Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 760164 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5310 on: July 21, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »

Todays job keeper 2.0 cannot be faulted. Would like to see more stimulus to sectors harder hit like hospitality, aviation etc though i suspect thats on its way.

You say it cannot be faulted but then go on to outline the improvements you would like to see.

because that is not job keeper.  :banghead :banghead You do understand what other stimulus measures is right?

to repeat jobkeeper 2.0 cannot be faulted.

i know you are falling in love with scomo like ur other mates at the guardian.

must hurt to see Scotty delivering. Even the abc, guardian have caught on.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2020/jun/02/australians-are-warming-to-scott-morrisons-new-look-as-a-more-unifying-figure
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5311 on: July 21, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »

Todays job keeper 2.0 cannot be faulted. Would like to see more stimulus to sectors harder hit like hospitality, aviation etc though i suspect thats on its way.

You say it cannot be faulted but then go on to outline the improvements you would like to see.

because that is not job keeper. You do understand what other stimulus measures is right?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2020/jun/02/australians-are-warming-to-scott-morrisons-new-look-as-a-more-unifying-figure

Good try but they are directly related. Hospitality, aviation etc need extra stimulus because Scotty from Marketing didn't include them in JobKeeper.

And yes JobKeeper can be faulted. It was faulty (by your own admission) and it is still faulty for the same reason.

And those areas were left out of JobKeeper because there are no votes in it for Scotty from Marketing.

AND Scotty from Marketing has done nothing but make up fancy names for existing programs and follow others advice.

His initial thoughts were that the Economy would "snap back".

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5312 on: July 21, 2020, 07:51:12 PM »
Just watching Scotty from Marketing on the 7:30 report. I'm sorry but he is full of crap.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5313 on: July 21, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
He is a great leader having to deal with half with labor premiers wjp dont know what theyre doing

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5315 on: July 21, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »

because that is not job keeper. You do understand what other stimulus measures is right?

Good try but they are directly related. Hospitality, aviation etc need extra stimulus because Scotty from Marketing didn't include them in JobKeeper.

And yes JobKeeper can be faulted. It was faulty (by your own admission) and it is still faulty for the same reason.

And those areas were left out of JobKeeper because there are no votes in it for Scotty from Marketing.

AND Scotty from Marketing has done nothing but make up fancy names for existing programs and follow others advice.

His initial thoughts were that the Economy would "snap back".

you simply have nfi what you are talking about, but we all know that on here. I am associated with aviation and have  family members who own restaurants/cafes in the cbd. So yes i believe i know who gets what and job keeper is provided to both those sectors, and it is very helpful. Job keeper extended until March if your business has had a fall by over 30% enables you to keep staff on the books. No failed schemes that costs lives here, or do you prefer half arsed ones that put people in coffins?

Sometimes i think you just make up crap as you go along. The fact you largely ignore any criticism of dictator Dan proves proves that really.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5316 on: July 22, 2020, 08:40:09 PM »

I defy anybody to justify this from Scotty from Marketing.

An extra $10 million to Foxtel (to a total of $40 million) while slashing the ABC budget by $84 million.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/22/coalition-gives-another-10m-to-foxtel-to-boost-womens-sport-on-tv

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5317 on: July 22, 2020, 09:45:04 PM »
Shouldn't be funding Foxtel and should be selling off the ABC....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5318 on: July 23, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
Shouldn't be funding Foxtel and should be selling off the ABC....:shh

dont know. The abc lately is showing up dan the man to be the joke that he is, so im starting to warm to them.

Maybe Rudd was right they are turning right  :stupid

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5319 on: July 23, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »

I defy anybody to justify this from Scotty from Marketing.

An extra $10 million to Foxtel (to a total of $40 million) while slashing the ABC budget by $84 million.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/22/coalition-gives-another-10m-to-foxtel-to-boost-womens-sport-on-tv

The ABC should be shut down. A hotch potch 4th rate media organisation full of labor chronies and hacks who use tax payers money to propagate crap from the likes of get up lol. Close em down. They are a waste of money.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5320 on: July 23, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »

Kind of like im taking a hiatus.

I take it that this is directed at me?

Mocking or baiting? Which is it?

Both clearly against rules but I will let it goes as no one has reported it. So I will leave this part of your post here

I don't see why I need to explain my actions as to why I am not posting on this thread.

I have my reasons, they are personal and TBH none of yours or anyone else's business

But let me make it very clear. It has nothing to do with my views on Dan Andrew's performance or ScoMo's performance during this pandemic. Which for FWIW haven't changed. 

I get that doesn't suit your narrative but that's the way it is ... nothing more, nothing less

If I've learnt anything during this pandemic and in particular the last week having had to go through another COVID19 test amongst other things and that is there is far more important things going on right now than copping whacks, being mocked or baited for simply having an opinion on politics

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5321 on: July 23, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
SNIP  :banghead

Enough with the baiting and insults

I have removed the posts that have been reported and those that contributed to the baiting

Stick the the topic in a respectful way

If people cannot do that then suspensions under the 3 strikes policy will be issued
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5322 on: July 23, 2020, 03:54:59 PM »

The Sports Rorts affair rears it's ugly head again.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/23/sports-grants-tennis-club-launches-legal-challenge-to-bridget-mckenzies-handling-of-scheme

Lawyers for a tennis club denied a grant under the $100m community sport infrastructure program have launched a legal challenge against Sport Australia and Bridget McKenzie’s administration of the scheme.

In an application, filed on Thursday, Maurice Blackburn acting for the Beechworth Lawn Tennis Club asks the federal court to quash Sport Australia’s rejection and order it to reconsider giving the club a grant.

Maurice Blackburn principal Josh Bornstein said the application “is a test case that will determine whether Sport Australia acted unlawfully when awarding funds”.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5323 on: July 24, 2020, 12:26:06 AM »
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/homebuilder-package-most-effective-stimulus-in-a-decade/news-story/bb8eee9f142a0c876f291b5a4e3a19b9

Wow an effective policy that hasn't cost lives. A nice change  around here. PM delivering again.
Enjoy the read 65

The take-up rate of the federal government’s $688m HomeBuilder program could underwrite up to half all new expected dwellings in the housing market over six months, with the building industry saying some regions were recording highest activity levels in a decade.

The projections come as the housing sector on Monday recorded a 77 per cent jump in new home sales for June, the same month the scheme launched offering $25,000 grants for people to build new homes or substantially renovate.

The Master Builders Association has reported that in the past four weeks, activity in the sector had returned to pre-COVID-19 levels, saying the package had delivered the “most effective stimulus in decades”.

The Housing Industry Association said on Monday that without government intervention, the contraction could have cost up to half a million jobs in the second half of 2020.

The Australian understands almost 40,000 people have registered for HomeBuilder grants since the scheme was launched by Assistant Treasurer Michael Sukkar on June 4.

Treasury modelling originally forecast the program would support 21,000 new home builds and 7000 renovations or “rebuilds”.

:Is social housing worth the cost?|Space in the housing market for innovation|Outrage as remote supplies left to rot|Pell contemplated giving up fight
While not all registrations will translate into approvals, Treasury expects the original forecasts to be significantly exceeded

The economic shutdown had threatened to slash new home builds from the average 175,000 a year to as low as 100,000 because of the COVID-19 shutdown.

Master Builders Association chief executive Denita Wawn told The Australian: “Just today I been told by industry veterans who head some of the largest home building businesses in the country that this is the most effective government stimulus that they have seen in decades in the industry.

“Reports from members are backing this up on daily basis.

“Builders (who) have been doing it tough for years say they have had the best month in terms of sales since the GFC.

“State and local governments need to get cracking getting HomeBuilder applications processes up and running, fast-­tracking land releases, land titles and planning approvals so we can get more people into their own home and keep builders and tradies working.”

Ben and Elise Keeler hope to use HomeBuilder to build their first family home. The Perth couple purchased a house and land package, through local developer Cedar Woods, in June, soon after the package was announced, in Bushmead, west of the airport.

The extra grant offered by the state government as a sweetener to build a new home will see the Keelers ahead $45,000 when the home begins construction in coming months.

“It is like a mini Lotto win. It takes the load off a bit,” Mr Keeler said. “We were looking at established homes but began looking into the grants and decided to build. We’re looking forward to getting out of the rent trap.

“We have a young family and we want to bring them up in our own home where we don’t have to worry about rental inspections and can paint the little girl’s room pink if we want to.”

Mr Sukkar said the latest HIA data showed HomeBuilder was doing “exactly what it was intended to do — generate immediate construction activity that will engage tradies straight away”.

“HomeBuilder is about encouraging those who may have pulled back from undertaking a new build or substantial rebuild in March when the pandemic hit,” he said.

The head of one of the county’s largest construction companies, ABN Group chief executive Dale Alcock, said it had dragged Western Australia out of a five-year slump with an immediate pick-up in activity. “There has been frantic activity … anyone who qualifies has come out of the woodwork,” he said. “It’s been an amazing ­response. This is one of those industries that rides a rollercoaster … we were coming off a very low base. But the response has been a bit overwhelming … it’s a great problem to have.

“We are waiting to see four weeks on if we are going to see a moderation of inquiries.”

The HIA said there needed to be several more months of data to demonstrate whether the pick-up would be sustained.

The program has also faced criticism from Labor which called for more investment in social housing.

HIA chief economist Tim Reardon said the rebound in new home sales in June did not fully offset the dismal results of the preceding three months and “we are cautious of over-interpreting data from a single month”.

“Additional sales data from July and August will be necessary before drawing accurate estimates

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5324 on: July 24, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
Somebody else thinks Scotty from Marketing is incompetent.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/complacent-government-delivers-early-shock-therapy-to-prepare-public-for-cuts-20200723-p55ew1.html

Sorry, but this is the economic statement of a government that’s complacent about controlling the coronavirus and about getting a million unemployed people back to work. It sees its job as largely done. Now it’s time to quickly wind back its spending on supporting the economy and call for the bill.

You can tell Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Treasurer Josh Frydenberg decided this before the extent of the setbacks in Victoria and NSW became fully apparent. They have assumed that after the six-week lockdown in Melbourne, everything will be fine again.