Author Topic: NAB AFL U18 National Championships 2007  (Read 26156 times)

Ramps

Re: NAB AFL U18 National Championships 2007
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
Natanui would kick 80 goals a year at full forward standing on peoples heads taking grabs in the goalsquare, before having a run around the ground. Kreuzer in 2007 and Natanui in 2008 and RFC will have 2 stars.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2007, 05:01:47 PM »
Natanui would kick 80 goals a year at full forward standing on peoples heads taking grabs in the goalsquare, before having a run around the ground. Kreuzer in 2007 and Natanui in 2008 and RFC will have 2 stars.
His AIS/draft camp results would be incredible for vertical leap.

Sadly standing on people's heads is a dying art in AFL footy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
People need to get over this notion that great athletes make great players.  Yes Natanui is a great athlete but he struggles with the basics of football.  he's young and he might learn but give me a natural footballer anyday.  I just want us to recruit natural smart footballers who are not slugs.

Agree with MT about not choosing a ruckman with the first pick.  Kruezer has too much Josh Fraser's about him for my liking. 

I've watched the WA v VM game a few times now.  People dismissing Palmer may live to regret this.  He is a pure, smart, instinctive footballers who can cut you apart.  He is brilliant in close and dangerous in space.  Ignore the reports that he's slow and one sided - that's all crap.  Yes he uses his left alot but he's good enough to get to his left when most others can't.  A Shannon Grant type with more flair and spunk

Masten is a pure inside type.  If we lack inside mids and are desperate for them then we should seriously look at him.  He is at every contest, positions himself perfectly and can read the play, gather and dispose to a very high level.  He is a posession machine who makes the right decisions in tight and would take alot of heat off Foley.  A Kane Cornes type that will always have high posession numbers.

Alot of hype about Morton but I'm not convinced.  Great kick, great mark, good size.  But doesn't win his own ball and needs to be fed.  Not a true inside mid and not a true key position.  Will be great at a club with these 2 positions covered but we need the foundation work first before we can consider someone like him.  Goddard like.

Rance is the ultimate full back we've been crying out for.  194cm, fast, strong, agile and good skills.  Spitting image to Simmonds appearace wise.  Big enough to play on monsters and quick and agile enough to play on the quicker ff's.  Would seriously consider him at pick 1 coz he won't last till pick 17.  But do you recruit a full back at 1 or 2?

Pears is very impressive and was surprised at his height of 192cm's because of his speed and agility.  Great at spoiling and mopping up from his own spoil.  If we don't get Rance we should seriously consider him at 17.

Kruezer - good, great, can see where the hype is coming from.  But a ruck at 1?  Big question.  think inside mids and key backs are more urgent.

Cotchin - had a shoulder injury and was dissapointing. Great TAC reports but it bothers me he can't shake a tag.  Do we need another Deledio?

There is definately alot of talent in that WA squad and wouldn't mind if we picked up 6 kids from there.

Some other kids I like that we can look at with mid picks -
WA - Gourdis, McGinnity, Ellard, Myers
VM - Simpson,

Later picks -
WA - Garlett, Jackey
VM - Polkinghorne, Sullivan.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »
good summary HH, pretty much spot on  :clapping

I wouldn't mind Kreuzer, he is a very very good player. Holds his own in the ruck, but absolutely kills it around the ground. Racks up huge numbers, good kick, very mobile.

My number 1 at this stage.

If we can upgrade our PP to a 7-14 pick and pick up McEvoy, i will be wanting Cotchin or Masten at no.1

Although had a sub-par champs still rate him very highly. My only question on Masten is his kicking and burst speed. Pretty good speed over longer distances and a great tank. Just lacks that speed to quickly burn out away from contests. Kicking is very good over shorter distances (<40 m) but hit and miss and lacks penetration over longer distances

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »
good summary HH, pretty much spot on  :clapping
Ditto. Well said Harry  :clapping.

Ending up with pick 2 may be a blessing. Keeping hold of our priority pick is the priority (excuse the pun). We need to find another first round pick preferably in the top 10.

Ramps

« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
Agree with MT about not choosing a ruckman with the first pick.  Kruezer has too much Josh Fraser's about him for my liking. 

I've watched the WA v VM game a few times now.  People dismissing Palmer may live to regret this.  He is a pure, smart, instinctive footballers who can cut you apart.  He is brilliant in close and dangerous in space.  Ignore the reports that he's slow and one sided - that's all crap.  Yes he uses his left alot but he's good enough to get to his left when most others can't.  A Shannon Grant type with more flair and spunk

Alot of hype about Morton but I'm not convinced.  Great kick, great mark, good size.  But doesn't win his own ball and needs to be fed.  Not a true inside mid and not a true key position.  Will be great at a club with these 2 positions covered but we need the foundation work first before we can consider someone like him.  Goddard like.

Rance is the ultimate full back we've been crying out for.  194cm, fast, strong, agile and good skills.  Spitting image to Simmonds appearace wise.  Big enough to play on monsters and quick and agile enough to play on the quicker ff's.  Would seriously consider him at pick 1 coz he won't last till pick 17.  But do you recruit a full back at 1 or 2?

Wouldnt surprise me if Kreuzer or Morton is picked by us at our first pick. I understand Morton is well liked at Punt Rd.

Rance is the player I most want from this draft. Have said it for months and will continue to say, he looks like the type of player we can turn into a Full Back. To get him we need an upgrade- I would be doing whatever I could to get the pick to get him.

Palmer shouldnt be on the radar for us. Hes overated by many in my opinion. Only a one sided player, not overly quick, a dime a dozen type player in the AFL.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
Morton although a fantastic talent, is not what Richmond are crying out for.

what we need ATM is an inside mid, not one who is a classy finisher but can't win his own ball.

Masten is the one i'd be looking at over in WA for our 1st pick

Ramps

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
I like Mastens use of the footy by hand. I get the feeling he could allow the deledios of this world to really shine, the problem is we have so many holes and not enough picks. we are a rabble at the moment.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2007, 05:04:01 PM »
I personally don't mind Masten, gut-busting runner, makes it to so many contests. Fantasticly clean hands and has the composure to extract the ball with class.

As you said Ramps, by hand he is fine and I have no qualms.

Only flaws are IMO long-kicking and acceleration.

Short-kicking is actually rather good IMO, but kicking long is very hit and miss. Firstly lacks penetration, and this affects his accuracy.

I hear he is a junior champ at 400 and 800 m. And from what I have seen beyond 10 or so metres, he speed is pretty good. But it is the first couple of steps that have me questioning him. In terms of foot speed rather like Marc Murphy, so if Murphy can hide this flaw then Masten probably could.

BTW, a poster on PRE by the name of LukeHodge15 reckons that Masten may actually slide to our current PP pick  :o Would be brilliant if it happened. But this could quite possibly happen. Read some posts last year on BF that he is a bit of a party boy and likes the grog (don't quote me though). Connors allegedly is similar and he slid, so Masten may be a chance to slide, although not as far because the depth of this year's draft is no where near as good as last.

Rance looks like a good prospect, but if we managed on upgrade to a pick around 10, and Rance, Henderson and McEvoy were available. In terms of my preferences it would be McEvoy>Henderson>Rance

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
We should seriously look at Masten with our first pick.  He is very good with his hands in close and has great smarts.  Nathan Foley would benefit from having Masten alongside him because at the moment he is the only player opposition teams put a heavy tag on.  Having another classy extractor will release Foley who would be even more damaging than he already is.  The other benefits of getting Masten would be (a) we can turn over the likes of Tuck and Johnson quicker along with their associated clangers, and (b) it would help the outside types of Tambling, Deledio, JON, Casserly, Meyer etc with cleaner and more effective clearance work.  It's a ripple effect where the first ripple is created by the classy extractors.  Hawthorn looked a shadow of itself without Mitchell.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Tigermonk

« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
Blaszer from Gippsland Power would be one of my picks he's under the radar a bit & could be a huge pickup from 30 to 50 for any club
Played senior football for trafalgar at young age & continues to rise to the next levels

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
Blaszer from Gippsland Power would be one of my picks he's under the radar a bit & could be a huge pickup from 30 to 50 for any club
Played senior football for trafalgar at young age & continues to rise to the next levels

what type of player is he

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »
What about Jackson Hall? I saw him play, and he's a nice size for an AFL wingman.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »
We should seriously look at Masten with our first pick.  He is very good with his hands in close and has great smarts.  Nathan Foley would benefit from having Masten alongside him because at the moment he is the only player opposition teams put a heavy tag on.  Having another classy extractor will release Foley who would be even more damaging than he already is.  The other benefits of getting Masten would be (a) we can turn over the likes of Tuck and Johnson quicker along with their associated clangers, and (b) it would help the outside types of Tambling, Deledio, JON, Casserly, Meyer etc with cleaner and more effective clearance work.  It's a ripple effect where the first ripple is created by the classy extractors.  Hawthorn looked a shadow of itself without Mitchell.
If we don't get first pick then, yeah Harry, Masten is one to look at. I know Cotchin was carrying a shoulder injury in the U18 Champs and we all know who was the last early pick not to go No 1 due to concerns about his shoulders but we really need a genuine ballwinner or two at centre clearances to go with Foley.