Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 881113 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5595 on: May 17, 2022, 08:49:58 PM »
I should have also said the speculation will go into overdrive as well

IMHO Dimma won't be going anywhere

And I pretty confident Dusty won't be either
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5596 on: May 17, 2022, 09:04:02 PM »
Theyre preparing the supporters to get ready to say goodbye to the great one.
Dimma or Dusty?
Dusty

Just remember where you heard it first Ramps
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #5597 on: May 17, 2022, 09:50:33 PM »
Theyre preparing the supporters to get ready to say goodbye to the great one.
Dimma or Dusty?
Dusty
Even stockbrokers get it right once in a while…

Just remember where you heard it first Ramps

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5598 on: May 17, 2022, 10:00:44 PM »
I don’t post on here like a stockbroker bud
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5599 on: May 18, 2022, 01:00:35 AM »
How a blockbuster Dusty trade would get done

As Richmond says it wouldn’t stand in Dustin Martin’s way if he requested a trade, we analyse what it would take for one of the Sydney clubs to lure the superstar north.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-news-2022-keep-up-to-date-with-all-the-latest-contract-signings/news-story/b041f928fe5856e0d4aec7e33ca055f3

It's behind a paywall. Can I ask another favour for someone with access to post what it says?

Sydney would need to hand over Tom Papley and a first-round draft pick to prise Dustin Martin out of Richmond and lure him north to end his career, according to a retired list expert.

The Brownlow medallist is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2024 but speculation continues over his future because of his fondness for the less intrusive Sydney lifestyle.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick shocked the football world on Tuesday when he said he would not hold Martin to his seven-year mega contract.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing,” Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said on Tuesday.

“What he’s given me, us, our fans, he has been incredible and whatever we get from here on in is a bonus.”

Martin spent time in Sydney earlier this year while on personal leave from Richmond as he mourned the death of his father Shane.

Any move to the Harbour City would likely see Martin end up at the Swans.

Sydney insiders have been tight-lipped on a move, one telling News Corp only that Martin is a “bloody good player”.

It is understood cross-town rival Greater Western Sydney would be unlikely to enter the race for Martin’s services because of a tight salary cap situation and a list build that is in a different position to the Swans.

Former Collingwood recruiter Matthew Rendell said Martin would command a heavy price tag at the trade table, with the Tigers ultimately holding the upper hand.

“The first-round pick of Sydney might not be that great. It might be pick 10 at best,” Rendell said.

“That’s why you’d have to throw a really good player in.

“If it was going to come to fruition and I was Richmond, my first port of call would be, ‘We’re taking your first-rounder and Papley’.”

A livewire small forward, Papley is contracted with Sydney until the end of next season but is a Victorian who has long been linked to a move home.

Rival club recruiting bosses surveyed by News Corp said a top-10 pick in exchange for Martin could get the job done on its own given his age, without the need to add a player like Papley to the mix.

Such a deal would give Richmond a third top 20 pick in this year’s draft.

While he has been incredibly durable across his career, Martin turns 31 next month.

With Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin’s career coming towards an end, Sydney is believed to be desperate for another marquee player like Martin to fill his spot.

“I’ve been up in Sydney and sat in the crowd and the majority of that crowd goes to watch Buddy,” Rendell said.

“Dusty would be a massive draw card. I think Buddy will go one more year but he’d be on a lot lower money and they could certainly backend Dusty’s contract, there’s no doubt about that.

“They might think we’re a chance to win a flag with Dusty. He’s got a habit of it. So they’d have a crack and they know they need a high-profile player year-in, year-out to draw members, sponsors and people through the gate.”

On the current ladder order, Richmond already holds two top-20 picks in this year’s draft.

The Tigers have their own first-round selection (currently pick 11) as well as North Melbourne’s second-round selection (currently pick 20) which they secured as part of the Callum Coleman-Jones trade last year.

The fifth-placed Swans currently have picks 14 and 18, holding Melbourne’s first-round pick as part of the Jordan Dawson trade last year.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5600 on: May 18, 2022, 07:28:23 AM »
Sometimes it is best to not be honest Dimma

The rumours will go into overdrive now  :help  :facepalm
agree. Robbo is just rubbing his hands with delight

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5601 on: May 18, 2022, 09:37:01 AM »
Dimma is a dumb campaigner.  Just no need to say this sort of poo in public.  Just stirs up trouble for the club.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5602 on: May 18, 2022, 10:13:33 AM »
Dimma is a dumb campaigner.  Just no need to say this sort of poo in public.  Just stirs up trouble for the club.

Hardwick is just being honest. Dusty has done everything for the club and no one would begrudge him wanting to go to Sydney. Hardwick is just putting it on record that the club values Dusty and his mental health above club selfishness. Being a Richmond man is the mantra.

And what trouble would this stir up?? The noise is going to happen and every media interview from here will have the question of Dusty's future come up. Hardwick's comments reduce the pressure on future interviews with Richmond coaches and players. The question has been answered.

Everyone else can run around worrying about Dusty's future while we get on with the job of winning games this year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5603 on: May 18, 2022, 10:28:02 AM »

And what trouble would this stir up?? The noise is going to happen and every media interview from here will have the question of Dusty's future come up. Hardwick's comments reduce the pressure on future interviews with Richmond coaches and players. The question has been answered.

Cannot agree with you here Gracie.

Yes the question will be asked in every interview anyone from the Club does going forward

For the inexperienced this creates huge pressure. Can you imagine if MRJ was doing the guernsey promo today and not Monday and what the media would do grilling the kid?

Guarantee you Dimma will be asked again about it in after match presser

While I applaud his honesty on one hand it has clearly created a media frenzy that is not needed. I think he could have answered without saying "I give him my blessing". Because as we have seen the media hasn't commented much if at all on what he said prior or after he made that comment.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5604 on: May 18, 2022, 01:50:32 PM »
‘How does he get there?’ The Dusty-to-Sydney idea is ‘real’... working out how is difficult

Fox Sports
May 18th, 2022

AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson believes the prospect of Dustin Martin leaving Richmond before the end of his career is “real”, as comments from coach Damien Hardwick continue to draw interest.

Asked multiple times how he’d react if Martin - contracted for two more years - were to seek a trade or a move to New South Wales, Hardwick told reporters the three-time Norm Smith medallist “has my blessing” to do what he sees fit.

Speaking as part of AFL 360’s ‘real or over-reaction’ segment, Robinson was presented with the idea Martin could be playing in Sydney next year.

“Overreaction, but talk to me in two years’ time,” he said.

“In two years’ time you ask me is Dusty going to be in Sydney and I’m going to answer real.

“How does he get there (if he were to leave at the end of this year)? He’s on a million plus, people are saying he might go at the end of this year.

“How does Sydney fit $1 million into their salary cap and what do they give up to get him?”

AFL legend Leigh Matthews was taken aback by Hardwick’s comments, which he believed needlessly paved the way for a potential Martin exit.

“I reckon it’s the first time a coach has said, ‘If one of my players leaves I’ll support him.’ I find it a very strange thing to say, to be honest,” he said.

“I don’t know whether I’d be buying into saying I’d support him no matter what, to say we support him and if he leaves he’ll go with my blessing, that’s a very unusual comment.

“If anything I’d have thought it had opened the door up to the possibility that Dusty may look to go elsewhere at some point in his career.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-dustin-martin-trade-leaving-richmond-damien-hardwick-press-conference-trade-to-sydney-reaction/news-story/5a189f3b58d667987a93dd8f6ebe815e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5605 on: May 18, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
Why Tigers would prefer to deal with Giants over Swans if Dustin Martin requested a trade

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
May 18th, 2022 10:00 am

Triple premiership Bomber Tim Watson believes Richmond would prefer to deal with the Giants, rather than Sydney, should Brownlow Medallist Dustin Martin request a trade away from the Tigers.

Watson’s comments come after Richmond coach Damien Hardwick on Tuesday indicated he wouldn’t stand in Martin’s way if the superstar ultimately chose to continue his AFL career outside of Melbourne.

Speculation has intensified in recent weeks that Martin, who’s contracted to Richmond until the end of the 2024 season, may want to escape the Melbourne-based AFL bubble and relocate to Sydney to lead a more private life.

When pressed about the possibility of a Martin move by reporters on Tuesday, Hardwick said he hoped that prospect wouldn’t eventuate, but added the triple Norm Smith Medallist had already given the Tigers so much across his Punt Road stint to date.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and, to be honest, he has my blessing,” Hardwick said. “What he’s given me, us, our fans has been incredible.

“Whatever we get from here on is a real bonus, from my point of view, so I just luckily, like the rest of us, get to see him on a weekly basis perform and train the way he does.”

Speaking on SEN Breakfast on Wednesday morning, Watson said the Tigers would have the right to nominate tell the contracted Martin what club they’d prefer to deal with should he want to move to New South Wales.

“Hypothetically, if you were Richmond, would you allow somebody like a Dustin Martin to go to the Sydney Swans, who you may be competing with for a flag next year? I would say no,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“Damien Hardwick has almost said, which is extraordinary, he would ‘go with my blessing if he wanted to go’, so he‘s on the record as saying that now. But if Dustin came to you and said ‘look I do want to go to Sydney’, I would say, if I’m Richmond: ‘OK, you’ve been great for our football club, you can go and try and do a deal and go to GWS. But we’re not going to allow you to go to the Sydney Swans.’”

Martin, who’s won three flags and played 263 games since being drafted by Richmond with Pick 3 in the 2009 draft, has played a key role in the Tigers’ two most recent victories after returning from personal leave to mourn his late father Shane’s death in December.

It was reported last month that Martin had spent several weeks in Sydney while on leave, with both the Giants and Swans now monitoring Martin’s situation behind the scenes.

Watson said he wouldn’t be surprised if Martin had held significant conversations about his future with his management and people he trusted during his time away from the Tigers.

“I think what’s happened is there’s been a discussion in the time that Dustin was away,” Watson said. “I think they’ve had all these sorts of discussions about what he’s doing, how he’s feeling, where he wants to play his football, where he may want to live – all those sorts of things. I think they’ve been on the table.

“And in the process of having that discussion, it may have been brought up with Ralph Carr, his manager, he (Martin) would like to at some point move away from Melbourne and out of the bubble and he might like to finish his career playing up in Sydney.

“I don‘t think it’s a stretch to say that that conversation has taken place somewhere at Richmond.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-dustin-martin-trade-tigers-would-prefer-sydney-swans-over-gws-giants-says-tim-watson-richmond-contract/news-story/f7e5715625b2a4a5f9ba29084f5bc0b1

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5606 on: May 18, 2022, 01:53:03 PM »
Always will be a Richmond legend .

Who won the Kennedy/Judd trade ?? My money is on West Coast.

We could clean up here .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5607 on: May 18, 2022, 01:57:18 PM »
Always will be a Richmond legend .

Who won the Kennedy/Judd trade ?? My money is on West Coast.

We could clean up here .

Agree with all this

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5608 on: May 18, 2022, 02:09:12 PM »
We're dusting off the Trade Bell!

*IF* Dustin Martin requested a trade to a NSW side, what would Sydney or GWS have to give up in a trade to Richmond?

Let's have some *hypothetical* fun.

https://twitter.com/WhateleySEN/status/1526723630146547712

Tom Green to Richmond.

Dustin Martin to GWS.

Who says no?

https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1526724552218116101

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5609 on: May 18, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »

Cannot agree with you here Gracie.

Yes the question will be asked in every interview anyone from the Club does going forward

For the inexperienced this creates huge pressure. Can you imagine if MRJ was doing the guernsey promo today and not Monday and what the media would do grilling the kid?

Guarantee you Dimma will be asked again about it in after match presser

While I applaud his honesty on one hand it has clearly created a media frenzy that is not needed. I think he could have answered without saying "I give him my blessing". Because as we have seen the media hasn't commented much if at all on what he said prior or after he made that comment.

Dimmas comments become the party line. MRJ can now answer "as Dimma said...." pressure is off the kids. Questions can still be asked but the same answer comes back. Different if Dimma didn't offer up those comments then it would dominate any future interviews.

The actual pressure for answering the question has been thrown back onto Dusty and Ralph Carr