Author Topic: Your thoughts on our other debutants - Vickery, Rance and Thomson?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Your thoughts on our other debutants - Vickery, Rance and Thomson?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »
Rance - I thought he struggled a bit in keeping up with the tempo in the 1st qtr but as his nerves settled he got better

Vickery - lots of good signs. His skills for a big bloke (that little chip kick around the corner) are very good

Thompson - liked his game for the crashing through to get the ball. Again I reckon he was nervous to start with but got better as the game went on

Hislop - I think his chasing and defensive pressure in the F50 was good but the kicking is a worry

It is interesting to hear peoples opinions and how vastly they differ depending on whether they were watching on TV or at the game...

Tambling was one of the best players in our side on the night. He was one of the few players that broke the lines and allowed us opportunities to work our way through their zone. TV tends to focus on the action at hand so you can't see what going on around or ahead which is probably why some people believe he made more mistakes that he actually did. He played a good game.

Totally agree Stripes :thumbsup

Rance: looked very promising.  ran hard from half back linking up and breaking the lines.  has the body size to handle the big forwards.  should have a good year ahead.

Vickery: Still a bit raw and light.  Dropped a couple of marks he should have had.  But was pleased with his hitout.  Good awareness and skills when he nudged presti under the ball, ran on and hooked the ball off the left to jack.  Also handled himself well in the ruck.

Hislop: Was a bit sloppy with his disposal and slightly slow when he runs.  But goes hard at it and does get to the ball.  Not in my 22 at the moment but should improve. Good depth player who can step up when needed.

Thomson: Extremely with his play.  brilliant in close, knows how to get the ball at the stoppage and dish out to teammates.  2nd and 3rd efforts are great would be a great addition to tuck and foley and hopefully cogs. Makes johnson a bit obsolete now.

Tambling was one of the best players in our side on the night. He was one of the few players that broke the lines and allowed us opportunities to work our way through their zone. TV tends to focus on the action at hand so you can't see what going on around or ahead which is probably why some people believe he made more mistakes that he actually did. He played a good game.

Overall he did pretty well it just looked like he shirked a marking contest and went in a bit soft at a few contests predominately in the third quarter.

Hopefully I just seen it wrong, it could be that I am spoiled by one Axel Foley who is a mad nut at the ball and looks to be on fire.

Thought he did well.  Presented well and got a few clearances too.  As for that play which the media claims he shirked the marking contest.  I tape the game last night and watched it again today.  he simply misread the ball and ran under it.  tambling isn't afraid of the physical marking contest.  Many times last year i saw him stand under the high ball and marking it with opponents bearing down on him.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »
Cant believe you still defend Tambling you lot.

I guess i should expect that, after all you all still pin your hopes on his cousin JON.
JON and Tambling running around in the midfield. Im sure 15 other clubs are shaking in their boots.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 11:09:34 AM »
Vickers looked far too raw to look a likely starter anytime soon, thought that he might have shown a bit more TBH, a strong grab perhaps to no avail...put away and develop at burgers

Rance looked to have plenty of belief in himself, carried the pill and showed a nice attack on the pill

Thompson got some quality touches in close..couple of mistakes but worth persevering with in pre season

Im pretty cool on Nahas...spends too much time chasing tail and not enough time with the pill...droipped an absolute sitter early that may have set things up, but that was the tone of the night ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Tigermonk

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »
the Tambling incident seems to have bought a bit of conjecture whether he shirked the issue or not, personally i thought the kick was too damn high from where i was sitting.
perhaps he has become the new whipping boy, hell every team has one.

reminded me of the day l seen Aaron Fiora

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »
the Tambling incident seems to have bought a bit of conjecture whether he shirked the issue or not, personally i thought the kick was too damn high from where i was sitting.

your point...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »

your point...

point is the only difference between Fiora and Tambling is the colour of their skin.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:41 PM »
Dont think so, way too harsh comparing him to Fiora.

Richie is ahead on all counts that matter vs Fiora and is still a developing player where Fiora had the benefit of playing in his prime ( :o)

I know stats dont mean anywhere near the all, but IMO Richie is way ahead of Fiora

From
FinalSiren.com - AFL Player Comparison

Player Totals
Player               MT   K     H    D     Avg  M    Avg HO Avg T    Avg FF  FA  G   Avg  B    SC   Rat     Avg
Aaron Fiora        140 1021 576 1597 11.4 564 4    45  0.3  200 1.4  90  78  58  0.4   62  410  7018   50.1
Richard Tambling 75   611  408 1019 13.6 339 4.5 15  0.2  194  2.6 57  40  50   0.7  41   341  4735  63.1
Totals               215 1632 984 2616 12.2 903 4.2 60  0.3  394 1.8 147 118 108 0.5  103 751  11753 54.7

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »

point is the only difference between Fiora and Tambling is the colour of their skin.
You seem to spend too much time referring to Tambling's ethnicity/skin colour - it's irrelevant, and it doesn't sit well with me.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »

your point...

well i wouldnt have expected anything less of a response.