Author Topic: Coburg vs Northern Blues - Sat. March 24 --- LIVE on ABC TV  (Read 12832 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Coburg vs Northern Blues - Sat. March 24 --- LIVE on ABC TV
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
only watched a fraction of it but boy, turner looked to have a trick or two, if he's made of the right stuff , indeed he has the talent to play senior footy, time will tell :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »
On Turner, the blokes on the radio gave him some wraps, but mentioned that at times his attack on the ball left a bit to be desired.

from those that watched, is that a fair assessment?
There were a number of times especially in the first half Turner would sit back and wait for the ball to bounce rather than attacking it hard, being first to the footy and absorbing the contact. Being his first game I'll give him some slack in case it was nerves and him not being use to playing against bigger bodies. I also noticed in the first half Blue opponents were easily getting around him but by the last quarter Turner seemed to adjust and watch the opponent's hips more to at least pressure some of the defenders into going sideways. He's a rookie for a reason so he obviously has plenty of things to work on if he is to make it. I guess the one positive is he knew how to get to where the footy was and you noticed him enough out there to warrant another game in the Coburg seniors.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:26 PM »
cheers cyclops.

I didnt hear batchelors name mentioned much, ( but then again the bozos doing the call often just said tigers rather than call names  :wallywink)

anyone notice how much game time he got?

i heard him called in the last, so i'm assuming that he didnt play well early, then get rested for thursday.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
2012 Peter Jackson VFL

Coburg Tigers    2.3  5.7  9.10  11.11 (77)
Northern Blues   3.2  5.6   6.7    9.10 (64)

GOALS:
Coburg Tigers: Jordan 2 Derickx 2 Carnell  Browne  O'Hanlon  Contin  Webberley  White  Wheeler
Northern Blues: Heyne 2 McLean  Toman  Marcon  Lambert  Casboult  Jenkins  Thomas

BEST:
Coburg Tigers: McGuane Webberley White Wheeler Jordan Graham
Northern Blues: Gianfagna Meese McLean McCarthy Bransgrove Dale

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v5/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »
cheers cyclops.

I didnt hear batchelors name mentioned much, ( but then again the bozos doing the call often just said tigers rather than call names  :wallywink)

anyone notice how much game time he got?

i heard him called in the last, so i'm assuming that he didnt play well early, then get rested for thursday.
I'm not sure what Batch's T.O.G. was al but I didn't notice him for a period during the middle of the match. When I did notice Batch, he seemed to be playing deeper in defence aligned to one of the Blues forwards. He didn't get as much of it as usual from what I saw but apart from one mistake he was probably one of the cleanest disposers of the ball for Coburg today in poor standard (skill-wise) game.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
yeah, it was that middle period that i didnt hear him called.

I couldnt imagine someone being rested through the middle of the game and coming back in the latter stages if the plan was to play him thursday, so i reckon we can safely discount that.

Gigantor

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »
Went to the game and was over the moon with Eltons performance.This kid has sticky fingers and has courage to boot.To me this kid will play seniors sooner rather than later.
Of the others wright has a good size ,but does appear to lack fitness,and a degree of footy smarts.Hopefully good coaching will help.
As for Dea really liked his game ,provided good run from the back,and you can really tell that he has got some serious muscle  definition now.white and webbs were busy ,however disposal let them down at times.Arnott looks the goods and has a killer tackle but just seems to lack maybe half a yard in pace.
Also really like big brownes game seemed to get better as the game went on,and by the end took some telling marks.
One aspect of the game that seems to be out of control is the number of rotations that take place...Just hate when i see players motioning to the bench that they need a rest..When i was playing you used to run the opposite way when you saw a runner heading your way..Who the hell wants to come off?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2012, 05:53:31 PM »
On Turner, the blokes on the radio gave him some wraps, but mentioned that at times his attack on the ball left a bit to be desired.

from those that watched, is that a fair assessment?

Yes. There was a disappointing play towards the end of the first quarter where he should have tackled and didnt and I will say within seconds he made a terrific second effort and made a strong tackle. He is just a kid in the big smoke so he will learn. He was much better as the game went on and even made some tackles, showed some tricks. Overall I think he was good today. Lots of potential in Gibson and seems to want to do the right thing in a game. One play across half forward later in the game where he kicked around the corner and landed the ball on the chest of one of our players was just outstanding.

There were a number of times especially in the first half Turner would sit back and wait for the ball to bounce rather than attacking it hard, being first to the footy and absorbing the contact. Being his first game I'll give him some slack in case it was nerves and him not being use to playing against bigger bodies. I also noticed in the first half Blue opponents were easily getting around him but by the last quarter Turner seemed to adjust and watch the opponent's hips more to at least pressure some of the defenders into going sideways. He's a rookie for a reason so he obviously has plenty of things to work on if he is to make it. I guess the one positive is he knew how to get to where the footy was and you noticed him enough out there to warrant another game in the Coburg seniors.

I reckon you've both covered it off well.

I thought he showed that has alot of natural talent and ability but it's going to take sometime to pick up the tempo of games. But considering he hasn't really palyed at all during the pre-season I reckon there were soem really positive signs

Just on Piva Wright - he like a lot of kids seems to suffer from I call "react-itis" that is they are very very reactive in situations. Stands back and spectates and those few seconds can be the difference between getting to and making a contest or being half a metre off your opponent who as a result ends up with a really easy/soft possession.

Jayden Post is good example of this and after 3 years he finally seems to be showing signs for getting over it

On Batchelor, I thought he let himself badly with his disposal and decision making at times. I thought he was alot better when he was sent down back.

Arnot needs to keep his agression focused onthe contest and ball, stupid brain fades resulting in 50 metre penalties isn't the way to use your aggression. Also thought his disposal by hand in particluar was average

Thought the disposal by both foot & hand by a lot of the RFC players was very poor indeed. You can generate as much run and carry through the lines as you want but it is pointless when you kick the ball directly to the opposition when under no pressure and gift a tunr over. McGuane, Dea, Batchelor, Arnot were ate varying stages the main offenders 

TBBH didn't think any of the RFC guys played strongly enough to warrant promotion to the AFL
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

TBBH didn't think any of the RFC guys played strongly enough to warrant promotion to the AFL

I agree. Most players did some good, some bad or just were not in the game for 4 quarters. I wasnt really happy becasue I thought we had team depth but it really didnt look that way. Its game 1 so I will give it time.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
how often do our players train with the coburg boys?

ever?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
One thing batch does need to knock out of his sytem is a knack of kicking to a contest, happens way too often
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
was there a free man that he ignored when he kicked to a contest?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »
only watched a fraction of it but boy, turner looked to have a trick or two, if he's made of the right stuff , indeed he has the talent to play senior footy, time will tell :shh

Bojo is the Anti-Jackster  :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
 :lol

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »

Bojo is the Anti-Jackster  :shh

Its Jackstar with an A you clown.
 :lol