Author Topic: Richmond premiership a possibility, Mick Malthouse says (Herald-Sun)  (Read 720 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond premiership a possibility, Mick Malthouse says

MICK MALTHOUSE,
Herald Sun
20 August 2017

IT’S the most exciting prospect in Victorian sport right now — can the Tigers break a 37-year premiership drought?

In reality, the Tigers are perhaps one or two years shy of their best chance at a premiership. But you never know. History suggests it can be done.

While Richmond has some outstanding players — Brownlow Medal favourite Dustin Martin and captain Trent Cotchin in the middle, All-Australian certainty Alex Rance down back, and Jack Riewoldt consistent up forward — the harsh truth is that very few other teammates are at the same standard.

That’s not suggesting that they don’t have the talent or that the game plan and structure are not sound.

It’s just that in the big games, you need more than those four stepping up

The other top-four clubs ooze class — Adelaide has it both back and forward, GWS right across the board, and Geelong through the midfield.

And Sydney is back to its best, if not better, than last year, fed by the form of Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills who are as good as any young players going around.

I put the Swans in this group because the most vulnerable team in the top four is Richmond, and the most likely team to replace it is Sydney.

There is little wriggle room for the Tigers. Two games left, the maths is easy — two wins and they get a double chance.

Lose one and they’ll be relying on Sydney to lose next week to Carlton at the SCG — an unlikely outcome — and Port Adelaide to lose to Gold Coast.

So what is the big difference between Richmond of last year that missed the finals, and Richmond of this year on the verge of finishing in the top four?

They are handling the ball less and going more direct, which puts enormous pressure on the opposition.

Backing this is up is that the Tigers are third for running bounces, which shows they are taking the game on and carrying the ball more.

Their tendency last year to overuse the football — which forced too many unnecessary turnovers — has been eliminated.

As of Round 21, Richmond has the second-best defence in the competition. Sydney is top.

The Tigers are 12th offensively, which means they don’t win with shootouts. Nor do they win by great margins. They win and lose in a small window.

Remarkably, the Tigers are 16th for possessions and yet are third for inside-50 entries. What this shows is a high level of efficiency.

It can be argued that of the top five sides — now that Sydney has popped into the top four — the Tigers are the most productive, without necessarily needing a big score to win.

Their small forwards have put them into second place for tackles in the forward 50, which is a giant shift from last year.

Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler and Jason Castagna aren’t necessarily dominating, but they keep the ball in the forward line for more scoring chances.
Small forwards Daniel Rioli and Dan Butler have helped change the way Richmond plays.

In finals football, especially this year, sides cannot rely too much on an enormous possession rate, but more on closing down the opposition.

This strategy is a well-learnt and recognised trait of successful September teams.

Efficiency and dependability on defence is critical.

At some stage this year, each of the top eight teams has been exposed badly. Each team has an Achilles heel.

For Adelaide, it’s the midfield. For GWS, its team defence can be shaky. Geelong suffers from inconsistency. And for Richmond, it’s the unknown factor — which team will turn up?

The Tigers’ worst loss this season came in Round 6 against the Crows — smashed 140 to 64.

But that now seems like a century ago.

Since then the whole competition has proved to be consistently inconsistent, defying logic in winning and losing.

Richmond’s most noticeable win came against the Giants in Round 18 — 64 to 45.

One thing is for certain; the Tigers have given their supporters a lot to like this year. The question is, can it be maintained?

History suggests it can be done.

In 1979, Richmond finished eighth of 12. In 1980, we won the premiership — Richmond’s last flag.

Last season the Tigers finished 13th and this year they are on the verge of finishing the home-and-away season in the top four.

Looking back to the 1980 premiership side, which I was a part of, we had a vast amount of experience at the top end — Kevin Bartlett, Francis Bourke, Mervyn Keane and Barry Rowlings.

Importantly, we also had young guns such as Mark Lee and Dale Weightman.

This current Richmond team is making its own mark. It will need to remain focused on a week-to-week basis to achieve its first goal — finishing in the top four.

Then we enter a different ball game: finals.

After the 1980 victory and 1982 Grand Final defeat, the Tigers didn’t play finals again until 1995.

Since then they’ve won just three finals and lost eight, including the sting of first-week exits in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

It seems to be a finals ghost. One which won’t be exorcised until another premiership is won.

I must admit I have a strong interest in how the Tigers fare this year.

When you have shed blood, sweat and tears for a club, and won a premiership with them, you have a lifelong bond to that club.

I was 27 in September 1980. I had been playing with Richmond for four-and-a-half seasons.

My teammates were like brothers. We didn’t necessarily enter the Grand Final as favourite, but there was a quiet confidence among the group.

Playing in a winning premiership team is better than winning lotto.

It’s far more satisfying, for all the hard work you’ve put in and the sacrifices you’ve made.

I will never forget it.

I know first-hand the power of the mighty Tiger supporter — perhaps the most vocal of all AFL supporters! They’ve been denied long enough.

So just be ready to hear three words, very loud and very clear, on repeat, if and when Richmond wins another premiership.

Yellow and Black.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/richmond-isnt-ready-to-win-a-premiership-but-that-doesnt-mean-it-cant-happen/news-story/aa59fdfea9385f6d253592d27157d13b

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Richmond premiership a possibility, Mick Malthouse says (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
This charlatan turncoat thinks we might forget he deflected to the filth, which was bad enough, then decided it was a good idea to coach the cheats!...........

When it comes to footy I  don't forget.
The club that keeps giving.