Author Topic: perfect draft system  (Read 808 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
perfect draft system
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »
I am proposing a new drafting model, and suggestions for amendments are welcome.

The main problem with the draft is clubs tanking for picks which is a taint on our great game.

So I say at the end of rd 11 the ladder is recorded and that is the order for club's picks, except the bottom 5. With the bottom 5 there will be a lottery so the chance of getting the no.1 pick is a 1/5 chance.

IMO this will go a fair way to eliminating tanking. In the first half of the season everyone is still a technical possibility to make finals, so competition will be high for a spot in the 8. After the mid season break and the draft order has been finalised (except for top 5 picks) clubs will have no reason for throwing games away. And this will mean that clubs will play for pride rather than picks, making games much more competitive throughtout the season.

thoughts  :)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: perfect draft system
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
I think the draft system is fine. The problem is the draw.
The only way the draw can be made fair is by having every team play each other twice, once at home and once away. Tinkering with the draft system to compensate an unfair draw will never do it.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
My problem is with all this tanking at seasons end.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »
Bluey I agree with other posters who have mentioned the lottery system. ie; 8 balls in the lottery if you finish 16th, 7 balls for 15th, 6 for 14th and you get 1 ball for finishing 9th. Seems to work for the NBA.

Unfortunately it still wouldn't deter Carlton in their priority pick situation. I don't necessarily disagree with the priority pick, how it's allocated is what needs to be changed.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »
I'll agree with anything that prevents Carlton getting a pick before us. ;D

Agree with you though Fishfinger the draw IS a problem. Can't see why if we have only 22 rounds then the top 8 play each other twice and 9-16 play each other twice, then the AFL can have their say as to the rest.

Oh and let's even up interstate trips for Melb based clubs too.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 05:09:06 PM »
I know what you mean, Bluey. The thread title sucked me in.  :)

I'm getting disillusioned that in the competitive sport I am most passionate about the actual competition is inherently unfair before it starts, that competitors would curb their competitiveness for any reason at all, and that many supporters promote curbing competitiveness. (Then rip into players personally for not performing, but that's another quirky point for another topic).

Your system may be better. I don't know if it would stop tanking though. May curb it a bit, may not.
Not being the best you can be right now seems to be a part of the game now, unfortunately.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott