Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 465531 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #480 on: June 16, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
Has he got a nickname?

I think it's 'Jumpin' Jack'
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #481 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »
from day one he has had the smarts about him, great performance.
lets see where it leads us..

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #482 on: June 16, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »
isn't it funny how things turn out.

i think it was only about 6 weeks ago that we along with the team were all thinking jack will be a great 3rd forward when we get griff and astbury up and running. 

now 6 weeks later, jack has proven himself to be a genuine kpp and the rise of griff and astbury will just make the forwardline that much more deadly.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #483 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:08 PM »
I agree with Dan we need to see one of the other blokes performs well - Astbury gave us a glimpse with 3 goals, but I'd like to see Griffiths get some goals and then Id like to see two of the three get multiple goals in the same game.

wait untill Troy Taylor kicks 6 goals and punched 2 defenders

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #484 on: June 17, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
Richmond's Jack Riewoldt in box seat against Brisbane Lions
Ben Dorries
Herald Sun
June 17, 2010

THERE'S one man in the Brisbane camp who won't be totally surprised if rising Richmond superstar Jack Riewoldt kicks another bag of goals against the Lions on Saturday.

Craig McRae - the three-time Lions premiership player - played a pivotal role in the development of the young goalkicking whiz and says he has the skill and personality to become one of the game's great forwards.

McRae spent three years as development coach of the Tigers before returning to Brisbane's coaching ranks and says the Lions have good reason to be wary of Riewoldt.

The 21-year-old Tiger cub kicked 10 goals against West Coast last weekend and is a surprise leader in the Coleman Medal with 45 goals ahead of Barry Hall (43), Brendan Fevola (41) and Matthew Pavlich (40).

"Jack is up and about at the moment ... he is at the top of his game," McRae warned.

"He has always shown the capability of kicking a number of goals. He is leading the Coleman Medal, so you have got to take him seriously. He is an energetic guy with lots of enthusiasm."

Recruited from Clarence, Tasmania, in the 2006 draft, Riewoldt last weekend became the first player to kick 10 goals in a match since Lions spearhead Jonathan Brown against Carlton in Round 16, 2007.

It's been no surprise that he has been at his best in the last couple of weeks as Richmond emerged from the doldrums with consecutive wins.

Every sport needs a young rising star to captivate attention and Riewoldt has been a dream for AFL promotion this season.

Phil Jauncey, a leading sports psychologist who has consulted to several high-profile sporting teams and athletes, classified Riewoldt a "mozzie" - a player who is at his best when he performs on instinct.

"In the personality traits, according to Phil Jauncey, he is a mozzie," McRae said.

"He is a leader of instinct and a habit creator. He is playing on his instincts at the moment."

By their own admission, the Lions have been the worst team in the competition in the last eight weeks and the clash against Richmond won't be easy. McRae has an intimate knowledge of the Richmond structures and development programs and is sure his former side is building impressively.

"They started the year slowly and you would probably expect that, after the season they had last year and with 14 changes," McRae said.

"Things were going to take a little bit of time to build, but they have hit their straps and now we meet them after they have won two games in a row.

"They have certainly shown some real spirit the last couple of weeks. Their game plan is coming together nicely.

"I've got mixed emotions. There are a lot of good people there and I've got a lot of good friends there."

McRae echoed the thoughts of head coach Michael Voss when he claimed the rest of the season was about effort rather than premiership points for the Lions.

"You look at anything else other than just pure effort at the moment and I think you are a bit naive," he said. "Players have to be accountable for their actions and not make excuses - it gets us nowhere.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-jack-riewoldt-in-box-seat-against-brisbane-lions/story-e6frf9ix-1225880598943

Ramps

« Reply #485 on: June 17, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
I agree with Dan we need to see one of the other blokes performs well - Astbury gave us a glimpse with 3 goals, but I'd like to see Griffiths get some goals and then Id like to see two of the three get multiple goals in the same game.

wait untill Troy Taylor kicks 6 goals and punched 2 defenders

he can start by punching 2 defenders then  ;D

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
McRae has an intimate knowledge of the Richmond structures and development programs

Not any more he doesn't, it has all changed :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #487 on: June 17, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
Hype won't hamper Riewoldt's rise, say Tigers
richmondfc.com.au
By Adam McNicol
Thu 17 June, 2010

RICHMOND assistant coach Justin Leppitsch says the Tigers are confident Jack Riewoldt can stay focused despite talk of a lucrative contract extension.

Riewoldt currently leads the race for the Coleman Medal after booting 10 goals last week, to take his season tally to 45.

The spike in Riewoldt's form has led to suggestions Richmond has taken the first steps in securing its new star -  who comes out of contract at the end of 2011 - to a longer-term deal.

But Leppitsch says the emerging young star is keeping his feet on the ground ahead of the Tigers' clash with the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday night.

"He's got a great attitude, a great personality," Leppitsch said of the Richmond full-forward on Thursday. "I think he takes success very well."

“He more than anyone knows he has to keep grounded and he’s done a good job of that.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96478/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »
A whole new generation of young Tigers about to emerge with the full forward's #8 on their back.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #489 on: June 17, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
I think this game will be a test for him IMO, if he can beat Merrit he really has progressed, to do that I would expect him to kick at least 4 and have a decent number of marks, tackles and goal assists.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #490 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
consistancy is what Hardwick wants from Riewoldt!

Riewoldt will need to start jumping for marks.

other clubs will work out, one on one, he will try to position himself and not jump up for it.

Go Jack!

:gotigers

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
I think this game will be a test for him IMO, if he can beat Merrit he really has progressed, to do that I would expect him to kick at least 4 and have a decent number of marks, tackles and goal assists.

He'll beat Merrett one on one. The question is, will he beat a constant double or triple team.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »
I wonder if jackstar still thinks riewoldt is a hack that isnt good enough and should be traded?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »

He'll beat Merrett one on one. The question is, will he beat a constant double or triple team.

Well if they wan't to tripple team him that will really open the door for Griffiths to kick a bag, Vickery to work forward and if they want to keep Griffiths quiet as well they will have to keep another man behind the ball. That will make it very hard for the Lions to move into their forward line quickly with that many men down back.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »
I wonder if jackstar still thinks riewoldt is a hack that isnt good enough and should be traded?

Gee there were a lot in that line, the same ones in the trade Tambling, Floey etc... line, lets hope more can be proven wrong. I was all for getting rid of Edwards and while he has been off the boil over the past few weeks he has definitely improved this year overall.. lets hope he keeps it going!!

"Rucks: