Author Topic: Hardwick still haunted by horror elimination final loss to Kangaroos (afl site)  (Read 5212 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick still haunted by horror elimination final loss to Kangaroos

AFL.com.au
January 29, 2016

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is still haunted by his team's contested ball capitulation in last year's elimination final, with one number seared in his brain.

The Tigers uncharacteristically lost the contested possession count against North Melbourne by 33 in their 17-point loss at the MCG, exiting the finals at the first hurdle for the third straight year.

The manner of the loss prompted Hardwick to deliver what he said was possibly the biggest spray of his coaching career.

"I still remember that number – 33 – that number still haunts me," Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"We were ranked No.2 in contested ball differential for the year and to have that number stick out at the end of the game was un Richmond-like.

"At half-time we might have been up by two goals, but the template of KPIs was there and we could tell it was a false positive.

"You're never going to win if you lose the contested ball count by that much."

The Tigers have moved on and recruited to strengthen their contested game, bringing in hard-bodied midfielders Jacob Townsend and Andrew Moore.

The loss to the Kangaroos, however, warrants more dissection five months on.

Richmond's team selection leading into that final landed with a thud after the match committee opted to recall tall forward Ben Griffiths (finger tendon) and midfielder Reece Conca (hamstring) after injury lay-offs.

The pair replaced half-forwards Ben Lennon and Sam Lloyd but didn't give the Tigers the lift the coaches felt the team needed.

The theory behind the changes was that Griffiths would give them the extra tall they needed and Conca's selection was a risk worth taking.

Lennon had "probably sealed his fate" with a poor game the week prior, while Lloyd was stiff.

"They're the decisions you make as a coach, and I still stand by those decisions," Hardwick said.

"It didn't work out for us on the day, but if I could go back and do it again I'd do it again.

"Griffiths had two shots on goal in the first quarter and misses both. If he kicks those two goals we're hailed geniuses as a coaching group instead of having egg on our face.

"We're paid to make those decisions and we live or die by those decisions. We don't hide from that."

Out of contract at the end of this season, there is growing external pressure on Hardwick to lead the Tigers deep into September.

President Peggy O'Neal has said the coach's contract would be discussed at board level early in the year but it is not on Hardwick's radar.

"From my point of view, it's not something I delve into too much," he said.

"I just worry about our season ahead and what I can control right now.

"If our group does a good enough job those things take care of themselves.

"My primary focus at this moment is getting our side playing as good as we can for that round one match against Carlton."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-29/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-still-haunted-by-horror-elimination-final-loss-to-kangaroos

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
"We were ranked No.2 in contested ball differential for the year and to have that number stick out at the end of the game was un Richmond-like.

"At half-time we might have been up by two goals, but the template of KPIs was there and we could tell it was a false positive.

Like WTF?

Damien your game day coaching was poohouse and this technobabble is just that.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Everyone on OER is still haunted by the horror Elimination loss to North.
Unleash the tornado

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
There's a lot to hate about that article. :fencing
Unrichmond like, I mean seriously?
You'd make the same decision at the selection table again? :huh
Lennon sealed his fate?
Like you've sealed yours by speaking such crap 8 weeks out from a crucial season for the club - biggest in 34 years.

Deluded numbskull
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is still haunted by his team's contested ball capitulation in last year's elimination final, with one number seared in his brain.

Which is why we are up poo creek without a paddle.
Coach blames the team - STILL.

No accountability, dimmer.
I don't think it's your fault tho..
The narcissism is too prevalent.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
It would be 'un Richmond like' to win an EF.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
That article is choc full o' cringe.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

Like WTF?

Damien your game day coaching was poohouse and this technobabble is just that.

Yes It was poohouse and so were the selections, but losing the contested ball and clearances was also amajor reason we lost.

It's also the answer to the statement that 'we were in the game and only just lost' which some posters  peddle. We were not in the game and lucky not to be blown away by 10 goals
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
And yet recruiting Townsend and Moore will fix our contested ball in a game which in losing the contested possession was "unrichmond like"
I'm assuming "unrichmond like" is a Danny Frawley way of saying "uncharacteristic" which implies our contested work is normally a strength.
So let's recruit fringe list players to fix a strength which was a weakness in a final.
Is that what he is trying to say?
Also, is he saying he'd pick unprepared players again in a final?
Will Troy Chaplain also trying and blind turn into a Robin Nahas tackle again?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Yep. I expect Townsend and Moore to have minimal impact
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Didn't Lennon receive a rising star nomination the week before? You play one bad game and you're dropped? There were several players that played badly the week before but still got a game......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Didn't Lennon receive a rising star nomination the week before? You play one bad game and you're dropped? There were several players that played badly the week before but still got a game......

yea right, dominated with a 12 possession , 0.1 game against the Roos reserves

FFS stop trying to rewrite history :)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

yea right, dominated with a 12 possession , 0.1 game against the Roos reserves

FFS stop trying to rewrite history :)
???????
He got a rising star nomination in round 22. The game against the roos was round 23. He didn't play well as a half forward yet he still got 12 possessions. What stats did Conca or Griffiths have that replaced him?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

exhibit a. chris newman

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-richmond-tigers--chris-newman
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Conca had 2 games for the entire year before coming straight in