Author Topic: Tigers vs Port game thread  (Read 6773 times)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers vs Port game thread
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
I reckon footy is like horse racing! If you make your run too terly then you run the risk of being swamped at the end! We bolted too early and got beat by a class opponent. No shame there when it happens at their home ground.Like the rest of the crew on here, i am bitterly dissappointed but hey, the signs are becoming more positive :thumbsup

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
cant bag joel today, he is a champion and did a job on tredrea that no one could. he would have kicked 12 today if is wasnt for joel

pettifer is not as bad as many think btw

and how about rodan ....he was laughable and very poo

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

We need Joel in the leadership goup. .......telling us about his charitable self......
You don't like Joel as a player but why do you use his charitable work against him in your personal attacks on him?
What has it got to do with how he plays football and how is it a bad thing?

As for him telling us about it, when? Everything I've ever read or heard about what he does has been from someone other than him. When he is asked it's obvious he doesn't want to tell about it.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Why dont we all relax, the Tigers had a real go today.

Can't unserstand we always beat up on our own, if players are not up to scratch they will be sent back to the twos and if they don't fit in the future plans they will be out the door at the end of the year.

No matter how much you slag them it achieves nothing as they often turn it around. Example please put up your hand if you wanted Richard Tambling shown the door a few weeks!   

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

Can't unserstand we always beat up on our own, if players are not up to scratch they will be sent back to the twos and if they don't fit in the future plans they will be out the door at the end of the year.

No matter how much you slag them it achieves nothing as they often turn it around. Example please put up your hand if you wanted Richard Tambling shown the door a few weeks!   

me

he has not turned it around IMO. he is performing at the level i expect week in week out but if you think he has set the world on fire then your kidding yourself.

That being said he has come a long way and to be fair id say he is having a better season that Lids. Im starting to think he along with Foley dont do enough. Foley's tackle in the last saved a goal but THATS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WEEK IN WEEK OUT
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »

We need Joel in the leadership goup "Bravely facing the music" telling us about his charitable self and coming out as he did after round 1 before we went to Geelong and every other time he opens his mouth to say how disappointed all at the club are and how upset the fans are and how awful it is to be where we are at. Come on Joel keep Lloyd to 5 goals and take a mark to repel an Essendon attack at the 27 minute mark of the last quarter and tell us what a hero you are. Blah blah blah you fraudulent and gutless individual.
You seem to have a dislike of Bowden that is almost beyond reason and rationality. Seeing you've raised the issue of guts, out of the two of you I know who the gutless one is. One gives his all, over many years. The other hides behind his keyboard and snipes.Not very heroic, either.

You are right I hide behind a computer and give an opinion not so heroic.
What was I thinking?

Bowden is a legend of this football club who should be allowed to play on for as long as he wants. He should hold a spot in this side at 31 ahead of any young KPP we may have running around for Coburg . Also when he speaks to the media he does so with the most sincerity honesty and clarity and has the interests of the RFC to heart. The way he plays the game and accumulates possessions is so heroic and passionate its a wonder why we have not recruited 22 of him. Bowden is no more of a 1 trick pony than Raines is.

In 2004 2005 2006 in an era of flooding and plentiful possession of the ball to beat the flood and slow and boring play Joel excelled. 2007-08-09 the game has evolved again where the flood is useless and playing on at all costs is the go. Look at Geelong for a quarter and you'll know why. Unfortunantely Joel is horribly exposed there and his courage and strength in playing close to a forward and punching from behind is extremely deficient. That Tredrea mark where Warren kicked the winner Joel was nowhere near the contest and was memrely a few mwtres behind waiting for a spillage. Poor poor poor. The game is passed him by and he should be retired.

Now if people are going to get offended because Joel is the son of a former Richmond Premiership Player so be it.Sitting In the RFC members I can give you alot of examples where Joel's courage intencity and application have been questioned. Now if stating my opinion wrightly or wrongly in opinion is seen as less than heroic b/c I am making it behind a keyboard well live with it. I must say I envy your courage GB for raising this with me for my baffling unrealistic and unprovoked attack on Joel. Must make your Sunday Roast taste even better.

Firstly my Sunday roast was great!
Secondly i too think you are being way to critical on Joel, sometimes you just have to show a little more respect for our champs. Maybe his best has past him but he is still a very important part of our side. Tell me this, why is he still playing on oppositions best forwards, and why is he playing in the backline at all?
Maybe i dreamed this but didn't Terry say Joel's backline days were over?
And today when one of our young, strong, athletic backmen should have stepped up to play on Tredrea it was left to Joel??? Why???
Anyway at least we had a go today, much more enjoyable to watch, even if we didn't get the chocolates.
Maybe our chocolates will come in November! I'm hoping!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
cant bag joel today, he is a champion and did a job on tredrea that no one could. he would have kicked 12 today if is wasnt for joel
Bit of a coincidence that Bowden got on top of Tredrea the same time the Richmond midfield started dominating ports in clearances and contested possesions.
Every time the ball was sent to Tredrea in position, Bowden was soft in the contest and Tredrea kicked the goal.
Just as Port's midfield got back on top at the end of the 4th, Tredrea came right back into the picture.

It's not rocket science.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
Well, I was wrong when I said pre-game that the score could really blow out to ugly proportions with the undersized backline we had. Maybe the wet conditions helped us in this regard. But we did battle on bravely and should have won with cleverer decision-making in those last frantic minutes (hello Mitch).
But my worst fears that Tredrea would be the difference between winning and losing were realized. Thursfield should have been in and double-teamed him with McGuane. End of story. 

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »
Well, I was wrong when I said pre-game that the score could really blow out to ugly proportions with the undersized backline we had. Maybe the wet conditions helped us in this regard. But we did battle on bravely and should have won with cleverer decision-making in those last frantic minutes (hello Mitch).
But my worst fears that Tredrea would be the difference between winning and losing were realized. Thursfield should have been in and double-teamed him with McGuane. End of story. 

How Thursfield is not in this team but you have clowns like Raines running around is beyond me.

That was the difference today
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
Nahas had his breakout game today. Was fantastic as a crumbing forward but even more importantly, applied a huge amount of pressure on Ports backmen. His tackling and run downs were inspirational.

Bling, Cousins and McGuane were excellent in there roles and Cotchin again showed glimpses of brilliance.

Bowden and Pettifer are liabilities and should be removed from the team for Thursfield/Rance(when fit) and Riewoldt. Simmonds and Brown should make way for Patto/Browne/Vickery and Hughes. Brown, like Bowden, has great finishing skills but just lacks the pace now to compete and keep their spots.

I would be happy now if we played all our 2009 games with the same passion and same result....the draft is where our success should be measured this year IMHO.

Stripes

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »

How Thursfield is not in this team but you have clowns like Raines running around is beyond me.

:bow SPOT ON

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »
Credit to our midfield especially with Brogan and Lade dominating the hitouts. Having Cuz, Cogs, Cotch, Lids, Foley, Tucky, Blingers, Jacko, .... that's 8 just there to rotate through the middle. All of our better players were our mids except for Nahas. It was our bookends that let us down today. We just didn't have a tall spine and structure to make the most of chances and defensively stop Tredrea. Both teams had 54 inside 50s yet they had 32 scoring shots to our 24. We also played underdone players so we were dead on our feet in the last 10 minutes of the game. We had kept them to just 1 goal for over a quarter and then coughed up 4 goals in those last 10 mins  :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »

Well said, funny how a few points makes such a difference.  If we had won by a few points it would all be good.

I was just happy the boys had a crack and played tough contested footy.

While I dont believe in the tank I would be happy for us to lose games but give good value on the field.  Then in 2010 we can talk ourselves up with a new coach and see what happens then.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

I agree with you regarding Raines - to say "extremely disappointing" is being nice about it

But regarding Thursfield - have you watched him running around for Coburg lately?

Actually better still watch round 1 again (if you're game) and you will see why he was dropped in the first place, then stroll down and watch Coburg and you'll see why he is still there.

Actually just re-watch the game that was on the ABC against Casey a few weeks ago and see young Jack Watts against him, tunring him inside out and you will get my drift (hopefully)...  ::)

Sadly based on Will's form at the moment he would not have made much of a difference against Tredrea
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
Just a couple of other observations:

Brown - I thought he was good - his work in the 3rd helped get us back in the game

Cousins - just offer him 2 years please! It was vintage Cousins in the back pocket in the 3rd

Cotchin - just class all class

Newman - we have the momentum and are running the lines and we get..... a handball to no-one....  says it all really

Nahas - another rookie gem - we've been very good in the rookie stakes I reckon. He certainly wont be on the rookie list in 2010 - senior listing beckons IMHO

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)