Author Topic: Melbourne based club in trouble (i.e. drugs) - Ch 7  (Read 9180 times)

Moi

Re: Melbourne based club in trouble (i.e. drugs) - Ch 7
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 01:34:09 AM »
No player names can be posted for the sake of the site. Not even jokingly.

Even though you're busting to  :rollin  ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 03:51:57 AM »
No player names can be posted for the sake of the site. Not even jokingly.

Even though you're busting to  :rollin  ;)
:shh  :rollin

ps. I see a Yahoo AFL discussion site which the AFL has no power to shutdown has posted 7 lucky lotto numbers  :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Court extends injunction on AFL drug story
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 04:50:12 PM »
Court extends injunction on AFL story
The Age
August 25, 2007 - 3:19PM

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said on Saturday he was outraged that a patient's confidential medical history could be traded in the media.

An injunction preventing media outlets from further publication of television allegations aired on Friday involving an AFL club and its players was on Saturday extended by the Victorian Supreme Court.

But Demetriou said it was "obscene" that records would be offered for sale and made public.

"I'm just disappointed like I know many other people would (be) that a patient's medical records are being sought to be published and be reported on," Demetriou told Southern Cross Radio.

"I don't think there would be many people who would like their medical records being published - I defy anyone to tell me that's a good thing.

"The fact that there is private medical records of a patient that are being talked about - whatever we choose to say - is obscene.

"We just have to take a step back from this now because we like many others are becoming disillusioned with certain things that are transpiring, particularly post-Braun (allegations against West Coast player Michael Braun), and now this about what our media outlets will do to acquire and publish the story."

Demetriou said he was at least pleased that several media outlets had apparently rejected the private documents, allegedly found on a suburban street.

"This story yesterday was actually offered to many media outlets who chose not to run it which I commend them on, chose not to purchase it, which I also commend them on.

"But the fact that private medical records, which could contain anything in them - forget the drug policy - could contain issues relating to family history or to illness, that actually find there way into the public domain, is honestly at the end of obscenity."

Demetriou said he was becoming "more and more disillusioned" with many aspects of reporting "of this nature" and reiterated the league's illicit drugs policy was working.

"The issue of how they got into the public domain will be a matter for the police, because the said doctor has reported that they have gone missing and that will be a matter for the police to determine," he said.

"And secondly we have a (drugs) policy that is addressing this issue and thank God we've got a policy because it's the policy in this case actually demonstrating how if a player is a positive (returns a positive test to illicit dugs) they get referred to confidential counselling so that they can have their behaviour changed."

He said players needed to continue to subject themselves to drug testing.

"They must because if we take the case that there wasn't any testing, if we were like (several) other sports and didn't have a policy in place then there wouldn't be any counselling and treatment happening.

"At least we've been pretty transparent to say that we've got 25 players who have tested positive who go and get treatment and counselling and it's a real attempt to change their behaviour - and we've seen the numbers come down.

The Seven Network on Friday night made claims relating to the club and players, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

In a special Saturday sitting of the Supreme Court, Judge Kim Hargraves extended the injunction until August 30.

Justice Hargraves said he was "not persuaded" that there was a case not to extend the injunction.

"I recognise that there is argument ... that some aspects have entered the public domain," he said.

"However there is no prejudice to Channel Seven or other media (outlets) of a delay for several days."

The AFL club that the allegations were made against made no comment on Saturday

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Court-extends-injunction-on-AFL-story/2007/08/25/1187462573491.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
Ch 7 said tonight they can't say anything more and they are challenging the injunction next week but that several clubs rang them when word broke out yesterday arvo asking if it was them and their players  :whistle.

Sure players' privacy should be protected but the AFL and clubs must be naive in the extreme if they think medical records relating to drug use could be kept silent and hidden in this mad footy town.   

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 06:16:08 AM »
The woman got $3000 from Ch 7 for the medical files.

Police launch investigation into drug files
Dan Silkstone | August 26, 2007

POLICE are investigating claims that the documents behind an explosive report into drug use by AFL players were stolen from an Ivanhoe rehabilitation centre.

The report claimed that a woman found the confidential medical records in the gutter outside the hospital. She told reporter Dylan Howard that she had not returned the documents because the gate was locked and sold them to Channel Seven — for $3000 — because she thought it was in the public interest and might help the players involved.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/police-launch-investigation-into-drug-files/2007/08/25/1187462590513.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
Word from the OER legal team :thumbsup is that we cannot even mention the Club - even though it has been and was named. The injunction includes not being able to name the team....

So until the injunction is removed we cannot name the club or any players (even in jest as menioned by Mr One-eyed) - If we do we open OER up to a legal minefiled (aka Contempt of court and being shutdown)

Hence why my editing this morning.... wasn't around yesterday to do it... Actually you will find the The HUN link (developing story) has dropped off the face of their site  :whistle for legal reasons

:thumbsup

:cheers

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:19:14 PM »
thats fair enough keeping the site safe from legal action is a good call
this situation is not new but being protected by the football code
l know the name of players who l know have failed drug tests from AFL & VFL clubs
Some players have been delisted from clubs because of involvement with drugs over the last few years
only reason l know this is because of my involvement in football & knowing families of players who tell me alot of private stuff
which of coaurse l have told some others because l'm against the football code for covering up drugs in sport so when the names of players are released to the public not if, those people l told will know already
The AFL should be forced to publicly name any players who use drugs of any type
If it was anybody else outside of sport they would be in the paper in the police report with there name saying they been charged for drugs & jailed or fined blah blah blah
l dont like how the world revolves around keeping the drug issue secret but yet others are exposed there cant be a wrong & a right when using any type of drug
Remember our Richmond player Justin Charles who got suspended for 2 years & was hung out to dry by everyone because he used a steriod to help him recover from injury, you see he never got any chance like these guys
Justin was going to schools doing a drug education program to tell children not to use drugs & his a good guy who made a mistake & he didnot deserve to get what he did yet Ben Cousins gets nothing for playing under the influence of drugs ??? why because his a champion Brownlow medalist & a drawcard he must be protected
Anyway l leave it at that for the time being
those who know me personaly know what l'm talking about here as l said before some players had been delisted for drug use & there are more out there still partying in the last few years maybe its all catching up to them

but as hutchy says his always first in sport ?? his a mushroom  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 11:06:07 PM »
The AFL treat performance enhancing drugs (steroids) differently to illicit drugs. It's the only reason why Cousins got nothing apart from Hutchy stalking him and other players' names are hidden while Charles was hammered from the moment it got out.

FC said a 36 year old male and a 31 year old woman have been charged by police over stolen records.

Offline tigershahash1t

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 12:58:26 AM »
[deleted]

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:30:13 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 04:34:57 AM »
Just a reminder that an injunction preventing public identification of the players, club and other details stands until a further court hearing tomorrow.

--------------------

Drug taskforce probes player
29 August 2007   Herald Sun
Sam Edmund

A HIGH-profile AFL player on the team at the centre of the latest drug scandal has been investigated by police for dealing drugs.

The Herald Sun can reveal the player was investigated by detectives as recently as April amid claims he brazenly sold drugs to clients, including several AFL footballers.

The revelations come days after the AFL was rocked by allegations of widespread drug use among players at the Melbourne-based club.

Det-Insp Steve Smith, head of the Victorian drug taskforce, confirmed the investigation.

"Yes, we can confirm that the drug taskforce received information and that information was investigated," Det-Insp Smith said.

"But it was not taken any further because the information could not be substantiated and (because of) other operational contingencies," Det. Insp Smith said.

Asked if the investigation could be re-opened after allegations of drug use at the player's club, he said: "Absolutely. Any investigation can be re-opened in the receipt of new information. There's no doubt about that."

An injunction preventing public identification of the players and other details stands until a further court hearing tomorrow.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22325752%255E20322,00.html

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
Any discrete hints of the 2?  :whistle
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
Is it the Bulger in my pants.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 02:00:41 PM »
Is it the Bulger in my pants.

You wish.

EDIT: Oh poo.  That flew straight over head for a sec.  ;)
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
Busy week, have missed all this.

Wouldn't mind a PM......

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 04:09:42 PM »
You should come to training. You sit there chatting away about all this and that and an unlikely source just turns around to a friend and says it's whathisname lol :shh. So much for court injunctions. The whole AFL knows the names involved anyway  :whistle :wallywink.