Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference/ Tigers in the biggest hole of his tenure  (Read 1483 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma post-match ...

VIDEO:  http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=632221

Tigers in 'the biggest hole' but Hardwick still has finals hopes
Nat Edwards
afl.com.au 
April 12, 2014

DAMIEN Hardwick hasn't given up on Richmond's finals aspirations but he concedes the Tigers find themselves in "the biggest hole" of his tenure.

The Tigers slumped to a third loss from their first four games of 2014 with a 38-point loss to Collingwood on Friday night at the MCG.

Over the past five years, only two sides have recovered from a 1-3 start to the season.

Carlton did so last year after Essendon's suspension from the finals series following the Bombers' supplements scandal, while Hawthorn scraped into the top eight after a 1-6 start to the 2010 season.

"I think it's the biggest hole we've been in," Hardwick said after the match.

"I think the character of us as a football side will be on show for the next month. We've got a long way to go and it was a really disappointing effort tonight."

The next month is set to be season-defining for the Tigers, who have a six-day break before playing the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba next Friday night, and then face reigning premier Hawthorn and Geelong.

But Hardwick wasn't willing to concede his side's season could practically be over within a month.

"I'll just be worried about the four points versus Brisbane," he said.

"We're playing on their dunghill so the season's still alive, it's going to be a very close competition this year.

"It's probably the way we want it (a tough draw), to be honest. To get your best performance, you've got to the set the bar high and to play against the best is where we want to be.

"We've got to address few things, get better and move on."

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin had a tough night at the office, managing just 13 disposals after being well held by Collingwood tagger Brent Macaffer.

Macaffer drew some criticism for his close-checking tactics, which were described by former Carlton coach David Parkin on ABC radio as "illegal", but Hardwick refused to be drawn on the issue.

"It's probably your guys' job to look at that one," he said.

"He's a better man than I am, put it that way, Cotch. There are some people out there that do give the protection.

"At the end of the day, I'll be showing my players that's how you tag. [Macaffer] did an outstanding job.

"I thought [Cotchin] tried his backside off. We had players try and help but Macaffer … he did a very good job. He kept him to 13 touches, that doesn’t happen very often."

When asked if he was referring to Cotchin's teammates or the umpires when it came to the "people" supposed to be providing protection against taggers, Hardwick was once again coy.

"Don't get me in trouble," Hardwick warned.

"I'll leave that one to your imagination."

Richmond will fly to Brisbane on Wednesday leaving very little time on the training track for Hardwick to try and restore his team's confidence.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-12/tigers-not-extinct-yet
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:53:38 AM by one-eyed »

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Cotchin getting 13 touches instead of 30 wasn't the reason why we got smashed in every aspect of the game. Its one problem that should have been solved by other team mates helping him. Only saw Jackson bump into McAffer once and saw Martin do it once. pee
Go Tigers!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Time to bring out the big stick coach.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick said he expected he and the club to come under heavy criticism this week.

“That’s the harsh reality of our world, it’s all part and parcel of it. The blowtorch will come, good luck,” he said.

“I don’t worry about it, it is what it is. We know where we’re at and that we’ve got to get better.

“We’ve got to get better. That’s what is going to drive this club forward. We’ve got to keep persevering, keep demanding more of each other and keep putting more on the line to get where we want to go.

“We are well short of what we’re capable of.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damian-hardwick-bemoans-lack-of-protection-for-captain-trent-cotchin-in-38point-loss-to-richmond/story-fndv8t7m-1226881543956

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Dimma trying to say the umpires should be giving Cotch protection?

What a flaming joke. 
You can't rely on the umpires mate.
Your destiny is in your own hands. Teach the bloody team to stick up for each other especially their captain.
It's absolutely unacceptable that Macaffer was allowed to get away with it.

Stop breeding a bunch of pansy sissy's and maybe they'll fight for something. 

Bunch of pretenders coached by someone in denial.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'm gunna do a Shaun Grigg. Can't be stuffed.

Someone just gimme the dot points of excuses. Cheers.  :cheers

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
I'm gunna do a Shaun Grigg. Can't be stuffed.

Someone just gimme the dot points of excuses. Cheers.  :cheers

• Bum crack, Bum crack, Bum crack, Bum crack
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looking forward to Dimma dissection this week.

Pick out token bad bit of play. Paper over it, don't actually fix it come next game.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
The dissection was done in the war room last night on Fox and it wasnt pretty. Common theme was very poor efforts by a number of individuals and not up to AFL standard. So I think this week the dissection should be about Hardwick himself and whether he has the balls ( take in scene from the movie " The Heat" :lol) to make the decisions he has to make or risk losing all credibility as a coach which to be honest he is well on the way to doing anyway.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Won't be long before we start accepting honourable losses agin and start the rebuilding crap.. :scream
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

Won't be long before we start accepting honourable losses agin and start the rebuilding crap.. :scream

Great whilst Melbourne, St Kilda and a few other shittt clubs march right past us again.
Fantastic. :thumbsup

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Well Melbourne and Carlton are already in a tank duel this year so it's no point us joining in that
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Harsh reality being criticized????

How will it be harsh to criticize a 1-3 start???

This is the AFL not under 10s
Go Tigers!

tony_montana

Looking forward to Dimma dissection this week.

Pick out token bad bit of play. Paper over it, don't actually fix it come next game.

That's the thing that has been infuriating me and dare I say it you and other supporters, more than anything else(that and his selection policies).

In all fairness to him, this is the first time I heard him publicly tell it how it is.  I hope he maintains this honesty with himself and the group moving fwd, if he does I have no doubt he can salvage it, if he continues to paper over the cracks then this is the beginning of the inevitable end for him.