Author Topic: Your thoughts on our other debutants - Vickery, Rance and Thomson?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Amongst all the Cousins drama and hype, we had 3 others making their debut in Y&B - Vickery, Rance and Thomson. How did you rate all 3 efforts last night?

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Your thoughts on our other debutants - Vickery, Rance and Thomson?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:12:51 AM »
Rance-ok Vickery-still too wet behind the ears Thompson- faired well, obvious he has played before

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
Vickery and Rance good

Thompson might have me eating my words. looks really good

Hislop wont have me eating my words. Another useless pick

Cuz reasonable. First hitout will get his fitness back.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:50:15 AM »
I hinestly thought that they all did a not too bad job in the wash up of the game.
Though all the focus was on the one player.
And I see only good thing's for us with them all.
And Hislop I really thought he did okay so I will wait till the season proper to make a full remark on him.
At the moment with las tnight game I thought he did okay.
Sorry Daniel61., just remember Troy's firsdt few games. he wasn't too good but got better and better.
And I see the same happening here.

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
We lost but we found 3 players. All of Vickery, Rance and Thomson did some nice things throughout the game. Hislop needs to do more, seemed a bit slow. Right now Id only play 1 of Thomson or Hislop, and Thomson is in front for a position in the 22 vs Carlton.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »
All this talk about Tambling playing off half back, i'd play Rance.

Quick, has height and backs himself.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »
To be honest, there were only a couple of possitives to come from this game. 

1. Most of the new guys showed something (not sure about Hislop). Think Rance will be good.
2. They play in Shepperton next week which is only 50 min drive for me so I can see them. That said, I am not sure if want to go and see guys missing targets, handballing to guys under the pump and playing just plain dumb. It may of been a practice match but there is no excuse for being thick. Nearly the whole team made bad decisions at one time or another.

If thats what they serve up in R1 we will get thumped. (the sky is not falling in)
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
Very impressed with Rance looks to be the real deal.  Wayne's view about the HBF position sounds good to me.

Vickery and Thompson showed a bit.

I think Hislop played a better game then the Freo one but just worried about his effectiveness.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »
Amongst all the Cousins drama and hype, we had 3 others making their debut in Y&B - Vickery, Rance and Thomson. How did you rate all 3 efforts last night?

Vickery has it but I expect him to spend most of the year at Coburg learning the trade.

Rance was impressive, Terry gave him the challenge going on Collingwood's #1 forward and his efforts were pretty good for a first gamer.

Thomson just needs to get some confidence in his kicking and we have a player.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »
Vickery: skinny, but i know once weight is on him, he will be good.

Rance: more matches he plays the better he will become, keep playing him Terry!

Thomson: can play, keep playing him.

Hislop: looks like being a waste of a pick, though if he run and tackle, he will be in our side every match.

Cousins: more matches and will get better.

Tambling: at cross-roads, two matches so far haven't been on par!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »
Vickery: skinny, but i know once weight is on him, he will be good.

Rance: more matches he plays the better he will become, keep playing him Terry!

Thomson: can play, keep playing him.

Hislop: looks like being a waste of a pick, though if he run and tackle, he will be in our side every match.

Cousins: more matches and will get better.

Tambling: at cross-roads, two matches so far haven't been on par!

Your not wrong there mate.

At the cross roads our richie is.

He is a black version of andrew raines with a bit of JON
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »
It is interesting to hear peoples opinions and how vastly they differ depending on whether they were watching on TV or at the game...

Tambling was one of the best players in our side on the night. He was one of the few players that broke the lines and allowed us opportunities to work our way through their zone. TV tends to focus on the action at hand so you can't see what going on around or ahead which is probably why some people believe he made more mistakes that he actually did. He played a good game.

Rance was the standout amoungst our recruits. He looked poised, strong and confident. In fact he seemed like an experienced player compared to our other newbees. He was strong, fast and made good decisions. I was very impressed.

Thomson looked hard at it and determined. I didn't see him run or break the packs but he could be a good addition to our mids this year.

Vickery was very agile, fast and skillful for someone of his size. When he builds up he will be much better in the ruck and as a key forward. He is a very exciting prospect for the future.

Nahas showed glimpses of brilliance but never got a chance near goal or to run down anyone. He is another likely type but needs more flow into the F50 with key forwards taking the heat. I fear all this zone play may hinder his impact on the game.

Hislop looked ordinary to my untrained eye. He was slow and a poor kick. Hope he improves.

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
Rance - I thought he struggled a bit in keeping up with the tempo in the 1st qtr but as his nerves settled he got better

Vickery - lots of good signs. His skills for a big bloke (that little chip kick around the corner) are very good

Thompson - liked his game for the crashing through to get the ball. Again I reckon he was nervous to start with but got better as the game went on

Hislop - I think his chasing and defensive pressure in the F50 was good but the kicking is a worry

It is interesting to hear peoples opinions and how vastly they differ depending on whether they were watching on TV or at the game...

Tambling was one of the best players in our side on the night. He was one of the few players that broke the lines and allowed us opportunities to work our way through their zone. TV tends to focus on the action at hand so you can't see what going on around or ahead which is probably why some people believe he made more mistakes that he actually did. He played a good game.

Totally agree Stripes :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:44:41 PM »

Overall he did pretty well it just looked like he shirked a marking contest and went in a bit soft at a few contests predominately in the third quarter.

Hopefully I just seen it wrong, it could be that I am spoiled by one Axel Foley who is a mad nut at the ball and looks to be on fire.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »
the Tambling incident seems to have bought a bit of conjecture whether he shirked the issue or not, personally i thought the kick was too damn high from where i was sitting.
perhaps he has become the new whipping boy, hell every team has one.