable of articulating her arguments properly which results in her making bizarre statements such as the Gibcus one. Even if she's trying to say the right thing it comes out poorly and she looks like a nuffy.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2337 on: March 26, 2024, 06:27:21 PM »
Caro said Gibcus has been a disappointment.

Disappointment implies that's he hasn't been playing well....

WTF - What she should have said is that he's been injured.

Honestly, i could do a better job on Footy classified.

That's the way you've taken her comment to mean

I took it to mean the injuries have meant the return so far has been disappointing that is the number of games

You obviously missed her comments around our younger players when the 3 musketeers were spruiking lead by Cornes that we had no decent young players coming through? She talked up Gibcus, McAuliffe, Brown to name a few
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2338 on: March 26, 2024, 11:22:47 PM »

How do you test the market without the player finding out, getting annoyed and then forcing their way out at less then their value?

Imo you gotta commit to it strongly or only explore it if a player requests it.

I would think it would be very risky for a player of the caliber of Bolton and I know he has dis detractors on here but short is a very good half back flanker who would slot into most of not all teams. For a graham or broad type I don’t think their trade value is anywhere near high enough to the point where we may be left taking unders if they end up forcing the move.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2339 on: March 26, 2024, 11:33:51 PM »

How do you test the market without the player finding out, getting annoyed and then forcing their way out at less then their value?

Imo you gotta commit to it strongly or only explore it if a player requests it.

I would think it would be very risky for a player of the caliber of Bolton and I know he has dis detractors on here but short is a very good half back flanker who would slot into most of not all teams. For a graham or broad type I don’t think their trade value is anywhere near high enough to the point where we may be left taking unders if they end up forcing the move.

I suppose you'd have to say to those players, look mate, we're on the rebuild and we need to find ways to accelerate the process, you've had success with us at the highest level and we thank you for that, would you consider moving to another club if it was beneficial for you financially etc and if it improved our clubs draft position so that we can look to the future?

For guys like Broad it would probably be their last contract and chance to make some coin. Short at 28 probably his last chance to secure a 5 year deal. Graham and Bolton are younger but Bolton has a shot to secure big $$ whereas Graham honestly IMO he's not best 22 and should be considering other clubs for more opportunity if our match committee wasn't stupid enough to play him whenever he's fit.