Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 286468 times)

Offline Wazza

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2955 on: May 08, 2024, 02:36:07 PM »
Considering the AFL is a multi million if not billion dollar industry, we still have under paid and to be fair poor quality umpires. Along with the shocking score review system in place, surely the AFL should be spending more money in this area. Some of the decisions we have seen across the league this year have been shocking, from balls out of bounds, score reviews that aren't required and of course the obvious missed calls that all can see. These missed calls can turn a game, and especially when there is betting agencies involved, this continued ignorance should not continue as it is more than just a game these days.
Train the umps correctly, pay them more and penalise poor mistakes and missed calls so that they learn not to make them again.
Sorry for the rant...I didn't expect to actually write this much. I just get sick of having things not paid to us that the other teams get in the same game. We dont lose games due to these calls but it can definitely change a specific play.
Anyways....there's always next week
 :banghead

Meanwhile the AFL is floating the idea of premiership/grand final rings which wouldn't be cheap :-\

Just goes to show the business model of the AFL is to keep their favourite teams/CEOs/sponsers happy and really forget about the fans who pay their wages and support the game we love.

We aren't the NFL do we really need rings? Think of something original!!!

Can you really see see Dusty and co. walking the streets with a rings on???  :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2956 on: May 08, 2024, 02:42:38 PM »
Considering the AFL is a multi million if not billion dollar industry, we still have under paid and to be fair poor quality umpires. Along with the shocking score review system in place, surely the AFL should be spending more money in this area. Some of the decisions we have seen across the league this year have been shocking, from balls out of bounds, score reviews that aren't required and of course the obvious missed calls that all can see. These missed calls can turn a game, and especially when there is betting agencies involved, this continued ignorance should not continue as it is more than just a game these days.
Train the umps correctly, pay them more and penalise poor mistakes and missed calls so that they learn not to make them again.
Sorry for the rant...I didn't expect to actually write this much. I just get sick of having things not paid to us that the other teams get in the same game. We dont lose games due to these calls but it can definitely change a specific play.

Meanwhile the AFL is floating the idea of premiership/grand final rings which wouldn't be cheap :-\

Just goes to show the business model of the AFL is to keep their favourite teams/CEOs/sponsers happy and really forget about the fans who pay their wages and support the game we love.

Can you really see see Dusty and co. walking the streets with a rings on???  :shh

Why must we blindly follow absolutely everything the yanks do? Might as well just make Fatchison CEO of the AFL - he wants to seppo-ise the stuff out of the game.... :facepalm
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2957 on: May 08, 2024, 03:08:20 PM »

Why must we blindly follow absolutely everything the yanks do? Might as well just make Fatchison CEO of the AFL - he wants to seppo-ise the stuff out of the game.... :facepalm

I bet the umpires get them as well and they will proudly wear them

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2958 on: May 08, 2024, 03:14:40 PM »

I bet the umpires get them as well and they will proudly wear them

...during games....even if they're umpired 10 grand finals.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2959 on: May 08, 2024, 10:45:53 PM »

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2960 on: Yesterday at 12:16:10 AM »

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/07/the-2024-free-kick-ladder-round-8/

RFC career free kick differential

Dusty -150
Nankervis -101
Bolton -72
McIntosh -52
Pickett -50
Baker -46
Graham -33
Lynch -20
Vlastuin -19
Balta -18
Broad -17
Short -6
Prestia +17
Grimes +18
D.Rioli +46

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/richmond.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2961 on: Yesterday at 12:19:40 AM »
"I repeat the question, why do you hate Richmond?"

Don't worry, Mick. Laura Kane came prepared

https://twitter.com/thefrontbar7/status/1788164650816995688

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2962 on: Yesterday at 07:26:48 AM »

I get the Front Bar is mostly a comedy show and I'll confess I rarely watch it as I find Malloy not funny and an embarrassment when it comes to Richmond

But last night they had a chance to put her on the spot and ask her opinion on some of the frees from last week

No, they couldn't do that Malloy had to come with the above to get a few laughs :help

Doesn't and didn't help the Tigers cause, making a joke about it lets them of the hook.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2963 on: Yesterday at 07:56:02 AM »

I get the Front Bar is mostly a comedy show and I'll confess I rarely watch it as I find Malloy not funny and an embarrassment when it comes to Richmond

But last night they had a chance to put her on the spot and ask her opinion on some of the frees from last week

No, they couldn't do that Malloy had to come with the above to get a few laughs :help

Doesn't and didn't help the Tigers cause, making a joke about it lets them of the hook.

Absolute garbage. It is a comedy show not AFL360. Mick put her under pressure and did exactly what was required. The big wigs at the CFL are now on notice,

At least Mick isn’t an AFL sycophant or apologist like Wankley and Caro

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2964 on: Yesterday at 07:59:04 AM »

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/07/the-2024-free-kick-ladder-round-8/

RFC career free kick differential

Dusty -150
Nankervis -101
Bolton -72
McIntosh -52
Pickett -50
Baker -46
Graham -33
Lynch -20
Vlastuin -19
Balta -18
Broad -17
Short -6
Prestia +17
Grimes +18
D.Rioli +46

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/richmond.html

stuff they hate Dusty. If that was Dangerflop it would be +150

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2965 on: Yesterday at 01:08:38 PM »

Absolute garbage. It is a comedy show not AFL360. Mick put her under pressure and did exactly what was required. The big wigs at the CFL are now on notice,

At least Mick isn’t an AFL sycophant or apologist like Wankley and Caro

I'd be right in suggesting your a Malloy fan

He "put her under pressure"?

He did alot but putting her under any form for pressure for how the umpiring dept is running wasn't one of them

What whatever, each to their own
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2966 on: Yesterday at 06:21:48 PM »
I believe that she only went on the show for pr reasons . The show is alight hearted show and does not pretend to be anything else. That is its appeal. She would have known what to expect beforehand and my suspicion is she only agreed to go on the show as she would not be subjected to tough questioning.  What is far more important is the fact that the club's ill treatment by umpires is getting traction in the media. It is not being dismissed as a club whingeing and is being recognised as being a legitimate concern. The more media pressure the better. The AFL are conscious of their brand and will if enough pressure is applied be forced to act.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2967 on: Yesterday at 06:30:25 PM »
If Mick Malloy was a real Richmond supporter he would've smacked Andy Maher in the mouth years ago... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2968 on: Yesterday at 07:34:52 PM »
She would never give him a straight answer whether he's being funny or tough.

This weekend we will be +1 or +2 for frees IMO. Watch this space.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2969 on: Yesterday at 07:54:57 PM »
She would never give him a straight answer whether he's being funny or tough.

This weekend we will be +1 or +2 for frees IMO. Watch this space.
If we win the free kick count by 1 or 2, we will win the game  by15 goals.